T Nation

Subway & Shugs Thread

I read Shugs thread on Subway and how folks are duped. It’s true and it is gaining supporters.

Did anyone else see The Biggest Loser where the contestant goes to an elementary school and brings them Subways so they will have a healthy lunch???

Talk about indoctrinating the young. Kids aren’t going to think I need the Subway salad and apple slices. Kids are going to say I want a meatball sandwich with extra cheese and a bag of chips and HUGE soda.

It’s almost a conspiracy for fatness. Folks are making money off the fattening of America.

Australia is contemplating supporting their healthcare system with a junk food tax. Maybe we need that. Someone should have to pay for all the extra healthcare cost.


Is this a Subway customer?

I don’t remember who said this, but it was one of the authors. Shit is shit, no matter how it is disguised.

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:
Australia is contemplating supporting their healthcare system with a junk food tax. Maybe we need that. Someone should have to pay for all the extra healthcare cost.[/quote]

I would love to see this implemented in Canada, but the problem I see is who is deciding what is and isn’t junk food.

How would it work for restaurants? Would we have to have a health agency secretly “audit” restaurant meals by taking samples back to a lab to determine its “junk” status?

If those problems can be adequately addressed, I’d be all for it.

ElbowStrike

how did you find my child hood pictures

[quote]hazarddude334 wrote:
how did you find my child hood pictures[/quote]

Isn’t that sad? Just think some parent probably took that pic so proud of their big little boy.

The parents should be staked across a red ant hill for what they’ve done.

[quote]ukrainian wrote:
I don’t remember who said this, but it was one of the authors. Shit is shit, no matter how it is disguised.[/quote]

It was Shugs.

And anyway, I think Subway is a good alternative and definitely a better option than a Whopper or Big Mac. If people think that eating a Subway sandwich, a bag of chips, and a diet soda makes them healthy, they’re idiots like Shugart said.

Over here at UCF, we have a ton of restaurants, all but two of which are fast food (one’s an Einstein’s Bagels and the other’s a bar, how badass is that?). When I decide to eat a meal on campus, I can eat whatever I want, but I pick Subway. Why? Because I’d rather not clog my arteries with a Whopper or Sbarro pizza pie. Is it a healthier alternative than the rest? More or less, yes. Is it entirely healthy? Not necessarily.

That said, they are capitalizing off of this whole health scare here in America. Oh, and I’m in favor of a junk food tax 110%.

[quote]Padilla7921 wrote:
That said, they are capitalizing off of this whole health scare here in America. Oh, and I’m in favor of a junk food tax 110%.[/quote]

I gotta mimick what Elbow said about this. Ideally, it would be a great way to help out the healthcare system, but I don’t want anyone else’s ideas of what’s good for me cost me more money.

[quote]Dirty_Bulk wrote:
I gotta mimick what Elbow said about this. Ideally, it would be a great way to help out the healthcare system, but I don’t want anyone else’s ideas of what’s good for me cost me more money.[/quote]

Yeah, this is very true. Especially here in America with our amazing dietary standards stating that too much protein can kill your kidneys and getting too muscular makes you fat.

It’s a good idea in theory though.

[quote]Padilla7921 wrote:

And anyway, I think Subway is a good alternative and definitely a better option than a Whopper or Big Mac. If people think that eating a Subway sandwich, a bag of chips, and a diet soda makes them healthy, they’re idiots like Shugart said.[/quote]

Oh you poor poor man. Here in NZ our McD’s chain forces healthier cuts of meat etc. to the point where nutritionally, Subway and McD’s are getting closer and closer. Especially with all the extra shit they put on their Subs.

[quote]Dirty_Bulk wrote:
Padilla7921 wrote:
That said, they are capitalizing off of this whole health scare here in America. Oh, and I’m in favor of a junk food tax 110%.

I gotta mimick what Elbow said about this. Ideally, it would be a great way to help out the healthcare system, but I don’t want anyone else’s ideas of what’s good for me cost me more money.[/quote]

A better idea is to not publicly fund medical expenses bought on by obesity. That would free up a LOT of tax dollars I’m sure. Sad as it is, people make a living off selling junk food. It’s not their fault that fat people are so dumb (well, good at rationalizing anyway).

And fuck all that discrimination shit, if you’re fat, you should pay more in medical insurance, you’re a liability.

First thing I thought when I read Shrug’s blog was “damn that’s not a bad bulking meal when your stuck for time”… I guess I missed the point! :slight_smile:

But the shame of Subway is that schools and health agencies are advocating for Subway.

We have El Pollo Loco here in San Diego. Now, sure it isn’t great, but it sure isn’t bad. Take the skin off of it and you really don’t have much to worry about. Even their beans are good.

But how did Subway get all these folks to peddle them?

Kids are learning a 12 inch sandwich is a healthy meal.

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:

Kids are learning a 12 inch sandwich is a healthy meal.[/quote]

And by the time they realize otherwise, it’s too late.

Fuck the junk food tax. Some of us need calories. Some of us don’t mind being big. Some of us don’t mind losing abs temporarily. Some of us want the quickest gains.

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:

But the shame of Subway is that schools and health agencies are advocating for Subway.

We have El Pollo Loco here in San Diego. Now, sure it isn’t great, but it sure isn’t bad. Take the skin off of it and you really don’t have much to worry about. Even their beans are good.

But how did Subway get all these folks to peddle them?

Kids are learning a 12 inch sandwich is a healthy meal.[/quote]

I dunno

If they were lifting heavy weights, and playing lots of active games/sports, it wouldn’t be a bad snack. I think the food isn’t nearly as big a problem as the lazy lifestyle. What do you think?

[quote]Makavali wrote:
A better idea is to not publicly fund medical expenses bought on by obesity.[/quote]

An even better idea is to not publicly fund medical expenses at all but that’s another thread entirely.

[quote]BackForMore wrote:
Makavali wrote:
A better idea is to not publicly fund medical expenses bought on by obesity.

An even better idea is to not publicly fund medical expenses at all but that’s another thread entirely.

[/quote]

I don’t mind my tax dollars going towards an ailment bought on by chance i.e. cancer, but the moment you use it for some shit like a gastric bypass, that’s like a kick in the nads for me.

[quote]Makavali wrote:

A better idea is to not publicly fund medical expenses bought on by obesity. That would free up a LOT of tax dollars I’m sure. Sad as it is, people make a living off selling junk food. It’s not their fault that fat people are so dumb (well, good at rationalizing anyway).

And fuck all that discrimination shit, if you’re fat, you should pay more in medical insurance, you’re a liability.[/quote]

Absolutely.

Obesity is a “controllable factor” in a person’s health, just like alcohol and tobacco use and abuse.

People should not be discriminated upon based on uncontrollable factors such as height, sex, race, nation of origin, and anything else we were “born with”.

People weren’t obese 50 years ago so obviously nobody is “born obese”.

Doctors in Canada have started a trend to refuse to authorize public funds for treating lung disease in smokers and liver disease in alcoholics. They’d have to pay, just like any tourist would. Obesity-related diseases may be next.

ElbowStrike

[quote]Fulmen wrote:
Fuck the junk food tax. Some of us need calories. Some of us don’t mind being big. Some of us don’t mind losing abs temporarily. Some of us want the quickest gains.

[/quote]

Ah Fulmen, believe me when I say I like big guys. The thing is though, this is being spun out to children.

They are becoming rotund little oompah-loompahs.

When I was a kid we didn’t have video games we ran around like crazy people, OUTSIDE all day long.

Now Subway is their meal and TV is their babysitter.