T Nation

Stupidest Things You've Been Asked...

Stupidest things you’ve been asked about your country…

From when I was in the US. The second one came from a UIC graduate.

‘Do you have black people in England?’

‘Do you celebrate July 4th?’

‘How long has England spoken American?’

I’m sure more will come to me but I thought that might get the ball rolling.

That second one was actually to my sister who replied;

‘and what is July 4th celebrating?’

‘Independance day’

‘and Independance from whom?’

‘Well independance from the Engli… Oh… I see’

Genius.

Anyone else got some classics they’ve been asked about where they come from?

Happy July 4th to the yanks by the way. To be honest we were glad to see the back of ya, although if we weren’t fighting Napoleon at the same time at worst it would have been a tie! lol

Coming from a rather obscure country like Croatia, I’ve gotten loads and loads of such questions.

From Americans came the following, for example:

Q:“Croatia, isn’t that a small country near France with all the watches, cheese and stuff?”
A:“You were thinking about Switzerland. We’re next to Bosnia”

Q:“Do you have those lousy Mexicans in your country too?”
A:“Apart from two members of an awful yet strangely ambitious mariachi-wannabe band, no.”

Q:“How come you’re not black, coming from Africa and all?”

Q:“Do you usually wear those towel thingies on your head in your country?”

Q:“Do you have Home Depot stores there?” (strangely, the question came from the same person as the previous one)

Q:“Do you have running water there?”

Q:“Did you usually milk the goats before school?”

Q:“I’d like to like, visit your country, Europe and and all that stuff, but I’m worried about being kidnapped by those horsemen tribes”
A:What? The Mongols?

On a side note, once during my stay in Dublin endured a five minute demonstration in which a very cute and well-intended girl from Oregon showed me the proper use of a shower.

She was very bangable, so I just nodded.

Im from England and used to get asked - "is it very hot where you come from? "

Im not even black.

Stupid people are everywhere.

[quote]loppar wrote:

On a side note, once during my stay in Dublin endured a five minute demonstration in which a very cute and well-intended girl from Oregon showed me the proper use of a shower.

She was very bangable, so I just nodded. [/quote]

You should have shown her the proper use for a pussy!

I visit my in laws in Greece and they live in a real old village and get no tourists around at all, I conatantly get asked strange questions from the weird village types.

when I told them I had just got my qualification as a football referee, someone wanted to know if I had David Beckhams phone number???

There more along the same lines, some young girls asking me how the queen is and that sort of thing, they really believe that in the UK you go out partying with Tom cruise and have the queen over for BBQ’s

fucking village idiots!

[quote]supermick wrote:
Im from England and used to get asked - "is it very hot where you come from? "

Im not even black.

Stupid people are everywhere.[/quote]

what like people that reply to thread by starting a new one?

Only Joking mick :slight_smile:

[quote]loppar wrote:

Coming from a rather obscure country like Croatia, I’ve gotten loads and loads of such questions.

Q:“Croatia, isn’t that a small country near France with all the watches, cheese and stuff?”

A:“Apart from two members of an awful yet strangely ambitious mariachi-wannabe band, no.”

Q:“Do you have Home Depot stores there?” (strangely, the question came from the same person as the previous one)

Q:“I’d like to like, visit your country, Europe and and all that stuff, but I’m worried about being kidnapped by those horsemen tribes”

Ha ha Brilliant. Yours were classic. Mongols? lol

[quote]loppar wrote:

hahahaha! Love this whole post

Wait, there’s marauding bands of Mongols in Croatia?

I have a question for the Brits…Do any of you know that cool ass Geico Lizard? He’s one funny limey.

true story,my old flatemate was a ski instructor in boulder.he told some americans that they close the sydney harbour bridge every friday afternoon so the animals on the south could visit the animals on the north.wow,that must be some spectacle they exclaimed.yeh,we ride emus and kangaroos to school when we were kids as well!!we still laugh about the disapointed yanks visiting sydney for the great friday arvo show!!

Japanese guy: what do you eat in Canada?

Me: uhhh… pretty much anything you want… we have everything available, pretty much

JG: Really? everything in one meal? (to his friend in japanese) hey, did you know they eat a little bit of everything in one meal? crazy huh?

Me: No, um… more like everything is available… we eat only a few things in one meal… uhhh…

JG: you speak japanese!?!?!?!

I loved that crazy guy.

I once convinced some japanese girls that putting your index and middle finger on either side of your mouth and sticking your tongue out was the cool thing to do in pictures in canada. Im awful.

I also convinced them that we have tame bears as pets. I loved those girls.

In florida…

Q: where you from?
A: Canada
Q: That’s near mexico right?
A: uhhhh… sorta.

-chris

[quote]loppar wrote:

You fool. You should’ve asked her to show you how people in her country mate. 75% chance it would’ve worked. :frowning:

Is it just me or does it seem it is usually Americans asking the silly questions about foreign lands?

In Aust. we give them heaps. Tell them kangaroos deliver the mail, and crocs come up on the beaches. That’s true in the country but never in the big cities.

And no, we are not next to Germany.

All these were asked of me while in the US at age 18:

• Do you have microwaves in your country?

• Do you have running water in your country?

• Do you have toilets in your country?

• Do you have cars in your country?

• Do you know you sound just like John Lennon? That’s so cool! [At least this one knew that a) I was British, and b) So were the Beatles]

In the US again, while I’ve been my Spanish persona (long story short: I look like a Spaniard and talk English like a Londoner; have lived 50% of my life in England and Spain):

Random Person: Hey, are you Spanish?

Me: Yeah.

RP: Oh, cool…where ya from?

Me: Errr…Spain?

RP: Oh, OK.

I had the above conversation about 5-6 times and was becoming increasingly bewildered before I mentioned it to my girlfriend, who told me Americans call Latin Americans, Spanish. Then it aaall made sense.

Also in my Spanish persona I’ve been asked if in Spain we all wear torero (bull fighter) outfits. I deadpanned “not all the time, but when boys turn 8, they are given their first suit and begin to learn bullfighting in school, you know, like you guys have sports after school”. Every time I told this story people would be fascinated and would want to know about my experiences with the bulls. For all I know, there’s a large number of American parents now teaching their 8-year old children that if they were in Spain they would be learning how to bull fight. I’d like to think so, anyway :slight_smile:

This is great stuff

About 25yrs ago went from Belfast south of the border for a family funeral and was asked by a relative “Did you have trouble getting out?”

[quote]Miserere wrote:

Also in my Spanish persona I’ve been asked if in Spain we all wear torero (bull fighter) outfits. I deadpanned “not all the time, but when boys turn 8, they are given their first suit and begin to learn bullfighting in school, you know, like you guys have sports after school”. Every time I told this story people would be fascinated and would want to know about my experiences with the bulls. For all I know, there’s a large number of American parents now teaching their 8-year old children that if they were in Spain they would be learning how to bull fight. I’d like to think so, anyway :-)[/quote]

Genius… I’ve had the microwaves question as well for some reason.

I’m from the South—#1 Question asked…

DO you ride a boat to school/work?

others include…

Do you have a pet alligator?

Do you have airconditioning?

Are your bathrooms inside?

How many shot guns does your father own?

[quote]IL Cazzo wrote:
Wait, there’s marauding bands of Mongols in Croatia? [/quote]

No, those are Huns, it is easy to confuse them…

I once convinced a guy who was visiting Winnipeg (Canada) in the middle of winter that in the spring, the city reeks of the stench of the bodies thawing out after having been frozen to death and buried in snow.