T Nation

Stupid Things I've Done

This idea started over in T3hPwnisher's log. It seems like it would be pretty entertaining to hear what people have done. I'll start off with a few things:

-In 5th grade I thought I was the shit for doing dumbbell curls for sets of 200 with around 5 lbs. It looked like I had golf balls for biceps and I thought it was cool.

-I missed a deadlift PR in training after multiple attempts. I remembered how I read about another guy missing a PR and hitting it the next day. I thought there's no fucking way I'm going to miss it tomorrow. I went into the gym only for the PR and couldn't even get the last warm-up attempt to budge.

-The most obvious one: working up to over 225 for quarter squats to show the guy next to me that I could squat more than him.

My wife had a minor strain somewhere, i can’t even remember. I told her to go see a real doctor instead of those traditional chinese medicine practitioners/cocksuckers she usually frequents. Someone who can legally place the title of Dr. before his name. She went to a chiropractor. I’m now down by over $5k and counting.

Running stronglifts 5x5.

Got a bench (was rated for all of 50kg), bar and some weight as a hand-me-down when I was a youngen.

Put 5kg on each side. Did a few bench reps.
Put 10kg on each side. Did a few bench reps.

That was easy, I must be able to bench anything.

Proceed to put all 80kgs on the bar.

Unrack it and it is too heavy for me to even hold up and it slowly lowers against my will and pins me.

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
Running stronglifts 5x5.[/quote]

Love this thread idea (and this response). Going to give some of my own (I have tons, hard to remember them all).

-Ankle weights. Running with them, walking around with them, martial arts with them, etc. Yes, I watched a lot of DBZ. And yes, they pretty much destroyed my joints. Thank god I was only 15-16 and could bounce back.

-No lower body training for YEARS. I’m sure lots of us were guilty of this. After wrecking my knees with the ankle weights, I had “bad knees”, so surely I couldn’t lift any weights. I just ran for lower body development…yeah…

-Running programs out of Muscle and Fitness. I’m sure lots of us are guilty of this one too. Hell, just reading that magazine was a poor choice, although I noticed an uptick in quality a few years back.

-Oh geez, here is a doozy: running a linear periodization powerlifting program when I only had a bench and a smith machine. Imagine performing smith machine deadlifts. I did this for one summer, because I decided I had done enough “bodybuilding” and wanted to get strong like a powerlifter. I did the first program I could find, “modified” it for my equipment, and then wondered why it didn’t work. I’m lucky I still have a spine.

I’ll think about some others. Some of the dumb things I did ended up working out for the best as far as lessons learned or at least built up some GPP/basic strength, so I’m not including them, but I still have my fair share of just absolutely stupid ideas, haha.

Saw some amateur bodybuilder on TV when I was 16, detailing his pre-contest diet. Figured thats how he ate all the time and how he grew all his muscle. Ended up eating tuna, chicken, and iceberg lettuce every day for like a year and a half. Eventually stemmed into a legit eating/ exercise disorder.

Doing only bicep curls and push ups. No clear goal or logic, just picked up a bar and curled it as many times as I could every day. Somehow didn’t end up looking like Arnie. Probably wasn’t curling enough.

Because I’m a sharp dude and I learn things quickly I thought I came up with the “Perfect Workout Plan that You could do for life”. This was 3 months into my lifting life like 3 years ago.

All it was MWF just do heavy farmers walks and nothing else but make sure that you do them barefoot.

Probably the best worst idea I’ve ever had haha. I did lose fat and my grip strength shot up the roof though…

• In my teens only squatting with a high box

• In my teens neglecting my posterior chain

• In college, not adding hamstring or glute assistance work to our football weight lifting program when I knew it was a weakpoint of mine

This list could go on and on…

Stupid things I’ve done:
-Not training legs
-That self-pitying phase we all go through when we come to the misguided conclusion of “I must be a hardgainer” (and the subsequent “fix” of daily weight gainer shakes)
-Too much rigidity in my training
-Grinding too much/PR chasing
-Sticking my dick in crazy

[quote]daltron wrote:

[/quote]

Starting in college, I thought only the posterior chain needed work. I also thought the posterior chain was only the erectors and hamstrings so I did a lot of good mornings, back extensions, hamstring curls, and sat back as much as possible when squatting. I always wondered why my lower back would go from hyper extension to flexion when going heavy on squats and deadlifts and I still kept pushing as hard as I could. I thought it was normal for my lower back to be so sore for 3+ days after squat/deadlift sessions.

Decided to try adding bands to my bench, loaded to 225 and missed my 10th rep and got pinned under rubber bands

First time I decided to use a leg press machine I didn’t know how to disengage the stopper so I did about 3 inch range of motion leg press for 900 lbs lol

[quote]Pharmacist70 wrote:

First time I decided to use a leg press machine I didn’t know how to disengage the stopper so I did about 3 inch range of motion leg press for 900 lbs lol[/quote]

I did that too. I thought I was so strong… Did it for weeks, too. Then one day I was resting between sets and a guy came to use the leg press next to me and unhooked it… My mind was blown lol.

