Substitute for Reverse Hypers

[quote]TX iron wrote:
@Th3pwnisher: Well, that looks to be where all the advice is leading. Initially, I did just want something to isolate my lower back. I thought that it was the weak link, and it still could be, however other posters as well as yourself have brought about the idea that an aching back is a symptom of a deeper issue…one that needs to be examined and addressed before further attempting to bring up my lower back individually.
[/quote]

I was actually addressing my comment to Mark. Was on my phone, and didn’t use the quote function.

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:

[quote]TX iron wrote:
@Th3pwnisher: Well, that looks to be where all the advice is leading. Initially, I did just want something to isolate my lower back. I thought that it was the weak link, and it still could be, however other posters as well as yourself have brought about the idea that an aching back is a symptom of a deeper issue…one that needs to be examined and addressed before further attempting to bring up my lower back individually.
[/quote]

I was actually addressing my comment to Mark. Was on my phone, and didn’t use the quote function.
[/quote]

Ah, gotcha

[quote]staystrong wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:
are you sure you need to strengthen your lower back? It’s usually the case people think they do but they’d actually be better served strengthening their glutes[/quote]

Hey yogi,

What do you suggest for strengthening glutes? I’ve seen you post that advice multiple times but I don’t think I’ve ever seen specific exercise suggestions. Got a few you can offer? Lunges are the main one I currently do. [/quote]

it’s a case of getting them firing properly first, then doing things like squats/deads. If your glutes are sleeping and you load up the lower body lifts then your lower back is doing all the work.

So tradtional exercises like squats and deads’ll strengthen them, but first you need to activate them. Something like:

-Side Lying Clams, static hold against a band: wrap a band around your knees but instead of doing reps just hold it apart for a minute. Static holds are better for activation exercises than reps, apparently (thanks for that, Waterbury).
-Bird Dogs, 3 x 15
-Bodyweight Hip Thrust, again done as a static hold (add weight if it gets easy but if you are really squeezing your glutes a minute of this should burn like hellfire)

That would get your glutes firing and prepare you for the heavier lifts.

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]staystrong wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:
are you sure you need to strengthen your lower back? It’s usually the case people think they do but they’d actually be better served strengthening their glutes[/quote]

Hey yogi,

What do you suggest for strengthening glutes? I’ve seen you post that advice multiple times but I don’t think I’ve ever seen specific exercise suggestions. Got a few you can offer? Lunges are the main one I currently do. [/quote]

it’s a case of getting them firing properly first, then doing things like squats/deads. If your glutes are sleeping and you load up the lower body lifts then your lower back is doing all the work.

So tradtional exercises like squats and deads’ll strengthen them, but first you need to activate them. Something like:

-Side Lying Clams, static hold against a band: wrap a band around your knees but instead of doing reps just hold it apart for a minute. Static holds are better for activation exercises than reps, apparently (thanks for that, Waterbury).
-Bird Dogs, 3 x 15
-Bodyweight Hip Thrust, again done as a static hold (add weight if it gets easy but if you are really squeezing your glutes a minute of this should burn like hellfire)

That would get your glutes firing and prepare you for the heavier lifts.[/quote]

Good info. I know it was directed elsewhere but thanks.

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]staystrong wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

Hey yogi,

-Bird Dogs, 3 x 15

That would get your glutes firing and prepare you for the heavier lifts.[/quote]

Thanks Yogi! I’ll give them a whirl. Looks like it wouldn’t take even 5 minutes as a warmup before lower body day.

[quote]staystrong wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]staystrong wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

Hey yogi,

-Bird Dogs, 3 x 15

Thanks Yogi! I’ll give them a whirl. Looks like it wouldn’t take even 5 minutes as a warmup before lower body day.[/quote]

it doesn’t, but what a difference it makes. Test your hamstring flexibility before and after you do it and prepare to be amazed!

This exercise moves the low back and glutes through a similar range of motion as RHs, albeit in a much more controlled manner. You can give them a try if you want. Some gymnasts do these for 5x5 with ankle weights.

@ Nighthawkz: Damn. Thanks for the find. I’ll give those a shot, preferably at the house around shit I can’t break.

[quote]TX iron wrote:
I need to toughen up my lower back. When in the gym, I hit back extensions and cable kickbacks. In the garage, it’s deadlift variations. At the office, back bridges. I also typically do some sort of oly lift variation every training day.

What I REALLY want to do is reverse hypers, though unfortunately I don’t have access to that machine or a GHR. Since I’ve never actually done one, I’m not quite sure how they feel and thus don’t know how to recreate them.

Any experience with this would be appreciated.[/quote]
Nothing can really substitute perfectly for what a reverse hyper is supposed to do, but you can still do 45 degree hyper extensions and horizontal back extensions for strengthening your back without putting more stress on your spine.