Sudden Pussy Syndrome

Background: I experienced a problem today squatting that I have never had before. I have just recently switched to PL style squat from an OL full squat. I do a 5x5 as my ME day, and I do box squats on my DE day. The last 3 ME squat sessions have been PRs for me (no surprise there as I’m gradually increasing weights). I had 2 days off before the session in question. I am not in an overtrained state

Problem: Did my prelifting prep as usual (Surge) and took Power Drive. Set my PR by 4th set at 5 reps, so I stayed @ that weight. Took 4 minute rest period (walked around). Got ready for my 5th set ( @ same weight) and I couldn’t even get it out of the hole for one rep-no chance.

Sensing something off with my last set, I took the weight down by 45%, just to get some reps to hit technique. I got 2 (!) reps to failure. All my rest breaks were appropriate (4min) as I’ve always done them. I am also familiar with my current program, which is already in its 3rd week.

Have any of you experienced a similar onset of Sudden Pussy Syndrome (SPS)? What could explain this acute, total loss of strength? To hit a 5 rep PR, then only getting 2 reps @ 55% of that PR by 10 minutes later. I’m interested in learning what could cause this so I can avoid SPS occurring again.

Thanks
k

I could barely understand your post for some reason, it could be because I just woke up. It seems like your trying to say that you have a sudden weakness? It could be overtraining or lack of variety–maybe take a week off.

Only time this ever happened to me was one of two reason.

#1 I was getting the flu

#2 I hadn’t fully recovered yet.

Remember you don’t just recover from your last workout but everything else you did previous as well IE Job, Yard work, Hanging out, etc.

Or maybe you’re just a pussy.

Just kidding there.

It happens sometimes when pussies train too hard…no no, you see, that’s me kidding again.

Re-assess your previous workouts and see how much rest you actually need, it’s got to be overtraining. Especially if you’re training to failure on a regular basis the muscles can just be turned off from the CNS because the body senses it’s been to much work. Don’t work yourself into a hole, man.

I appreciate the responses, but often do overtrained people hit PRs, by 20lbs also? It was after the PR i flatlined.

Some days just ain’t as good as others. Could be the result of numerous factors, including outside stressors, inadequate sleep, concentration, fighting off a bug, etc. Or it could just be a bad day.

I usually just struggle through these and do the best I can (following the Nike creed: “Just do it.”).

Be happay about the pr and forget that last set! just an anomoly… or at least it should be. Think of the positve!! 20 lb pr!!! well done

Plans need NOT be set in stone if it aint there that day to go heavy rethink it and get a good workout. do what feels right maybe even higher rep work. Dont waste the time stay there get a good workout or Go the hell home and come back tomorrow.

Or unless you are just being a pussy bite the damn bullet and make your self do it.

[quote]kane101nod wrote:
I appreciate the responses, but often do overtrained people hit PRs, by 20lbs also? It was after the PR i flatlined.[/quote]

You were probably just tired. There’s a certain time during a workout when I can say “I’m fucking tired, there’s no point in me being here any longer”. Even if I had planned to do more, at that point I leave, because I’m not going to be able to give a full effort on any lift.

I had a similar problem once. For me, upping my carb intake before training helped a lot. I was burning more calories than I realized.

Maybe you ran out of quick energy stores… such as glycogen? Who can say really.

I don’t usually suggest eating right before working out, but maybe at least look into your nutritional status on that day.

I’m only speculating, which makes it likely I’ll make an idiot out of myself, but maybe the PR basically happened with a short term CNS boost because it was a PR, tiring out a lot of motor units, so in the later sets you just couldn’t get enough motor units to fire anymore.

I don’t know.

Sometimes I forget to have a coffee before a workout and then the weights feel heavier…

[quote]kane101nod wrote:
Background: I experienced a problem today squatting that I have never had before. I have just recently switched to PL style squat from an OL full squat. I do a 5x5 as my ME day, and I do box squats on my DE day. The last 3 ME squat sessions have been PRs for me (no surprise there as I’m gradually increasing weights). I had 2 days off before the session in question. I am not in an overtrained state

Problem: Did my prelifting prep as usual (Surge) and took Power Drive. Set my PR by 4th set at 5 reps, so I stayed @ that weight. Took 4 minute rest period (walked around). Got ready for my 5th set ( @ same weight) and I couldn’t even get it out of the hole for one rep-no chance.

Sensing something off with my last set, I took the weight down by 45%, just to get some reps to hit technique. I got 2 (!) reps to failure. All my rest breaks were appropriate (4min) as I’ve always done them. I am also familiar with my current program, which is already in its 3rd week.

Have any of you experienced a similar onset of Sudden Pussy Syndrome (SPS)? What could explain this acute, total loss of strength? To hit a 5 rep PR, then only getting 2 reps @ 55% of that PR by 10 minutes later. I’m interested in learning what could cause this so I can avoid SPS occurring again.

Thanks
k

[/quote]

k,

Willing to bet you were getting a strange pumped feeling on the way up, and this was a brutal set to get the reps. IMHO, you were right at the brink of your recovery ability. After a peak you go downhill very fast. On the fourth week of continuous PRing with the same exercise and reps, no surprise you were shot. HINTS: You will not be able to maintain even three weeks of continuous PRs on ME day with the same exercise as you adapt to this workout. Go to two weeks of a ME exercise then change. Repeat, then deload a week, best with high rep stuff.

Eventually one week of a movement for three weeks on ME day and deload every fourth week.

Congrats on the PRs.

I actually experienced something similar yesterday. I was doing incline db presses and on set 3 of 10 I couldn’t even get the weight off my chest for the first rep. Not sure what was going on, but I put the weights down shook it off and took a 2 minute rest. After that I blew through those last 8 sets like nothing ever happened. I guess what I’m getting at here is that it happens from time to time and probably isn’t that big of a deal unless its a recurring thing.

I think Cap’n Salty is right on. Sometimes you just get tired. You said you set a few straight PRs, so I’m not surprised. Also take a look at your nutrition that day and see if it was different at all than other days (not just preworkout, I mean before that). Just change up your workout and do something fresh. Good progress is good progress.

And vroom, respectfully, glycogen is just not a huge worry at long rest periods and low(er) reps. I’d be more concerned with form and CNS and accumulated fatigue over the cycle.

I have read reports from AIS strength coaches that the CNS drain of an ME PR can take up to three weeks to recover from. You did 3 in 3 weeks. Your body might have felt fine, but your CNS just went “Nope - not today”.

Take Jack’s advice and start incorporating deload weeks.

I feel as if I’m receiving praise for PRs I do not deserve. the ‘PRs’ were set on wide-stance, low bar, parallel PL style squats. The 3 PRs were the 1st time I’ve EVER done this exercise, so it was primarily form/technique that accomplished this, more so than intensity. Only the last week really pushed it. I was also under the impression that technique work can be done with high frequency.

However in hindsight, especially with all the above posted comments, i must be underestimating the CNS impact of these lifts and should start cycling this exercise regardless of my inexperiance with it.

Would wide-stance, low bar GMs be too similar to use, or should i go back to my OL form for a few?

Thanks for the thoughtful comments,
I often find myself rather stubborn, but nothing beats some T-men @ consensus.
-k

You’re probably just some pansy pillow biter K. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.
just kidding,

I agree with Jack, it’s probably your CNS more than anything. Try some variety or deloading.

Of course, it still might just be SPS…

Can’t be strong everyday bro.

Try again tomorrow. If it sticks around you know there’s a problem.