Such a Thing as a Fair Fight in the Street?

lmao at cudgel bearer i nearly pissed myself

i think we need to amend the dueling rules to make room for proper weather and adequate location

all duels agreed upon by both parties shal be differed to the don of the next fair weathered day if the current weather is deemed undesirable.

also duels shal not be carried out in fruit orchards of any kind nor around nut bearing trees

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

[quote]fnf wrote:
Well, when I used to play Street Fighter back in the day, I was described as a cheap fighter when I used to play Dhalsim. All I would do is fireball, wait for the guy to jump over and then use kick button to eventually win.
Wait, you’re talking about a fight in the street. Then just roll deep, know the Samoan bouncers by the club nearby and you’re good to go if shit goes down.[/quote]

If we’re talking cheap Street Fighter tactics, then there weren’t too many cheaper than:

E.Honda’s Sumo headbutt/Sumo butt drop to gain distance, then just hold down the hard punch button on a turbo controller and continue to move forward/catch them in the corner in SSF II Turbo

or

Blanka’s hard kick vertical roll to crouching back medium kicks to vertical roll repeat until victory (of course some head bites, electricity attacks, and horizontal rolls could also be thrown in to keep the opponent guessing) also in SSF II Turbo. This tactic was so effective/cheap that the makers of the game chose to change the dynamics of Blanka’s vertical roll to prevent people from doing this in later versions. [/quote]

I played Street Fighter where throws did a good amount of damage, when you couldn’t play the bosses. Guess that’s Street Fighter 2, way back in 1990 or so.

So, Dhalsim gets opposing player on one side of the screen, Dhalsim uses fireball, the opposite character blocks fireball then Dhalsim throws you. Repeat until you win.

Or Zanghiefs spinning pile driver over and over again.

[quote]fnf wrote:

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

[quote]fnf wrote:
Well, when I used to play Street Fighter back in the day, I was described as a cheap fighter when I used to play Dhalsim. All I would do is fireball, wait for the guy to jump over and then use kick button to eventually win.
Wait, you’re talking about a fight in the street. Then just roll deep, know the Samoan bouncers by the club nearby and you’re good to go if shit goes down.[/quote]

If we’re talking cheap Street Fighter tactics, then there weren’t too many cheaper than:

E.Honda’s Sumo headbutt/Sumo butt drop to gain distance, then just hold down the hard punch button on a turbo controller and continue to move forward/catch them in the corner in SSF II Turbo

or

Blanka’s hard kick vertical roll to crouching back medium kicks to vertical roll repeat until victory (of course some head bites, electricity attacks, and horizontal rolls could also be thrown in to keep the opponent guessing) also in SSF II Turbo. This tactic was so effective/cheap that the makers of the game chose to change the dynamics of Blanka’s vertical roll to prevent people from doing this in later versions. [/quote]

I played Street Fighter where throws did a good amount of damage, when you couldn’t play the bosses. Guess that’s Street Fighter 2, way back in 1990 or so.

So, Dhalsim gets opposing player on one side of the screen, Dhalsim uses fireball, the opposite character blocks fireball then Dhalsim throws you. Repeat until you win.

Or Zanghiefs spinning pile driver over and over again.[/quote]

Dhalsim could be very cheap, but he was so slow that your timing had to be impeccable and you had to be playing someone who was relatively unskilled/defensive to win with him.

Zanghief’s spinning pile driver did the most damage of any move in the game, but it was such a close range technique that it was tough to be in close enough to use it. Plus, pulling off a 360 degree rotation on a control pad was pretty unreliable IME.

In the original SF II the cheapest characters were Ryu and Ken IMO. Just continually spamming fireballs and then countering jumping in with dragon punch, or jumping in with hard kick and then crouching hard kick to sweep the opponent off their feet was a pretty sure fire/cheap strategy.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

[quote]fnf wrote:

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

[quote]fnf wrote:

or

Dhalsim could be very cheap, but he was so slow that your timing had to be impeccable and you had to be playing someone who was relatively unskilled/defensive to win with him.

Zanghief’s spinning pile driver did the most damage of any move in the game, but it was such a close range technique that it was tough to be in close enough to use it. Plus, pulling off a 360 degree rotation on a control pad was pretty unreliable IME.

In the original SF II the cheapest characters were Ryu and Ken IMO. Just continually spamming fireballs and then countering jumping in with dragon punch, or jumping in with hard kick and then crouching hard kick to sweep the opponent off their feet was a pretty sure fire/cheap strategy.[/quote]

I worked at Farrell’s Ice Cream restaurant that had Street Fighter and all I would play is Dhalsim and a little bit of Guile. Chung Li and Guile gave me the hardest time though.
There was a guy that used to work at this place in Golfland in Milpitas that would play Zanghief, and he could do that spinning pile driver over and over again.
I noticed the best player was Guile though.

[quote]duffyj2 wrote:

Obviously these rules are relaxed in the case of an unprecedented encounter with a gent of unsavoury disposition. However, lowering oneself to the status of a cudgel-bearer is undesirable and, in this forum, strictly not permitted. To keep ones gentlemanliness intact, while also demonstrating enough brutality to deter the fiend, The League of Gentlemen of Combat impose the following rules (updated as of Oct 2010)

[/quote]

Quite right sir.

The shillelagh is no longer considered suitable for use by gentleman in defense of honor. It may be acceptable for the peasentry, and even some rustics who insist on backward eccentricities, but is no longer standard.

Pursuant to maintaining good standing with The LGC I ask for an opinion on retrofitting my horseless carriage with the following device. Intended purely as a means of compelling ruffians and undesirables to take their leave.

