Sub-q Injection

Subcutaneous injections, two questions:

1. When the needle is inserted, should one aspirate the needle to check for vein, or is that unnecessary with fat based injections?

2. I’ve read that there should be a slight air bubble (very small) in the needle before injection… anyone heard of this? For subcutaneous?

[quote]TheBigV wrote:
Subcutaneous injections, two questions:

1. When the needle is inserted, should one aspirate the needle to check for vein, or is that unnecessary with fat based injections?

2. I’ve read that there should be a slight air bubble (very small) in the needle before injection… anyone heard of this? For subcutaneous?[/quote]

I’ve only ever injected livestock but I’ve never seen either of those practices done on the farm.

Hah, I don’t know if I would trust injection practices on the farm to carry over to the way I would perform them upon myself!

OP, sure, go ahead and aspirate. If you have your subq injection right, there is almost no chance you are going to inject into a vein, but takes all of half a second to aspirate, so why not. Easy rule: aspirate every injection. That means subq, IM, IV. I’m going to aspirate when I want to see blood just as much as I’m going to aspirate when I don’t.

As far as the air bubble goes, I’ve never heard of this, and don’t see any reason for it. After hundreds of subq injections myself, I’ve never done this and never had a problem. That said, if there is an air bubble, it’s not an issue, either.

Though I’m not much more than a farm animal myself, I think a little caution is necessary… thanks or the info guys.

One more question that I just came about on. Some guy injected GHRP-6 into his abdominal MUSCLE. Why did he do this? Is he an idiot? He claimed it hurt like hell and that “pro bbers are brave”. Made me laugh, but seriously, what could be the consequences of doing that?

No expert am I, but it is my understanding that it would take quite a lot of air injected into a vein for it to be dangerous. Some people like to have a little air bubble in the syringe to make sure they get every last little bit into them, rather than sitting in the needle and syringe tip. The idea is the air bubble goes through last and pushes the last bit of fluid out. That said, I doubt it would make a significant difference unless you were injecting a small amount of something that was relatively highly concentrated.

if the needle is in your body than any air or bubbles is just a vacuum and nothing else. Don’t worry about that.

I myself have never aspirated when doing a sub q shot, but I guess it couldn’t hurt.

Your friend who shot himself straight into his abdominal muscle is an idiot lol.

[quote]BL4DE wrote:
No expert am I, but it is my understanding that it would take quite a lot of air injected into a vein for it to be dangerous. Some people like to have a little air bubble in the syringe to make sure they get every last little bit into them, rather than sitting in the needle and syringe tip. The idea is the air bubble goes through last and pushes the last bit of fluid out. That said, I doubt it would make a significant difference unless you were injecting a small amount of something that was relatively highly concentrated.[/quote]

OR you inject a lot over time and it adds up.

Considering that it is about 0.1ml - then that is a 10ml vial per 10 vials.