Stupid Personal Trainer Tricks

My gym has recently started an exercise of the month sheet on the notice board. The first one? Kneeling EZ-Bar curls. Apparently, they’re much better than standing curls.

I saw a PT load up a Smith machine for a client. They locked the plates on good with some serious looking clips too. I was relieved to see that. I hate it when the plates jump off the Smith machine bar.

Squatting on an upside down bosu.

In the Smith Machine.

He’s a long distance runner.

There are only 2 male PTs at my gym out of ten trainers.

After I finished a nice heavy shoulder workout with some Standing Military Presses they both told me I was stupid for doing shoulder work.

They said you use your shoulders in every upperbody split so theres no need to individually train them.

The closest thing to shoulder work I’ve seen them do are incline benches. They are not big guys.

[quote]rundymc wrote:
Power snatches on a swiss ball… ok I’ve never seen that, but it’d be fucking awesome.[/quote]

That one would win it all I say

[quote]CBear84 wrote:
Squatting on an upside down bosu.

In the Smith Machine.

He’s a long distance runner.

[/quote]

He’s a dumbass.

lol

I just got asked to not do power snatches at my gym this morning, something about people copying me or some shit. Didn’t argue, despite the two skinny idiots in the corner bro pressing 225, a guy half my size performing quarter squats with my 1RM, and some fat dude attempting a dead lift with the worst back round and over extension I’ve ever seen (he claimed to be ‘stretching’ his back when I asked, didn’t even know what a deadlift was)

[quote]rundymc wrote:
Power snatches on a swiss ball… ok I’ve never seen that, but it’d be fucking awesome.[/quote]

Lol. x2

[quote]rundymc wrote:
attempting a dead lift with the worst back round and over extension I’ve ever seen (he claimed to be ‘stretching’ his back when I asked, didn’t even know what a deadlift was)
[/quote]

so last year i warned a local brotard about deadlifting with a rounded back. Normally I wouldnt have, but he works hard usually and i thought id be nice. He rudely informed me that he was just stretching, and asked me if I was a PT. My response- “Im not yours, so I guess you don’t have to listen.”

A few months later he tells me that he hurt his back while deadlifting and thought of me as soon as he did it.

we start talking about his other injuries. Blown out knee, formerly shattered femur.

I asked what he did for rehab/prehab at this point.

“I do the leg press.”

–“Ok, and what else?”

“no. just the leg press.”

Conversation goes on and gets more and more retarded, he gets more and more embarassed, until he finally admits to me that he’s a PT himself, got certified online.

I told him I quit and walked away.

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
dianab wrote:
My osteopath recommends I start squatting on a SB to thoroughly activate all the leg stabilizers. I told him that I think they are pretty active in a regular heavy squat, so I can’t wait to tell him this one!

Your osteopath should be more careful with his recommendations. See the above girl-falls-off-ball-and-breaks-wrist story, lol.

However, your assertion that a regular squat activates all the leg stabilisers is wrong, sorry. Only single leg squats, etc will truly activate the lateral stabilisers of the hip, knee and ankle.

Even then, it assumes that the person does not have any biomechanical issues, sich as tight hip flexors/inhibited glute med, etc.

BBB[/quote]

Which muscles are you considering as the lateral stabilizers of the hip and knee? Why is it heavy squatting won’t “truly” activate them?

Thanks in advance.

If that isn’t doing it for you, lol, then ponder a unicycle .
BBB[/quote]

Squat on one of those bad boys and you’ll feel a few stabilisers activating. Get a helmet first though.

When I first started posting here I had a thread about a trainer I had at 24-hour fitness. And one of the things he would have me do is an overhead squat on a bosu ball. It was just the bar and he had me doing speed squats.

Also did crab walks holding the bar above my head. yep… I did em.

I also had a trainer that had me stand up in the adductor and abductor thigh machines to work them that way. Now… that just doesn’t work well. I had to reach forward an grab the frame.

And one guy would straddle the cable when I was doing cable rows. What is up with that?

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:
bushidobadboy wrote:

BBB

Squat on one of those bad boys and you’ll feel a few stabilisers activating. Get a helmet first though.[/quote]

I like where you’re going with this. Can I add balance the unicycle on an upside-down bosu ball?

Personal training beginners is for drop outs,I have never seen a good ‘regular’ instructor unless they actually train themselves.

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:

And one guy would straddle the cable when I was doing cable rows. What is up with that?

[/quote]

He wanted you to saw his bollocks off. Duh.

[quote]NinjaTreeFrog wrote:
ouroboro_s wrote:
bushidobadboy wrote:

BBB

Squat on one of those bad boys and you’ll feel a few stabilisers activating. Get a helmet first though.

I like where you’re going with this. Can I add balance the unicycle on an upside-down bosu ball?[/quote]

You’re not hard core if you don’t.

I’m pretty sure this was a Dr. Seuss vision.

buffalokilla wrote:
bushidobadboy wrote:
dianab wrote:
My osteopath recommends I start squatting on a SB to thoroughly activate all the leg stabilizers. I told him that I think they are pretty active in a regular heavy squat, so I can’t wait to tell him this one!

Your osteopath should be more careful with his recommendations. See the above girl-falls-off-ball-and-breaks-wrist story, lol.

However, your assertion that a regular squat activates all the leg stabilisers is wrong, sorry. Only single leg squats, etc will truly activate the lateral stabilisers of the hip, knee and ankle.

Even then, it assumes that the person does not have any biomechanical issues, sich as tight hip flexors/inhibited glute med, etc.

BBB

Which muscles are you considering as the lateral stabilizers of the hip and knee? Why is it heavy squatting won’t “truly” activate them?

Thanks in advance.

Glute med, min, TFL/ITB, gracillis, pectineus, adductor group, semimembranosus + tendonosus, fibularis longus + brevis, flexor digitorum longus, fl. hallucis longus, tibialus posterior (co-contracted with tib ant.).

Consider a barbell bench Vs a DB bench as a parallel to a squat Vs a single leg squat and you may see that unilateral exercises require more activation of stabilisers and synergists, usually.

If that isn’t doing it for you, lol, then ponder a unicycle Vs a bicycle. One requires far more control, balance and neuromuscular skill than the other.

BBB[/quote]

a Unicycle Tour de France would be just so much win!

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:
NinjaTreeFrog wrote:
ouroboro_s wrote:
bushidobadboy wrote:

BBB

I like where you’re going with this. Can I add balance the unicycle on an upside-down bosu ball?

You’re not hard core if you don’t.

I’m pretty sure this was a Dr. Seuss vision.[/quote]

“If you never did, you should. These things are fun, and fun is good.”
Dr. Seuss

The other day at 24 hour fitness I saw this kid training this young lady and she was over by the squat rack on her hands and knees puking. When she was done she got up and the trainer said, “you only got 50 more reps to go”. She was doing lunges. It was all could do to keep from saying, “if you want to be able to use your knees in the future get the hell away from this guy”! I didn’t…I watched her grunt it out while I did squats at puke smellin rack next hers.

MORAL:

When your client pukes you might want to back off a little!

[quote]NinjaTreeFrog wrote:
ouroboro_s wrote:
bushidobadboy wrote:

BBB

I like where you’re going with this. Can I add balance the unicycle on an upside-down bosu ball?[/quote]

No, on a swiss ball, on a treadmill. You have to pedal backward in order to make the ball under the unicycle roll forward so it keeps up with the treadmill, all while squatting.