Stuff You Learned This Year

[quote]spar4tee wrote:
Maybe you need to get stronger in other areas? Maybe your technique drains balls? Maybe you could use an even stronger OH? Maybe all of the above are true???

DISCLAIMER: This is not me being a douche.[/quote]

Which is exactly why I’ve changed my training up to focus on my weak areas, and taken a deeper look at my technique.

So I guess that’s something else I’ve learned: how to pinpoint my weaknesses.

1.technique is everthing.
2.behind the neck press is the best for big traps
3.one working set is enoughtfor a bigger bench/deadlift/squat …some back off sets after the big set are enought to build muscle
4.technique is everything
5.your own home gym can be the best gym

1.) Deadlifting only twice a month works best for me
2.) I need to improve my flexibillity
3.) occasionally have someone record my form because just because i “feel” like im going low enough or my back is arched doesn’t meen it is.
4.) Going to failure on the bench makes me stronger

Funny thing is i have only been training for 10 months so idk if this stuff is just working because im a beginner lol. Although i have always been active i just started training seriously with the weights.

I learned just HOW MUCH I suck.

1 ) my bench improves quickly if Im not squatting or pulling .

1. my body can handle heavy benching more often than I thought…as long as Im not squatting . since I started squatting again (after injury/surgery) , Im working back toward benching heavy more often than once a week …gotta see if it works .

2. injuries really fuck a guy over

not sure about this one yet…
4) it’s possible that less is more when it comes to assistance work .

ive learnt that:

hard work and a good program will add to maxes.

having a decent spotter will add to maxes(mental thing i guess)

wrist wraps are shite for flat benching, but are awesome for board benching.(weird eh?)

my lats are important.

my shoulders can never be too strong.

push press is my best friend for OHP.

[quote]GhostOD wrote:
I learned just HOW MUCH I suck. [/quote]

I learn that daily. Also on Mondays when I train at an actual powerlifting gym and the bench crew I’m with has 3 guys that have been on Powerlifting watch USA’s top 50 benchers of all time list. They’re still in the early stages of their warmup using my max weights.

I have learned that

1. There is so much more to learn, and several people on this forum have provided advice that is priceless…if you can sift through alot of the moronic stuff that is posted. For that, I tip my cap to alot of you regs providing constant inspiration and wisdowm…which I can hopefully pass down in the future

2. High reps on the deadlift with a complete reset for each (similar to rest pause i guess) have caused a year straight of new pr’s and well over a triple bw deadlift

3. following that…once I started high rep kroc rows and 50+ weighted pullups a week I NEVER had a grip problem whatsover

4. I learned the importance of dip-grip and rip for deadlift explosion. Gotta drop into that deadlift stance and pull immediately to fully engage those hammies.

My best lesson this year has probably been meeting an extraordinary amount of people who find excuses in sucking ass at lifting.

There is something magical about having 6 plates or more on a bar, at least in almost every gym I’ve trained in, that causes people to share their story on why they can not do it.

[quote]Evolv wrote:
My best lesson this year has probably been meeting an extraordinary amount of people who find excuses in sucking ass at lifting.

There is something magical about having 6 plates or more on a bar, at least in almost every gym I’ve trained in, that causes people to share their story on why they can not do it. [/quote]
last sentence made me lol

One more thing I learned this year…spent years bodybuilding, doing high volume, reps in the 6-10 range. I did ok.

Got into powerlifting…so I could eat. What I learned…I should of been over here years ago. Strength and size has gone up more in the last 4-5 months than it has in years. You want to be big, find some powerlifters, and try to keep up.

[quote]greystoke wrote:
One more thing I learned this year…spent years bodybuilding, doing high volume, reps in the 6-10 range. I did ok.

Got into powerlifting…so I could eat. What I learned…I should of been over here years ago. Strength and size has gone up more in the last 4-5 months than it has in years. You want to be big, find some powerlifters, and try to keep up.[/quote]

x2… I learned this lesson last year. I spent years “bodybuilding” and got almost nowhere but as soon as I switched to powerlifting I added 90 pounds onto my bench in one year and a solid 20 pounds of muscle.

amount of hard work you put in, measures the results you will get, no matter what the training methology, hard work will allways bring the best results.

As a raw lifter I learned:

1. 5Lb increase from previous week is a blessing…Hard to grasp at first but it helps

2. Accepting that there will be good days and bad days and because of this having what I call a test rep/set which is typically 5Lbs more than previous week. If this feels like a million pounds then I beat last week and I made improvements. If weight feels good then I can jump to my goal weight for the day.

3. Working with percentages and total reps scheme has helped me improve more in 3 months than past 2 years

4. Stop looking at geared lifters because their technique does not and has not worked for me

5. A good belt makes a huge difference in me staying tight. Forever I had the bodybuilder belt you would buy at academy sports and finally broke down and purchased a 10mm Lever belt. I am able to stay tighter, blow air against the belt and overall feel more explosive and stronger handling heavier weight…In other words, stop being cheap.

6. Lurking around this site and reading how others train and then incorporate small techniques and fixes.

[quote]hatesmiles wrote:
amount of hard work you put in, measures the results you will get, no matter what the training methology, hard work will allways bring the best results.[/quote]

This is so not true. Some guys walk past a squat rack and get results, for others nothing seems to work. Some people respond to high reps others it does nothing…no matter how hard you go at it.

If you find banging your head against the wall does nothing but give you a headache, banging it harder is a waste of time.

If all training methodology worked the same for everyone…there would only be a need for one.

I have found for “me” that working with submaximal weights for reps is more efficient for strength gains.

[quote]AquaCruzer wrote:

[quote]BigSkwatta wrote:

1. My hamstrings and glutes were weak as hell, and the only thing carrying my squat till the past year was my big quads. Brought up glutes and hams, raw squat went up about 200lbs…

[/quote]

What did you do to bring up your glutes and hamstrings?[/quote]

GHR every day (2 sets at the end of upper body workouts, 4 sets lower body days, and 2 sets on off days)

Super wide sumo stiff legs

Stiff legs

Hip bridges heavy… 3-5 rep max

Kettlebell blastoffs

Strict back raises on GHR

Glute activation work

Pause squats

My hamstrings and glutes were extremely weak compared to my quads, so I saw improvement very quickly once I started hitting them harder.

I need more calories.
I need less carbs, and more healthy fats and protein.
I need to stretch and do mobility work regularly.
I need to work harder.
I need to keep things the same, but different (like West side do, constantly vary the most effective exercises then vary sets, rep, rest periods and rep ranges).
I need to make myself accountable i.e in my training log, that really does motivate me to work harder and longer.

In the old days, there was advertising for products. BUTTT, in the old days, marketing companies didn’t flat out lie about their products just to get people to pay for them.

Good and bad on the Internet, but at least the Internet has opened up things for Bodybuilding, and several other thousand sports and hobbies, where people can write about products they try. That way we are able to search and find out the actual results of peoples’ experiences of products.

Can you imagine if Peptides just advertised !!?!?!?! And that was all we had to go on? Can you imagine trying a Peptide and not being able to read posts about peoples’ actual experiences with it first? WOW.

1. Lifting heavy rules
  2. Chiropractic work has helped mt squat and DL
  3. Planning your workouts are better than just doing it on the fly
  4. Videoing yourself do your lifts helps you do better the next time. Watching myself bench and posting it on here and having people give me pointers has helped.
  5. Even as a Personal Trainer I still can learn from the varying styles of lifting. I’m not a know it all :wink:
  6. Constantly reminded most people have desires but aren’t willing to sacrifice for them. If it’s worth it will cost you something