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
Running stronglifts 5x5.[/quote]

When I’m done running Stronglifts 5x5 I’ll come back to the Stupid Things I’ve Done Season 2 thread and say the same thing.

• in my late teens about a year after I had done any training thinking a machine chest press and barbell bench press were the same thing and trying to do 220 lbs for reps. Lucky I didn’t tear a pec.

• in my mid 20s just when I started out training going to Bodypump (the shame)

• shortly after the above when the squat rack was occupied deciding to just press my squat load overhead and lower it onto my back. Actually managed this without injury, but the weight was pathetic.

• listening to my then girlfriend who bitched I was at the gym too often and switching to kettlebells so I could train at home (she’s long gone but the bells stuck around)

• deadlifting and turning my head to check my form in the mirror which resulted in something nasty happening to my left hamstring

1. There was a bleak time on T-Nation for awhile and I actually listened to some of the posters on here years and years ago…

2. Comparing myself to others.

3. Reading too many internet articles and taking them to heart. Eventually I stopped reading so many articles and definitely stopped reading and then thinking “Oh man, I need to totally factor this into my training.” I firmly believe, there is really nothing new when it comes to getting bigger and stronger. I would say my training now is based off of a few mainstream ideas/books now-- which are a mix of: Jim Wendler’s training ideology, Pavel’s writing, the Bulgarian method, Big Beyond Belief, Brooks Kubik ideology and old school strongman training.

4. Buying into the whole supplement thing. Man… what a lie. lol Okay, there are a few legit supplements, but hopefully we all know the best supplements are copious amounts of food and sleep. I remember in college I had this whole supplement regimen full of multi-vitamins, pre-workout, post-workout, casein protein, fish oil, beta-alanine, BCAAs, superfood extracts, herbal testosterone boosters, and so on… Now, all I take is zinc, magnesium, D3, fish oil, and amino acids. I probably spend $250 a year on supplements now.

[quote]Apoklyps wrote:
Stupid things I’ve done:
-Not training legs
-That self-pitying phase we all go through when we come to the misguided conclusion of “I must be a hardgainer” (and the subsequent “fix” of daily weight gainer shakes)
-Too much rigidity in my training
-Grinding too much/PR chasing
-Sticking my dick in crazy[/quote]
You mean to tell us you’re not fucking crazy anymore?

I deadlifted

1. Running smolov with an excessive (probably 30 pounds over what I should have put) max when my best squat was 300, and running smolov JR for the bench. It helped teach incredible amounts of mental toughness, I got to the last day of the last week of the squat while being in incredible amounts of pain from DOMS of hell. I ended up straining my adductor really bad and not being able to work very well for a few days, and not being able to squat for a few weeks. My bench got stronger (and I never lost the gains lol), but it took me several months to get my squat back to where it was and break it with my new style of squat.

2. Varying stances on squats too much, and using form that is hard to replicate/recover from. I ended up widening my squat stance a lot (or it was a lot at the time, I forgot how wide it is compared to my kinda wide squat), and it felt pretty strong, but it wreaked havoc on my knees/hips from how deep I was going with that stance/the speed of the descent. I also varied the squat stance too often which fucked with my form really bad. I never do anything except my main stance when I am doing squats without a box/not doing front squats, and I got a lot of benefit from it.

3. Too much pause work and bottom end work. At some point my pause squat was about the same as my normal squat, and I got literally nothing out of it except doing a really annoying and unpleasant variation of squats because “Bro, raw lifters are always weak at the bottom”.

4. Too many big compound exercises for lowerbody that I am not even sure why I did. It was just excessive and didn’t contribute anything good, and gasp I would have probably been better off doing isolation work/ab and lower back work instead.

5. Sticking to a bastardized form of 5X5 for a year.

6. Too many rack pulls. I loved the hell out of rack pulls, and did them very often for sets of 5-10. I wish I could’ve told my 15 year old self how retarded it was to rack pull twice a week. Something in my hip/back exploded (actually felt like it pulled back and down and I felt my whole spine stiffen), and I collapsed on the floor. It was the worst injury I’ve ever had, and it has had the most long lasting effects. My back/hip still feel vulnerable pulling from my shins/knees for rack/block pulls, and I am pathetically weak at that area if I don’t have a lot of momentum from the bottom. Like 315X5 at the shins being hellish when I can pull 465 off the floor.

[quote]lift206 wrote:

[quote]daltron wrote:

[/quote]

Starting in college, I thought only the posterior chain needed work. I also thought the posterior chain was only the erectors and hamstrings so I did a lot of good mornings, back extensions, hamstring curls, and sat back as much as possible when squatting. I always wondered why my lower back would go from hyper extension to flexion when going heavy on squats and deadlifts and I still kept pushing as hard as I could. I thought it was normal for my lower back to be so sore for 3+ days after squat/deadlift sessions.[/quote]

Why do you think your back was going into from hyper extension into flexion? Like I have an idea (in my opinion) why it might happen, but I am curious why it happened for you/why you think it happened. Was it overarching/weak abs?