T Nation

Subsitute for Seated DB Power Clean?

I hear good things about seated db power cleans, but I do not have dumbbells (I train with equipment I own at home) would it be have the same effect to use plates or add weight to two objects such as back packs for example? Or another accessory exercise for the posterior delt/upper back? My equipment is limited down to a bar, adjustable bench, as much weight plates as I would need for a decent period of time, and a power rack.

[quote]DSSG wrote:
I hear good things about seated db power cleans, but I do not have dumbbells (I train with equipment I own at home) would it be have the same effect to use plates or add weight to two objects such as back packs for example?[/quote]
You should be able to start with just a 5, maybe a 10, pound plate in each hand. I wouldn’t use something like a backpack since it would add an unnecessary stability element to the exercise.

It’s not really an exercise well-suited to heavy/lower rep lifting, so by keeping it lightish, strict, and higher rep you should do fine with just plates.

EDIT: [quote]Or another accessory exercise for the posterior delt/upper back?[/quote]
Ha, damn your edits. If you’re looking for something for shoulder health, I really like LYTPs from Nick Tumminello. 5 pounds would be plenty on those, since they stay in the 10 and up rep range.

Cuban presses are another option. The barbell might be on the heavy end unless you can knock out an easy 10 reps or so without reaching failure. Otherwise, again, plates should do fine.

Thanks, I will try the seated power cleans with plates in a couple of weeks.

You didn’t list a band in your equipment but it would be a cheap addition that could give you access to a good list of other shoulder health exercises like band pull-aparts and band face pulls.