Subscapularis Activation?

Does anyone know a good activation exercise for the subscapularis? The only thing I saw was from the shoulder saver part 2 article on here. The exercise was prone internal raise laying face down on a training table but I don’t have one of those so I’m at a loss how to do this exercise.

Long story short, I’m attempting to fix a shoulder that doesn’t move right thanks to a full arm cast I wore for about 3 months that locked my shoulder into a rounded, passively internally rotated position. I get pain in my armpit/on my scapula from overhead work and I’m already doing work for my Serratus and low traps.

Ideas or suggestions for the Subscapularis?

you answered your own question, mate. Has to be the prone internal rotations. Don’t you have access to a weights bench? I do them on all fours next to a bench, with my rotating arm supported on the bench

[quote]Yogi wrote:
you answered your own question, mate. Has to be the prone internal rotations. Don’t you have access to a weights bench? I do them on all fours next to a bench, with my rotating arm supported on the bench[/quote]

My issue is I don’t think a weight bench is tall enough for my arm to be in line with my body. So instead of my upper arm basically being parallel with my body and the floor it’s going to be hanging in front of my body. Does it actually matter? I could try setting the bench on an incline and seeing if I can balance my upper arm on the very top I guess.

Also, when doing the prone internal rotations is the scapula supposed to be retracted and depressed? Cresseys article didn’t really specify I thought.

Flex bands from Elitefts. Attach a extra mini or a mini band to the rack, behind and above your shoulder. Internally rotate from a huge variety of angles and positions.

I’ve also seen guys do this on the cable setup.

Not exactly what you’re looking for, but the bottoms up kettlebell press has really helped me with my shoulder stability/position issues.

[quote]FlatsFarmer wrote:
Flex bands from Elitefts. Attach a extra mini or a mini band to the rack, behind and above your shoulder. Internally rotate from a huge variety of angles and positions.

I’ve also seen guys do this on the cable setup.

Not exactly what you’re looking for, but the bottoms up kettlebell press has really helped me with my shoulder stability/position issues. [/quote]

For those first 2 things I thought about, but I’m not sure if the lats/pecs might take over. From everything ive read it seems like they have a tendency to do that. Maybe it’ll work tho, I’m not even sure it’s the Subscapularis that’s the issue but something clearly isn’t working right and causing my shoulder discomfort when my arms go overhead and it’s right where that muscle sits.

[quote]staystrong wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:
you answered your own question, mate. Has to be the prone internal rotations. Don’t you have access to a weights bench? I do them on all fours next to a bench, with my rotating arm supported on the bench[/quote]

My issue is I don’t think a weight bench is tall enough for my arm to be in line with my body. So instead of my upper arm basically being parallel with my body and the floor it’s going to be hanging in front of my body. Does it actually matter? I could try setting the bench on an incline and seeing if I can balance my upper arm on the very top I guess.

Also, when doing the prone internal rotations is the scapula supposed to be retracted and depressed? Cresseys article didn’t really specify I thought. [/quote]

when you’re on all fours next to the bench to balance your arm on it, can you not just widen your base to lower your body until you arm is in line with your torso? Could you elevate the bench?

Just concentrate on not shrugging your traps when you do it and you’ll be fine. When you get it right you’ll feel it up in your armpit.