Stupid question about 5/3/1

In wendlers recent article he had option #2:

5/3/1 for the main lift
5x10 assistance
5x10 assistance
curls or abs (depending on the day)

plus three days of conditioning

I’m completely new to 5/3/1 so bear with me…
when he prescribes 5/3/1 say for squats, does this mean warmup then do one set of five, one set of three, then a single? or am I getting it wrong? thanks guys

Yes, you are getting it wrong. The book’s $20 and pretty much explains everything.

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&pid=2976

Yes definitely get the book, its a longer term program (6+ months) and has a lot of room for modification so you don’t get bored or the urge to try something completely different. So the price is not bad at all when you compare any supplements/food or gym membership for the same period of time.

[quote]jjackkrash wrote:
Yes, you are getting it wrong. The book’s $20 and pretty much explains everything.

http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&pid=2976[/quote]

Hahaha, brilliant. The $20 is well worth it. Only 15 euro dollars if you’re on my side of the pond.

Hey Handsome,
I’ve got a copy of Wendler’s 5/3/1 program if you want.
My friend who was a tubby tubby no hack gym newbie, went from 180 maxing on squat 8 months ago at 265, to ramping it up to 505 last week. The shit works. Own it.
Let me know

[quote]FeckinUGE wrote:
Hey Handsome,
My friend who was a tubby tubby no hack gym newbie, went from 180 maxing on squat 8 months ago at 265, to ramping it up to 505 last week. The shit works. Own it.
Let me know[/quote]

That is really impressive.

As far as the 5/3/1 program, there are a few articles on this site that will give you a basic idea of how the program works.

I thought so too. I was like “get the f*k out of here”
But Jim and Dave have to be the idols of the century. In terms of functional movements and compound exercises accompanied with bodybuilding accessory movements for balance, and let’s face it, cosmetic god-like attributes, there is no greater fundamental starting point than 5/3/1. It poses every threat across the board.
I say, what’s better than being strong as a comic book hero, as big as a monster, and cocky because you can push press what all the other gym rats are squatting?
Nuff said
:slight_smile:

Buy the book, don’t rip it off someone else. Support Jim as he put a lot of work into it and it is valuable beyond belief.

[quote]LiquidMercury wrote:
Buy the book, don’t rip it off someone else. Support Jim as he put a lot of work into it and it is valuable beyond belief.[/quote]

This. Buy the fucking book. If you don’t have 20 bucks for the book how the hell do you afford a gym membership or the gas to get you to the gym or anything else?

All your questions are answered in the book. Buy the fucking book.

[quote]FeckinUGE wrote:
Hey Handsome,
Let me know[/quote]

You should at least discuss your conspiracy to beat Wendler out of his $20 via PM. Posting the grift in public and rubbing it in is just tacky.

I’m new to these forums… why is everyone so mean? Oh wait… I agree, buy the damn book! I’ve been doing 5/3/1 for 4 months now. Totally worth the $20

Since there is a 5/3/1 dumb question thread… I have one. First of all, I have the ebook and I’ve done the boring but big assistance before. I recently went searching around the web for some more bodybuilding type assistance. I found what I was looking for. It seems that people are saying the bodybuilding assistance was in the book but its not in mine. Can someone direct me to the page number because I really think i must be missing a page. I went through it at least 3 times. From memory (don’t have the book on me right now at work) my ebook has 5 types of assistance.

1 triumverate
2 boring but big
3 not doing jack
4 tate periodization
5 bodyweight

I read multiple threads online where folks said they were doing the bodybuilding assistance work. Some even linked the excercises. There were 2 options of 4 exercises for each day. Things such as leg extentions and tricep extentions that weren’t in any of the other assistance choices.

So this is all pretty confusing and I wanted to know where these even came from. Did Wendler have them initially and then decided to drop it for some reason? Sorry if this has been covered allready.

[quote]DJS wrote:
Since there is a 5/3/1 dumb question thread… I have one. First of all, I have the ebook and I’ve done the boring but big assistance before. I recently went searching around the web for some more bodybuilding type assistance. I found what I was looking for. It seems that people are saying the bodybuilding assistance was in the book but its not in mine. Can someone direct me to the page number because I really think i must be missing a page. I went through it at least 3 times. From memory (don’t have the book on me right now at work) my ebook has 5 types of assistance.

