T Nation

Substitutions for DB Squats?

Hi guys, i need to substitute a couple exercises for the following:

DB front squat
and
DB squat

I am currently doing Waterbury’s 25 method for hypertrophy and these two exercises are at the start of the 2nd and 3rd workouts of the week (i.e. weds and fri), as quad/hip dominant exercises.

The reason i need to change exercises is i can no longer keep adding more weight (not got more plates) and need to keep the same rep scheme/load (4-6 reps). I was thinking of changing to unilateral exercises such as:

DB lunges
DB split squat
DB bulgarian split squat

By the way, so you know, if you didn’t realise yet, i train at home and only have dumbbells to train with. So what you guys reckon? Any suggestions/advice?

Goblet squats, sandbag work. Time to get more DBs or invest in a good BB if possible/affordable.

Unilateral work (pistols) are also good

One legged squats

Lunges

Step ups

Squat Jumps

Just some ideas.

Split Squats
Bulgarian Split Squats
Overhead Lunges/Split Squats

[quote]stibby wrote:
Hi guys, i need to substitute a couple exercises for the following:

DB front squat
and
DB squat

[/quote]

I sometimes increase the weight beyond my current set of dumbbells by putting some weights in a backpack, and performing the exercise with the backpack on and holding the dumbbells.

[quote]jaybvee wrote:
Goblet squats, sandbag work. Time to get more DBs or invest in a good BB if possible/affordable.

Unilateral work (pistols) are also good[/quote]

Wouldn’t goblet squats be DB front squats and or the exact same as DB squats given that the external weght is indeed a DB? How would he be able to progress further using the goblet style of holding the DB as opposed to another?

In other news: I would say to either switch to the unilaterals you described or invest in new weight, ideally both.

Sand bag weight, as stated, is super cheap and easy [use care tire inner-tubes for the “bag” part]. But a semi-decent Barbell set shouldn’t cost more than 65 cents per pound or even less if you buy a full set. I bought 300lbs of weight and essentially got a barbell for free.

and/or look into kettle stacks:

http://www.ironwoodyfitness.com/index.html

I get these suckas up to 150lbs each. With two thats a 300lbs KB squat. Can’t clean the shits up though, gotta take it from a box.

-chris