Substitute For Squats?

Have you tried any thearpy such A.R.T. or Muscle Activation Technique? You could also have a competent personal trainer video tape your squat and provide feedback of your technique.

I haven’t seen anyone metion this yet, but maybe with the squats you should try to widen your stance somewhat.
I also had pain in my hip after squatting/deadlifting. After I analyzed my technique I realized that my base of support was not wide enough. After widening my base somewhat not only did my pain go away, I noticed that I could handle heavier weight more easily than I could before.

Can’t you subsitute 45 degree leg presses for squats? For joint pain I have found cissus rx better than any other supp on the market and I have trie them all.

this is going to get me flammed by many of the purist here, but i have always thought that there will be a day when i will have to hang up squats and deadlifts. i have flirted with so many disasterous injuries, and i still tend to push myself to limit weights on these two moves despite age and growing number of injuries and chronic problems.

about 3 years ago, i ruptured three lumbar discs, and thought i was done for good, and for about 3 months all i did for my low body was sled dragging.

i did heavy front and backwards dragging for short trips, longer trips with moderate weight, and even very short sprints with very light weight. guess what? not only did i not lose any leg size, i think i gained some!

there are a lot of pro football running backs and linemen who push and drag heavy sleds, do hill sprints, ect for their only lowbody training.

at some point i am sure that i will have to shelve squats and deadlifts, like i have barbell bench pressing and goodmornings, when i do, i will drag the hell out of my sled and invest in a prowler to push around, and i bet my legs will be as good or even better than ever.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
I like rack pulls. Put about 150% of what you normally DL and enjoy.

I can’t squat because of an old ankle injury and my left hip gives me fits. The rack pulls don’t seem to aggravate these.[/quote]

Head hunter how do you do rack pulls
Thx Pittbulll

Hey, I’m 37 and I have hemaroids!

I can’t squat anymore. I’ve re aggrevated an old disc rupture. I had surgery for it 12 years ago.

I go upstairs and hide and do my extensions…oh the shame!

I’m very interested in this thread … have been lifting for 10 years now, and just passed the 50-year mark myself. I had an L5 vertebrae sports injury a few years back that has made me real touchy about doing squats–about the closest I get is machine hack squats, which offer some protection.

BUT–I keep getting all this advice to get back into squats since they are so effective.

Any advice?

Schedule the MRI now then. I go in for mine today in 1 hour.

I advise against it if you have had issues there before. Especially when your own body tells you it hurts, that’s a good sign to stop. DONT BE LIKE ME. I’m going to have to fuse my vertibre or just go for the standard back surgery again…

I hope to post pics of the MRI when I get them.

[quote]Fat Tony wrote:
Hey, I’m 37 and I have hemaroids![/quote]

Is that some sort of new anabolic? Never heard of it.

Well, I had my MRI and stepped into the room the technician has his computer in and saw the results. My l5 has lost some more fluid, but there is good spacing still. The disc is re-ruptured putting pressure on my sciatic nerve.
I’m going under the knife again. I’ll post pics later when I have the images.

If it hurts your back…don’t squat.

Hey Rockscar, thanks for the info.

Here’s hoping you are feeling better real soon!

So many find excuses not to squat, a ruptured disk is a legitimate one, you don’t want to mess with that, but so many prefer the leg press and other less painful exercises. I hate squatting but when the bar is on my back and the adrenaline is pumping I suddenly fall in love with it.

All -

Remember that movement nourishes tissue. Unless you are at the end stages of arthritis, the more movement you get, the better you will feel!

Others have suggested joint compounds such as EPA/DHA, glucosamine and chondroitin, etc., and all will definitely help. A diet the strives to decrease inflammation will help, too.

As well, all the movements on Eric and I’s “Magnificent Mobility” DVD (located in the Biotest store) will help improve flexibility around the hips, putting the stress on the muscles versus the joint.

Let me know if I can be of any further help!

Stay strong
MR

[quote]terribleivan wrote:
I’ve got a neck injury that makes it difficult to put the bar on my back, but I’ve been lucky enough to find a hack squat machine that can be modified for front squats and it works beautifully.

If you have nothing else, work some lunges with dumbbells, and they would still help. Superset them with wall-squats, and you’ll really feel it too.

Remember - “No pain, no gain” is a myth![/quote]

What type of neck injury do you have?

[quote]Rockscar wrote:
Well, I had my MRI and stepped into the room the technician has his computer in and saw the results. My l5 has lost some more fluid, but there is good spacing still. The disc is re-ruptured putting pressure on my sciatic nerve.
I’m going under the knife again. I’ll post pics later when I have the images.

If it hurts your back…don’t squat.[/quote]

Hey Rockscar…hope it goes well.
Get better.

[quote]grey wrote:
Rockscar wrote:

If it hurts your back…don’t squat.
[/quote]

Agreed. The same goes really for any exercise. Make sure your mind knows the difference between “good pain” and “bad pain”. Usually by the time you’re a 35+ year old lifter, you know the difference.

Thanks guys. I’m able to do the seated hack squat machine and it seems to give my legs the same motion and soreness afterward. The weight distributes over a larger area flatter on the back while keeping good pressure and support there too.

It just looks lame.

Right now my options are:

-Chiroprator (usually hurt more afterwards)

-PT- (I do the appropriate stretches each day)

-Acupuncture (Never did it)

-Surgery again (I’ll probably do this, otherwise I need narcotics to keep me moving with the pain)

[quote]Rockscar wrote:
Thanks guys. I’m able to do the seated hack squat machine and it seems to give my legs the same motion and soreness afterward. The weight distributes over a larger area flatter on the back while keeping good pressure and support there too.

It just looks lame.

-Surgery again (I’ll probably do this, otherwise I need narcotics to keep me moving with the pain)[/quote]

I’d consider anything other than surgery as options. When I’ve had back problems, I’ve used massage, PT, Pilates and accupuncture. When one didn’t work, one of the others invariably did.

Stay away from the knife as long as possible.

[quote]Sting wrote:
Rockscar wrote:

It just looks lame.

-Surgery again (I’ll probably do this, otherwise I need narcotics to keep me moving with the pain)

I’d consider anything other than surgery as options. When I’ve had back problems, I’ve used massage, PT, Pilates and accupuncture. When one didn’t work, one of the others invariably did.

Stay away from the knife as long as possible.[/quote]

Update:

After reviewing the MRI with my DR. Turns out the nuecleus from the disc ruptured through and has migrated south in my body and is now between L5 and S1 right on the sciatic nerve.

I’ve had surgery here before, so I’m not afraid of it, but I need to make sure this does not happen again.