Stupid Clothing Companies

I NEVER had a problem w/ suits because my Grandfather was a master tailor. BUT, trying to get a tux for the senior prom when I was 18 5’6", 195lbs, and I wore a 50 jacket and a 31 pants, w/ HUGE quads and a big ass as well. I looked HILARIOUS.

[quote]~karma~ wrote:
A) Kilts are HOT

B) http://rheingoldfashions.com

C) Like BlueScorp mentioned, you guys aren’t the only ones with issues finding off the rack clothes. How about being 5’2", 36DD and a size 4 pant with a 31" inseam? The only way to get a suit to fit (other than custom) is to buy a size 12 jacket and a 4 pant and have both tailored. Results still aren’t anywhere near as good as custom, though.[/quote]

My girlfriend had the same problem. Still does to a degree. She’s also 5’2 and was also a DD with a tight little body. Her boobs shrunk a little when her bodyfat dropped (body’s even tighter now). But they’re still pretty big, and she’s still bigger on top because of them.

[quote]~karma~ wrote:
A) Kilts are HOT

C) Like BlueScorp mentioned, you guys aren’t the only ones with issues finding off the rack clothes. How about being 5’2", 36DD and a size 4 pant with a 31" inseam? The only way to get a suit to fit (other than custom) is to buy a size 12 jacket and a 4 pant and have both tailored. Results still aren’t anywhere near as good as custom, though.[/quote]

You’re 5’2" with a 31" inseam? Holy cow. I’m 5’7" with a 28" inseam. Just trying to picture you standing next to me and having our waists at almost the same level. Uhh, just for comparative purposes you know. :wink:

[quote]~karma~ wrote:
A) Kilts are HOT

I feel your pain. I was shopping for a new black evening dress on Saturday and I could not get most of them over my shoulders and chest. Those that did looked like maternity gowns! I ended up getting a sleeveless one so I can actually move lol.

And every suit I buy has to be larger on top than bottom. But then I have to tailor it becaue the assumption of designers is that is you have large shoulders and bust you also have huge hips/ass and belly :frowning:

[quote]Kuz wrote:
~karma~ wrote:
A) Kilts are HOT

C) Like BlueScorp mentioned, you guys aren’t the only ones with issues finding off the rack clothes. How about being 5’2", 36DD and a size 4 pant with a 31" inseam? The only way to get a suit to fit (other than custom) is to buy a size 12 jacket and a 4 pant and have both tailored. Results still aren’t anywhere near as good as custom, though.

You’re 5’2" with a 31" inseam? Holy cow. I’m 5’7" with a 28" inseam. Just trying to picture you standing next to me and having our waists at almost the same level. Uhh, just for comparative purposes you know. ;)[/quote]

I missed that part. 31" inseam. Wow, you’re all leg.

Kuz: Yep, odd measurements, I know. I have virtually no waist (two fingers width between my bottom rib and hipbone) and proportionally long legs. So from a front/rear view I’m virtually curveless, columnar; but with the boobs and ass the profile is pretty good. I’ve always been envious of builds like SicTorn’s (and most ‘normal’ women) that have room between the ribs and hips for an indent of a waist and the resultant hourglass shape. God just didn’t deal me good genetics in that regard.

BlueScorp: Hon, we need to shorten that handle or I’ll end up referring to you as BS! LOL I hear you on the evening gown thing. I found that strapless or spaghetti strap style tops with a trumpet hem is most flattering on me. I look like Jessica Rabbit! I especially like a corset waist - helps give me curve.

As for suits - argh! Why is it that if your waist is X, then your hips must be X+10" and your ass another 5" (or something like that)? My umbilicus and hip measurements are about 3 inches apart! sigh The price we pay for not being “normal”…

Try being a girl who’s 5’8" and needs a 34" inseam and has wide shoulders. Its fine for jeans or whatever but virtually all female business wear is cut for a 5’4" woman (the average height) with big hips and small shoulders. After suffering in flood pants and flat shoes for years my husband was determined to find me some nice suits. We went to a big city and hit every high-end business wear store we could find, prepared to spend whatever it took. I still couldn’t find a thing that fit.

I finally found one suit that was not too bad. I paid $500 for it and still had to get it tailored. I hate clothes shopping because it is always so disappointing. I’m not that tall. You would think there would be enough of a market out there that they could make some longer pants.

At least I don’t have the big boob/little body thing going on. I have friends with that problem who can’t wear anything off the rack. I think most tops are made using a B-Cup fit model in the smaller sizes.

Karma, nothin wrong with long legs!

