Style of Routine for Best Recovery?

By my thinking, I’d guess a split routine would allow you the time to recover better, with the week of rest in between hitting each body part. Or maybe I’m completely wrong here?

Depends on so many variables.

Maelstrom you might want to make one thread in the beginner-section and ask all your questions in there instead of starting 20 threads in the bb forum…
You’ll probably get more help there, too.

[quote]Maelstrom wrote:
By my thinking, I’d guess a split routine would allow you the time to recover better, with the week of rest in between hitting each body part. Or maybe I’m completely wrong here?[/quote]

Overtraining is not a muscular phenomenon (from what I’ve read and I’ve read A LOT; I could be wrong since I am not a physiologist). It is a neurological and psychological issue.

So by training a muscle group once per week, you can still overtrain, depending on what you are doing over time to your ENTIRE body.

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
Maelstrom wrote:
By my thinking, I’d guess a split routine would allow you the time to recover better, with the week of rest in between hitting each body part. Or maybe I’m completely wrong here?

Overtraining is not a muscular phenomenon (from what I’ve read and I’ve read A LOT; I could be wrong since I am not a physiologist). It is a neurological and psychological issue.

So by training a muscle group once per week, you can still overtrain, depending on what you are doing over time to your ENTIRE body. [/quote]

Exactly right. The muscle tissue recovers fairly quickly, but the neurological system that allows you to use your muscles does not. So when the neurological system is over trained it will not allow you to use your muscle tissue to the same level you did before overtraining. The result is that you make no progress and even loose strength.

Protecting your CNS is one reason while Non Linear Periodization splits have shown so much success. You can still train hard every week but by rotating between power and volumne you can tap different energy systems and allow for more efficient recovery.

[quote]Maelstrom wrote:
By my thinking, I’d guess a split routine would allow you the time to recover better[/quote]

Depends on what you mean by better. If you mean that each individual muscle group will be more fresh, then yes. If better recovery is more frequent recovery and never having a muscle group completely destroyed, then total body is at the other end of the spectrum.

Either way, as far as a “style of routine” for recovery, the body will adapt, and eventually recover from what ever you put it through.