Stupid Things That Docs Do and Say

[quote]iroczinoz wrote:
Went for a blood test to just check my Thyroid levels after being on a higher dose for 3 months. GP (female).
Her: Who thought of this great idea to get thyroid tests?
Me: I want to check if I am dosing correctly or I need to adjust.
Her: Thyroid issues is what women have you are male.

[/quote]

Good googly moogly, that is bad.

Winner winner chicken dinner?

[quote]iroczinoz wrote:
Went for a blood test to just check my Thyroid levels after being on a higher dose for 3 months. GP (female).
Her: Who thought of this great idea to get thyroid tests?
Me: I want to check if I am dosing correctly or I need to adjust.
Her: Thyroid issues is what women have you are male.

I get the feeling with all the supplements like DHEA being banned around the world and the difficulty in getting treatment for testosterone deficiency etcā€¦ Is all in the favor of the government.

Live a shorter life, government saves on paying out pensions.
If the government was so concerned about your well being, alcohol & smokes would have all been banned decades ago. But no, it is a great money revenue business, people die earlier so they are in a win win situation.

[/quote]

Holy.Fucking.Shit.

same here! WTF!

Me, 3 weeks after starting TRT: ā€œDoc, Iā€™m concerned about atrophy and would like a prescription for HCG.ā€

Doc: ā€œYouā€™re not doing this HCG diet, are you? You really shouldnā€™t.ā€

Me: ā€œNo, Iā€™m not doing that. Iā€™m actually trying to gain weight, remember? But Iā€™m having some near-constant aching and Iā€™m concerned about future fertility. Iā€™ve read that low-dose HCG can solve these issues.ā€

Doc: ā€œWell, I just donā€™t think you need it. Weā€™ll talk when you have some symptoms.ā€

Me: ā€œOK, sounds good.ā€ Right. Off to the online pharmacy I go.

This is the same doc, by the way, that prescribed me anastrozole at 1mg/day. I didnā€™t argue with him, just quietly started taking .25mg EODā€¦I shudder to think of what would have happened had I ever taken that dose. .5mg EOD even on cycle turns me into a low-E trainwreck, I am super sensitive to the stuff. Even at .25mg EOD I have to occasionally skip a dose. Thank God for these forums.

^^^I wonder why he doesnā€™t consider ā€œnear-constant achingā€ to be a symptom.

[quote]VTBalla34 wrote:
^^^I wonder why he doesnā€™t consider ā€œnear-constant achingā€ to be a symptom.[/quote]

No shit, right?! Thatā€™s what I thought but I realized it wasnā€™t worth arguing with him, he was just no open to the idea. I found HCG on my own but I still resent that I had to do that. Iā€™m definitely not willing to accept atrophy.

Copied from todayā€™s livespill:

Sully23: @TC, VTBalla34, Thanks again! Another reason he gave for such a protocol was that I would not become resistant to the T injections over time. An validity to that?

ā€”this was a doctorā€™s reasoning for giving injections once every 2 weeks instead of more frequently

Iā€™ve been adhering to a lot of Charles Poliquinā€™s advice for a few years now. I went to the doctor with the desire of getting my magnesium levels checked.

In a recent article about magnesium by Poliquin " he states ā€œthe standard test used by medical doctors for magnesium measures serum magnesium levels in the blood, but only about one percent of this mineral is found in the blood. Rather, about 66 percent is found in bone and 33 percent in skeletal and cardiac muscle. In order to effectively asses magnesium levels that reflect how it works in the body you need to test content in the red blood cells. It?s very common for individuals with serum magnesium lab results in the normal range to be deficient in magnesium.ā€

So I ask to get my magnesium levels checked via RBC, but the doc says ā€œIm not sure we have pumps to get magnesium levels checked via rbc, but we use serum test for magnesium in our intensive care unit, so it is good enough to be utilized for your situation.ā€
The doc was also concerned about my heavy deadlifting(max of 610), saying that it is bound to fuck up my discs.

I wanted to get my magnesium levels checked, because Iā€™ve been doing two a days, working out pretty hard/consistent and my strength levels have really dropped. Also Iā€™ve been having trouble w/ sleep. Fortunately, Poliquinā€™s recent magnesium article illustrated a recommended magnesium dosage to be taken daily(2g for males). I am doing that along w/ supplementing lysine & Scivation knockout and have been doing significantly better.

Donā€™t mean to irritate anybody w/ this little rant, but any input/commentary/experience on this matter is greatly appreciated.

Anyone here ever get their magnesium levels checked?

Saw another doc about a month ago, a urologist this time ā€“ ā€œNo doctors prescribe aromatase inhibitors for men, itā€™s illegal.ā€

Yes. Illegal. He actually said that it is illegal. Never mind that it isnā€™t, that my E2 levels are through the roof, that I have all of the symptoms of hypogonadism even when on TRTā€¦

Still trying to find a doctor that isnā€™t a complete moron. Iā€™m trying a primary care physician on Friday who specializes in acupuncture and sports medicine; maybe heā€™s open-minded. Itā€™s getting to the point where Iā€™m tempted to cut my losses and go to an ā€˜anti-agingā€™ clinic - it may cost me an arm and a leg, but at least I wonā€™t lose my life to complications of obesity at the ripe old age of 25.