Regards,

Robert A

Robert, The League of Gentlemen of Combat approve the installation of your device on three conditions:

1. The Monkey must be attired correctly. Black cottons, braces and knee high stockings are mandatory. A pipe is optional but would be well regarded.

2. The Monkey must abide by all the rules of a Gentleman of Combat. In the case where speach is necessary, a small musical box may be utilised.

3. The Monkey must remain at all times hidden from the gaze of ladies and men of a ladylike disposition.

Westdale Warrior, you implement rules with a blind adherence to aristocratic mores and tradition as well as a patent disregard for the personal freedoms of the common man. You make a fine addition to the League. I can assure you of my vote, although as you know it is customary to have three days of blather before any new rules may be passed.

[quote]Robert A wrote:

[quote]duffyj2 wrote:

Obviously these rules are relaxed in the case of an unprecedented encounter with a gent of unsavoury disposition. However, lowering oneself to the status of a cudgel-bearer is undesirable and, in this forum, strictly not permitted. To keep ones gentlemanliness intact, while also demonstrating enough brutality to deter the fiend, The League of Gentlemen of Combat impose the following rules (updated as of Oct 2010)

[/quote]

Quite right sir.

The shillelagh is no longer considered suitable for use by gentleman in defense of honor. It may be acceptable for the peasentry, and even some rustics who insist on backward eccentricities, but is no longer standard.

Pursuant to maintaining good standing with The LGC I ask for an opinion on retrofitting my horseless carriage with the following device. Intended purely as a means of compelling ruffians and undesirables to take their leave.

Regards,

Robert A

[/quote]

LOL. Love those trunk monkey commercials.

[quote]fnf wrote:

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

[quote]fnf wrote:

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

[quote]fnf wrote:

or

In the original SF II the cheapest characters were Ryu and Ken IMO. Just continually spamming fireballs and then countering jumping in with dragon punch, or jumping in with hard kick and then crouching hard kick to sweep the opponent off their feet was a pretty sure fire/cheap strategy.[/quote]

I worked at Farrell’s Ice Cream restaurant that had Street Fighter and all I would play is Dhalsim and a little bit of Guile. Chung Li and Guile gave me the hardest time though.
There was a guy that used to work at this place in Golfland in Milpitas that would play Zanghief, and he could do that spinning pile driver over and over again.
I noticed the best player was Guile though. [/quote]

Doing a 360 rotation on a joystick was much more reliable/easier than doing it on a directional pad (i.e the Super NES version/controller).

Guile could be very good as well. In the original SF II he was probably the most well rounded character (projectile, anti air, air throw, good range, powerful), but the charge characteristics of his moves made him a defensive oriented character. In contrast, characters like Ken and Ryu could be both offensive and defensive since their moves didn’t require a charge.

All the characters in the game had pros and cons, but IME people could be the most “cheap” with Ken, Ryu, and Guile of the original characters.

I was specifically talking about SF II Turbo though, where they gave Honda’s “Hundred Hand Slap” the ability to move both forward and backwards (it was a stationary move in the original version), as well as giving his light punch “Sumo headbutt” invincibility for the first few frames.

They also gave Blanka a vertical/anti-air roll which could also hit on the way down. This was probably one of the cheapest (if not THE cheapest) moves in any SF game, which is evidenced by the fact that it was only found in this version of the game. It made Blanka an absolute royal pain in the ass to fight if you were up against someone who knew how to use it effectively.

Actually, upon further reflection, I forgot that Turbo was the first game where you could play as the bosses. Bison’s flaming torpedo repeated back and forth across the screen (since it would pass through opponents even when blocked) combined with throws and a few crouching Hard kick sweeps/slides was also incredibly cheap and effective.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
Actually, upon further reflection, I forgot that Turbo was the first game where you could play as the bosses. Bison’s flaming torpedo repeated back and forth across the screen (since it would pass through opponents even when blocked) combined with throws and a few crouching Hard kick sweeps/slides was also incredibly cheap and effective.[/quote]

The cheapest was the just power slide/sweep over and over. I have seen actual fights occur over it.

I would say simply spamming Raiden’s flying attack in the original Mortal Kombat is up there as well.

Confession: I actually liked the Virtua Fighter series the best out of all of them, although I can still do all of Ryu’s moves from memory.

i only played the later street fighter games in which dudly was always my boy, sophisticated and gentlemanly

[quote]Robert A wrote:

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
Actually, upon further reflection, I forgot that Turbo was the first game where you could play as the bosses. Bison’s flaming torpedo repeated back and forth across the screen (since it would pass through opponents even when blocked) combined with throws and a few crouching Hard kick sweeps/slides was also incredibly cheap and effective.[/quote]

The cheapest was the just power slide/sweep over and over. I have seen actual fights occur over it.
[/quote]

Yeah, that sweep had huge range and was really cheap.

That worked well, but just teleporting in close, throwing and then repeatedly sweep kicking someone to death was probably the cheapest way to win in MK 1. Of course, there was a glitch in the game which pretty much allowed you to repeatedly sweep until victory if you just got someone into a corner (no matter who you were playing with).

[quote]
Confession: I actually liked the Virtua Fighter series the best out of all of them, although I can still do all of Ryu’s moves from memory.[/quote]

Virtua Fighter was the most technically demanding of the earlier fighting games IMO. It was the one game which pretty much didn’t allow you to just button mash your way to victory.

[quote]westdale warrior wrote:
i only played the later street fighter games in which dudly was always my boy, sophisticated and gentlemanly [/quote]

Third Strike was a great game IMO. Even in SF 4/SSF 4 I like Dudly, though personally I think Balrog is a better boxing character.

I am so glad this thread turned out like this. Well done Combat Forum.