Substitution in Accumulation Phases for Type 1?

Hey coach,
I was wondering what your thoughts were on ways to modify a general accumulation phase on a program for a type 1. These phases are obviously important for building muscle but anytime I have to go over 8 or 10 reps on a set I’m shot for the next workout. Seeing high rep sets also destroys my motivation because I hate them so much, lol. Would a decent substitute for these be to extend TUT for a set of lower reps in a way that matches the TUT for the higher rep sets? For example, if a program had me doing 10 reps of squat, a set that might take 45 seconds, would doing 5 reps but modifying the tempo to extend that set to 45 seconds give approximately the stimulus? Or should I just bite the bullet when I have higher rep sets and power through?

Type 1A or Type 1B?

I don’t think sets exceeding 8 reps are something that CT normally prescribes for Type 1s. Maybe 10 max, but not on a main lift. Rather, you increase the intensity (weight lifted) and reduce reps as the block progresses with additional work sets to compensate (aim for the same number of reps in the session). Also, in your ACC block you’d select lifts that are lower on the intensity scale, i.e. front squat instead of a back squat.

But, @danteism did the course. I’ve just tried to reverse engineer neurotyping over time as more and more material has become available here on the forums and on CTs site.

I bought the Thib Army 1B program which has an accumulation phase. My understanding is that all Neurotypes can have accumulation phases but the parameters of each are shaped by your Neurotype. So a type 1B accumulation phase is still fairly high intensity and fairly low volume (since we respond best to neural and performance driven work) BUT relatively speaking, it’s lower in intensity and higher in volume (for us) than during an intensification phase.

I assume the same principle holds true for programming for all Neurotypes. Like I assume the intensification phase of a 2B would be a lot lower in intensity and a lot higher in volume (compared to a type 1) since they respond best to muscular work.

So I don’t think you would “substitute” an accumulation phase but rather do an accumulation phase that’s still in keeping with the general set and rep parameters recommended for type 1s.

Finally, my certification is needed.

For an 1A an accumulation phase would consist of 10-12 sets (total for session) of fairly low reps. As you go from week to week increase the intensity and at the same time your total volume will drop slightly.

So if you did, say two “big” exercises for 3x7 and two “smaller” exercises for 3x8-10 on week 1, you’d do 3x6 on the big ones and 3x6-8 on smaller ones on week 2, and finally maybe a wave of 6/4/2 on big exercises and 3x4-6 on smaller ones on week 3. On week 4 you’ll deload by switching your bigger movements for harder variations. On these movements the rep scheme won’t change. Also drop one set from both of your smaller exercises.