1 triumverate
2 boring but big
3 not doing jack
4 tate periodization
5 bodyweight

I read multiple threads online where folks said they were doing the bodybuilding assistance work. Some even linked the excercises. There were 2 options of 4 exercises for each day. Things such as leg extentions and tricep extentions that weren’t in any of the other assistance choices.

So this is all pretty confusing and I wanted to know where these even came from. Did Wendler have them initially and then decided to drop it for some reason? Sorry if this has been covered allready.[/quote]
Google 5/3/1 Mens Fitness

[quote]Malaka79 wrote:
Google 5/3/1 Mens Fitness[/quote]

Thanks. yeah that is pretty much it. But if you google “A Hardcore Look At Wendler’s 5/3/1 Powerlifting Routine” from M&S. It lists the bodybuiding assistance and says its from the ebook. It’s not in my ebook. So that is what got me curious.

Not in mine either, maybe he changed his mind. It doesn’t look bad though, I was thinking of running it for a cycle or two just for a change.

This is how I program my 5/3/1. My training was quite unstructured prior and I find having everything planned out so I know exactly what I have to do works much better for me.

Monday: Press Day Press-warm up, 3 sets of 5 (percentage based)

50 dips (done in 10 sets of 5) 50 chins or pull ups (done in sets of 3, I originally had to do 25 sets of 2!)

Tuesday: Dead-Lift day

Dead lift; warm up (agile 8) dead-lift warm up to 3 sets of 5 (percentage based) front squat or safety bar squat 5 sets 10, abs 5 sets of 10 face pulls 5 sets
20 minutes conditioning, stretch down and foam role

Wed: Off

Thursday: Bench press day: bench press warm up, 3 sets of 5 (percentage based) Incline DB press 5 sets 10 DB row 5 sets 10
20 minutes conditioning

Friday: Squat day: warm up agile 8, squat warm up to 3 sets 5 (percentage based) KB swings 5 sets 15 leg extensions 5 sets 10, face pulls, 20 minutes conditioning, stretch down and foam role

Weekend: off

[quote]DJS wrote:

[quote]Malaka79 wrote:

Thanks. yeah that is pretty much it. But if you google “A Hardcore Look At Wendler’s 5/3/1 Powerlifting Routine” from M&S. It lists the bodybuiding assistance and says its from the ebook. It’s not in my ebook. So that is what got me curious.[/quote]

It’s not in the 5/3/1 ebook. It’s in the Training Three Days a Week ebook.

[quote]FeckinUGE wrote:
Hey Handsome,
Let me know[/quote]

Holy shit! yeah I’m def interested. How much do you want for it?

[quote]buddaboy wrote:
This is how I program my 5/3/1. My training was quite unstructured prior and I find having everything planned out so I know exactly what I have to do works much better for me.

Monday: Press Day Press-warm up, 3 sets of 5 (percentage based)

50 dips (done in 10 sets of 5) 50 chins or pull ups (done in sets of 3, I originally had to do 25 sets of 2!)

Tuesday: Dead-Lift day

Dead lift; warm up (agile 8) dead-lift warm up to 3 sets of 5 (percentage based) front squat or safety bar squat 5 sets 10, abs 5 sets of 10 face pulls 5 sets
20 minutes conditioning, stretch down and foam role

Wed: Off

Thursday: Bench press day: bench press warm up, 3 sets of 5 (percentage based) Incline DB press 5 sets 10 DB row 5 sets 10
20 minutes conditioning

Friday: Squat day: warm up agile 8, squat warm up to 3 sets 5 (percentage based) KB swings 5 sets 15 leg extensions 5 sets 10, face pulls, 20 minutes conditioning, stretch down and foam role

Weekend: off [/quote]

What kind of gains did you see?

[quote]BJack wrote:

[quote]DJS wrote:

[quote]Malaka79 wrote:

Thanks. yeah that is pretty much it. But if you google “A Hardcore Look At Wendler’s 5/3/1 Powerlifting Routine” from M&S. It lists the bodybuiding assistance and says its from the ebook. It’s not in my ebook. So that is what got me curious.[/quote]

It’s not in the 5/3/1 ebook. It’s in the Training Three Days a Week ebook.[/quote]

Thanks for clearing that up. Any reason to go out and get that one if you already have the 5/3/1 ebook?