@VlocoG: have you tried supplementing with ~3mg of melatonin at night for sleep? I know thatā€™s treating the symptom, not the disease, but it might at least provide some temporary relief in the meantime.

Yea, the Knockout supp has melatonin in it. But in accordance to Poliquin and his team of doctors, it seems that magnesium is a major factor. Iā€™ve emailed Poliquin about my situation, will do once a week until I receive a response.

@VlocoG: have you tried supplementing with ~3mg of melatonin at night for sleep? I know thatā€™s treating the symptom, not the disease, but it might at least provide some temporary relief in the meantime.[/quote]

[quote]Akaji wrote:
Saw another doc about a month ago, a urologist this time ā€“ ā€œNo doctors prescribe aromatase inhibitors for men, itā€™s illegal.ā€

Yes. Illegal. He actually said that it is illegal. Never mind that it isnā€™t, that my E2 levels are through the roof, that I have all of the symptoms of hypogonadism even when on TRTā€¦

Still trying to find a doctor that isnā€™t a complete moron. Iā€™m trying a primary care physician on Friday who specializes in acupuncture and sports medicine; maybe heā€™s open-minded. Itā€™s getting to the point where Iā€™m tempted to cut my losses and go to an ā€˜anti-agingā€™ clinic - it may cost me an arm and a leg, but at least I wonā€™t lose my life to complications of obesity at the ripe old age of 25.

@VlocoG: have you tried supplementing with ~3mg of melatonin at night for sleep? I know thatā€™s treating the symptom, not the disease, but it might at least provide some temporary relief in the meantime.[/quote]

Iā€™m assuming youā€™ve read the ā€œhow to find a good doc threadā€ - but just in case you havenā€™t, it bears mentioning.

Thanks - I have. The pharmacists Iā€™ve talked to were very tight-lipped, Iā€™m uncertain why (liability reasons maybe? Who knows). The best Iā€™ve found so far is the primary care doc Iā€™m going to see on Friday, who has some positive reviews for treating based on sense of well-being rather than only going on lab tests (particularly for hypothyroidism).

[quote]VlocoG wrote:
Yea, the Knockout supp has melatonin in it. But in accordance to Poliquin and his team of doctors, it seems that magnesium is a major factor. Iā€™ve emailed Poliquin about my situation, will do once a week until I receive a response.

PMā€™s and the ability to make a new thread were created for a reason. You guys should use them for Off Topic conversations.

My Endo stated it was Illegal to prescribe Arimedix because itā€™s a bodybuilder drug after prescribing me Test Cyp and needles!?

Doctor - ā€œDo they take any supplements or any of those energy boosters at your gym?ā€

Me - ā€œI take protein powderā€

Doctor - ā€œI believe there is no real problem, itā€™s all because of your lifestyle. Everything is perfectly normal, just donā€™t take ANY weight lifting supplements.ā€

That was the dumbest endo on the planet.

[quote]fastersteve wrote:
" Why should I test for Estradiol? Thereā€™s absolutely no reason to test for that, but I can assure you it has nothing to do with your swollen feet."[/quote]

Damn, this is what my doctor told me basically. Fā€™n doctors.

Forgot to mention this: my doc called anastrozole an ā€œestrogen blockerā€ and also prescribed it at 1mg/day. Really glad I knew better. At least this way Iā€™ll have a nice stockpile of adex :slight_smile:

Well, Iā€™m no rocket scientist myself so I probably shouldnā€™t point out stupid things that doctors say, butā€¦

1. (taken from my very first post on this board)
    ā€œIt seems like my T level is going down, but she [the doctor] wants to cut my injections to once per month because sheā€™s afraid my testes will shut down and that Iā€™ll get cancer. I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever given her reason to fear either of those things, since there is no cancer in my family and Iā€™m certainly not a risk.ā€

2. I showed my new doctor (also female, dā€™oh!) the ā€œLabs to get done AFTER beginning TRTā€, as seen in the sticky. She went through the list and stopped at #7, DRE.

Doctor: ā€œDREā€¦ do you know what that is?ā€
Me: ā€œum, yes. Iā€™ve never gotten that before, and thought that maybe I shouldā€.
Doctor: ā€œWell, I donā€™t want to do that so weā€™re not going to.ā€

Talk about embarrassing. It was so hard for me to bring it up to her in the first place! But, sheā€™s the only doc that I can find thatā€™ll mail me T ampules every couple of months. So Iā€™ll just complain about it here.

^^^Arenā€™t you also the one with the doc who said HGH and hcg would ā€œdo the same thingā€?

You think this stuff is stupid, you should hear what the average insulin-pusher endo says when confronted with a case of Addisonā€™s. They have no freaking idea what to do beyond whatā€™s in the Merck Manual, none. One Ivy-educated marvel repeatedly insisted that I didnā€™t actually have Addisonā€™s, because my skin never discolored (but I did crave salt for months, lose tons of weight, get hospitalized for an Addisonian crisis, fail a 48-hr ACTH challenge test twice (the gold standard for diagnosis back when I got sick), etc., etc.) (Turns out 5% of Addisonā€™s patients never have any skin darkening.)

Of course, he also insisted that a total T of 255 was ā€œfine, and thereā€™s no need to worry about itā€. Fired that one. Current endo is far, far more clueful, thankfully.