Subaru Mechanics

i’ve got a 2002 impreza just over 200,000 and coming up on a second timing belt job. this is a great utility car for me and i figure i’d like to keep it for 300,000.

anyway, friends tell me i should have the water pump and all the belts done @ the same time. this makes sense to me but the garage i prefer to go to doesn’t want to do the pump because they’ve “never seen one go”. i did ask them how many '02 subies have they seen hit 300,000 and they admitted they’d never seen that one either.

i checked a second garage and they tell me i should do the belt, pump, and clutch? all @ once. i do get a little clutch slip but only when i jump on it and under load, like uphill passing. no slip under normal driving conditions or passing on flat. is doing a t-belt gonna safe labor on clutch time or are they just fishing here ?

at the end of the day i’ll probably go with the garage i do most business with because it seems like we’re building a good relationship and that’s a good thing.

anyway what do you think ?

Damn man you driving back and forth from the west to east coast as your morning drive??

Haha dang man you put miles on that car!! Anyway LowFat Matt will know the answer is my bet.

I don’t know why they’d advise to replace the clutch along with the belts and water pump, since those components are on opposite sides of the engine (belts/w/p up front, clutch in the back). It sounds like they’re trying to get some more money out of you.

I’d probably go with the water pump replacement along with the belts, since they’re in there already and won’t cost much extra labor-wise. It may be ok now, but the last thing you want is to pay to take all that back apart for a leaky water pump. And on top of that, if it leaks there’s a chance you’d have to buy another timing belt as it may get ruined from coolant leaking all over it.

Obviously, go with what you can afford, but keep all this in mind when you make your decision.

[quote]Doug Adams wrote:
I don’t know why they’d advise to replace the clutch along with the belts and water pump, since those components are on opposite sides of the engine (belts/w/p up front, clutch in the back). It sounds like they’re trying to get some more money out of you.

I’d probably go with the water pump replacement along with the belts, since they’re in there already and won’t cost much extra labor-wise. It may be ok now, but the last thing you want is to pay to take all that back apart for a leaky water pump. And on top of that, if it leaks there’s a chance you’d have to buy another timing belt as it may get ruined from coolant leaking all over it.

Obviously, go with what you can afford, but keep all this in mind when you make your decision.[/quote]

thanks for the good info. i suspected the clutch was not really involved but not being a mechanic you never know. i will ask them to do the pump with the belts. i’d rather pay now than later.

It sounds like your clutch is on the way out if it is slipping at all, up hill or not. There’s probably no rush replacing it unless the labor cost is less now.

[quote]ZedLeppelin wrote:
It sounds like your clutch is on the way out if it is slipping at all, up hill or not. There’s probably no rush replacing it unless the labor cost is less now.[/quote]

yeah i figure it that way too. there’s 200k on it so it’s no surprise.

i had a guy tell me today that he’s seen impreza’s that have lost a retaining clip from the inner rear axle shaft that can allow the axle to slip just a bit from the differential unser load. he said it behaves just like a clutch slipping under load but otherwise drives normal. make sense to anyone ? i figure it’s worth a look anyway.

[quote]CrewPierce wrote:
Damn man you driving back and forth from the west to east coast as your morning drive??

Haha dang man you put miles on that car!! Anyway LowFat Matt will know the answer is my bet.[/quote]

yeah i drive 700-1000 miles a week. this car has been awesome for it.

[quote]stymie wrote:

i had a guy tell me today that he’s seen impreza’s that have lost a retaining clip from the inner rear axle shaft that can allow the axle to slip just a bit from the differential unser load. he said it behaves just like a clutch slipping under load but otherwise drives normal. make sense to anyone ?[/quote]

Hmmm, if the axle slips you’d more than likely hear some kind of noise during the slip (clunking or wailing). He was very specific though so it may be legit.