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/./1/.1123544335615.startback2.jpg

[quote]JPBear wrote:
Try being a girl who’s 5’8" and needs a 34" inseam and has wide shoulders.

[/quote]

/WAVE :slight_smile: My avatar is the “before” shot I took in June when I started to lift weights. I have no idea what I will do if add any mass in my shoulders or upper back.

I also have the 34" inseam problem, although I have found that tall women’s pants are NOT typically “big and tall” thankfully.

As for the suits, my best advice is those with a little stretch or get larger ones tailored at the waist. Of course, most of them will still be too short…

And Karma, how bout just “Scorp” :stuck_out_tongue:

I see only on attachment at a time. He’s the other starting shot of shoulders/back.

dp

[quote]~karma~ wrote:
Kuz: Yep, odd measurements, I know. I have virtually no waist (two fingers width between my bottom rib and hipbone) and proportionally long legs. So from a front/rear view I’m virtually curveless, columnar; but with the boobs and ass the profile is pretty good. I’ve always been envious of builds like SicTorn’s (and most ‘normal’ women) that have room between the ribs and hips for an indent of a waist and the resultant hourglass shape. God just didn’t deal me good genetics in that regard.
[/quote]

Seriously? 2 fingers distance from rib to hip?

I feel like the opposite from you (well, besides the gender difference, of course). I clearly have shorter legs and more height through my upper body. Trying to find pants in most stores is borderline impossible for me. I used to be able to find 33W, 28L jeans or pants at the Gap… but now when I look at their in-store charts, I see I have forever been banished to “Gap.com Only”.

Bastards… making me feel like a freak. sniff I smell a lawsuit.

[quote]Kuz wrote:

Bastards… making me feel like a freak. sniff I smell a lawsuit.[/quote]

Class action? If all of us on this thread banded together we could probably squeeze out a nice sum in today’s society. lol

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
Kuz wrote:

Class action? If all of us on this thread banded together we could probably squeeze out a nice sum in today’s society. lol[/quote]

jsbrook - I like how you think about the big picture. You’ll make a fine barrister some day! lol

I’m admitted in NY and there is clearly a boatload of clothing companies located there. It’s a call to arms!

I was at Banana Republic the other day and tried on their version of XXL sweater. I felt like a human sausage. I thought that it might be just the cut of that sweater and tried on other stuff, but it was all ridiculously small. Abercrombie & Fitch is even worse.

Is it a coincidence that the most popular and trendy stores have fits designed for scrawny guys? Welcome to the manarexification of America.

Good Lord, 5’8" with a 34" inseam?! I’m 9" taller than you and my inseam is only 2" longer.

[quote]bino wrote:
I was at Banana Republic the other day and tried on their version of XXL sweater. I felt like a human sausage. I thought that it might be just the cut of that sweater and tried on other stuff, but it was all ridiculously small. Abercrombie & Fitch is even worse.

Is it a coincidence that the most popular and trendy stores have fits designed for scrawny guys? Welcome to the manarexification of America.[/quote]

I got a funny t-shirt from Abercrombie as a gift last fall. It said “XL” but it was definitely about 2 sizes too small. Why oh why isn’t there a clothing store that has stuff for athletically built tall guys (no, Big and Tall stores don’t cut it)?

BlueScorp you look like you have a great V-Taper and a really tiny waist (which means I hate you!) I’m like Karma, not genetically blessed with an hourglass shape looking straight on. I have a lot of leg and not much between my ribcage and hips so even when I’m super lean I still have a boyish figure looking straight on. I’m glad it’s possible to at least create the illusion of a small waist by building up your shoulders/lats and your quads/glutes. In the case of my body type, I expect it will take me years to get enough size on to do that though.

[quote]Kuz wrote:
jsbrook wrote:
Kuz wrote:

Class action? If all of us on this thread banded together we could probably squeeze out a nice sum in today’s society. lol

jsbrook - I like how you think about the big picture. You’ll make a fine barrister some day! lol

I’m admitted in NY and there is clearly a boatload of clothing companies located there. It’s a call to arms![/quote]

Hehe. thanks! Absolutely a call to arms. If some moos can sue the airlines because they can’t fit in one seat and don’t want to pay for another, why not this? lol

Yes, Iron tries on BR stuff and I break out into song, “Y…M…C…A…” Lots of those designer duds look not only too tight on him, but on him they look effeminitely tight…

[quote]bino wrote:

Is it a coincidence that the most popular and trendy stores have fits designed for scrawny guys? Welcome to the manarexification of America.[/quote]