Stupid Quebec Fighting Commission

http://mmajunkie.com/news/13989/report-canadian-commission-demands-rule-changes-for-ufc-97.mma

"The report goes on to state that sources have indicated the commission may be looking to require “a much smaller cage than the UFC’s patented Octagon, prohibiting elbow and knee strikes and requiring that the referee to halt a bout should a fighter get knocked down from a strike in order to ensure the downed fighter is OK to continue.”

Damnit! Why is Canada still so far behind the times with this stuff… and now they’re moving backwards?

Interesting. I wonder why the requirement for a smaller cage of all things?

WTF? There have been MMA events in Quebec for about a decade now using a cage and a ring. And how the fuck could you have a commission that was “unaware” of the previous UFC event?

I would also like to know how keeping people standing is safer than grappling.

The only thing I can think of is these people were trained by the Ontario boxing commission.

I’m speachless! It is so difficult to soar with Eagles when you live amoung Turkeys!

[quote]streamline wrote:
It is so difficult to soar with Eagles when you live amoung Turkeys![/quote]

lol…i like that.

Hopefully the Provincial Minister in charge of sports will step in and force them to work it out. I can’t see the government wanting to give up the fees this would attract as well as the economic stimulus to Montreal,especially these days.

I am pretty sure that it will get sorted but it is bonkers.

Especially the suggestion to bring in what would ammount to a standing 8 on knockdowns. This would be similar to the rules that one of the Japanese promotions used to run under, it was horrible to watch.

Wouldn’t the UFC change venues and repay the tickets back to customers, instead of following through with the event under these rule limitations which would probably cost them a lot in PPV purchases?

^^I would hope so

^^I would hope so

If that bullshit sticks the UFC needs to pull out and hold it elsewhere.

This is the same bullshit that is happening here in Ontario. The boxing federation or whatever the fuck you call them, is worried that MMA is over shadowing boxing.

They’ve been playing the “MMA is too violent” card for some time now just to save their own self interests… fuck what the fans want!

[quote]kylec72 wrote:
Wouldn’t the UFC change venues and repay the tickets back to customers, instead of following through with the event under these rule limitations which would probably cost them a lot in PPV purchases?[/quote]

The limitations are so severe the UFC cannot possibly be thinking about following through with the event if they are in place. It would severely damage their brand.

[quote]GumsMagoo wrote:
This is the same bullshit that is happening here in Ontario. The boxing federation or whatever the fuck you call them, is worried that MMA is over shadowing boxing.

They’ve been playing the “MMA is too violent” card for some time now just to save their own self interests… fuck what the fans want![/quote]

Yeah, and boxing is so big here!

Seriously, I couldn’t name the last big fight in Ontario. It’s a bunch of idiots running things.