Stupid Question: Making Oatmeal

This is probably something totally obvious and simple, but how do you prepare oatmeal? i was thinking just throwing some in with water and microwaving it. If someone could help me with just the basic way to make it that would be great. Also, if theres anything i can mix in with it that tastes really well with it.

I either throw in around a cup of water or unsweetened vanilla almond milk…nuke it till it’s hot and creamy.

Not a stupid question. There ae pleanty of different ways. :slight_smile: Some people just eat them raw.

You can use water if you want, but I prefer milk. The amounts of milk added/time cooked also depend on how you want your oatmeal (runny vs dry). They can, of course, be tweaked.

Submerge oats in milk (just covering the surface).
Mix milk in.
Microwave for 1 minute on high.
Remove & stir. If it’s too dry, you can add a little bit more milk. It shouldn’t be solid yet.
Back in the microwave for ~40 seconds.
If it’s still too liquidy, give it a little while to cool (so the water will evaporate off) and add lots of peanut butter–I prefer crunchy for the contrasting textures.

Uh… I basically just throw some water in a bowl with the oats and nuke it.

Usually throw in a couple of spoons of Splenda, and either -

Raisens and cinnemon (how the hell do you spell that?!), or

Natural Peanut Butter.

All depends on if I want to keep my sugars low for the day or not.

Stu

Raw oats + yogurt + flax seeds = breakfast staple.

[quote]Divine Wings wrote:
Raw oats + yogurt + flax seeds = breakfast staple.[/quote]

I love that combo!

I throw a cup of oats in a rice cooker with some water, flip the switch and walk away.

Come back a little bit later and it’s ready for eating!

Isn’t oatmeal one of those foods where the cooking method changes its nutritional content? I know brown rice is that way - the longer you cook it the more carbohydrates it yields when you eat it. It seems like cooking oatmeal into a paste would cause it to be more thoroughly digested than eating it raw.

I use 1 cup of water, 1 cup of milk, 1 cup of oats, and a sweetener, some fruit or sugar, and just cook it. Turns out great.

Dump in blender with protein shake

Blend up 2 scoops Metabolic Drive vanilla, with
2 tablespoons milled flax seed, and
16 ounces of water.

Mix that with 2 cups raw oats, and a few handfuls of raisins, sliced almonds, currants, dried cranberries, and whatever other dried fruit I have hanging around the cupboard.

Let it sit for an hour or overnight in the fridge and it’s ready to eat for breakfast then next couple of days.

Note I like my oatmeal thick use more milk if you want it runny

1 cup dry oats
1cup milk
1cup frozen blueberries
1-2 scoops of protein

some extra virgin olive oil or peanut butter

Raw oats + fruit yogurt + flax seeds + Protein powder = My breakfast

Eat em raw… with milk and Metabolic Drive. After stirring they’ll soften up a bit.