T Nation

Stuff Always Seems to Diffuse the Hype of Something Else

Alright, so I’m no body builder… But I am ‘body building’ so to speak. I’m almost 19 now, and I have been working out since I was 11. Only in the last year did I decide that I was fed up with a skinny, athletic physique. October of 2010 started doing things right, good diet, work out plan, sleep, etc. In 3 weeks I put on 15 lbs. I put on 10 more lbs, and up until now, I have been vacillating between 178 and 183. I’ve been told I’m too young to worry about this kind of stuff, but my goal is to be bigger and stronger than anyone I look at who’s my age.
I have a super fast metabolism, am taking in 3500 cals a day and on work out days plan to do 4400 (with post work out shake). Currently am on a week off after a 6 week period, so I wanted to start my next phase right.

The current set up for a work out I have might be over training. Not sure though. I am aware the rep set up is kind of weird. If it’s beyond stupid, let me know, I s’pose. Any advice is greatly appreciated! But I am just going to give the upper body plan… The lower body plan I have right now is fine.

Monday:
Voyeur Shrug - 4 sets x 10,8,8,6 reps supersetted w/Farmer’s walk
Wide Grip Pull Ups - 4 sets, every set to failure
Incline Bench Press - 6 sets x 6,6,5,4,3,3 reps (technically it’s 6-3 reps on the plan)
One Arm DB Row - 4 sets 5,5,4,3 reps
Cross Body Hammer Curl - 4 sets 12,10,10,8 reps

Wednesday:
DB Military Press (explosive) - as many reps until I hit 40 reps
Skullcrushers - 5 sets 10,8,8,6,5 reps
Pullovers (low RoM) - 4 sets x 5 reps
Wide Grip Lat Pulldown - 5 sets 8,8,6,5,4 reps
Cable Flys - 4 sets x 10 reps
Meadow Rows - 4 sets x 8 reps
Front Raise - 4 sets x 10,10,10,8 reps
Preacher Curls - 4 sets x 15-8 reps

Saturday:
Barbell Curls - 4 sets x 5-2 reps
Barbell Farmer’s Walk - 3 sets
Row Machine (with the clench 2 second hold) - 6 sets 12 - 4 reps
Weighted Pull Ups - 4 sets x 3 reps
DB Incline Bench (explosive) - 5 sets x 6-4 reps
Lateral Raise - 4 sets x 8,8,8,6 reps
Incline DB Curl - 4 sets x 12,10,10,8 reps

I have a super fast metabolism

in other words ‘i need to eat more’.

The lower body plan I have right now is fine

sure. i’m sure it is.

“in 3 weeks I put on 15lbs”

Eh? Congratulations on putting on FAT

“I have a super fast metabolism”

Eh? x 2

[quote]SmallManBigPlan wrote:
But I am just going to give the upper body plan… The lower body plan I have right now is fine.[/quote]

Translation: I’m only working and only care about my upper body…

sighs

A) I put on 15 lbs in 3 weeks. A lot of physical things changed in those 3 weeks. It might have been some fat, but the change was substantial. Don’t know the bio behind how it happened, but bitching about it doesn’t do you or me any good. So thanks for your post, but not really.

B) The leg plan I have is pretty decent. I haven’t thought to do legs with upper body so as to split it up. I have 2 days a week dedicated to legs currently. The work out is from a PT at the gym.

C) You don’t HAVE to post on everything you see. If something bothers you, why not direct yourself away from it? I wasn’t being rude in my request. I just signed up on this site because the articles are freaking awesome and I read a bunch of stuff in the forums and it looked productive.

Split your days up either by body part (i.e. chest, back, arms, delts), or by movement (i.e. push/pull). If your primary goal is aesthetics go with the first one. If strength is primary focus, go with latter. You’re exercise selection has absolutely no direction or structure.

If you gained 15lbs in 3 weeks, you’re doing it wrong…and you don’t have a super fast metabolism. Absolute best case scenario, 2 of those lbs were muscle.

Lastly, if your lower body workout is “fine,” why not just post it here so others can learn from you then?

Some people in this tread made dumb comments, and im not talking about only the op.

Dude, stick here for a week and you’ll see why you’re getting the responses you are.

Within the next 7 days you will 3-10 other random guys who feel the need to tell us their lifting story and all about them, like they’re somehow magically different or have much more extenuating circumstances against them than the next person.

All of these people will post a TLDR post, followed by a WAY TLDR workout routine, and then ask for “advice” or “critique.” Wtf does that even mean? More so, what are we possibly going to offer you that any of the same billion other threads or topics about the exact same shit won’t just give you?

Oh, that’s right, it’s information that’s not spoon-fed for you.

So, that’s why you’re getting snide and sarcastic responses.

I will add nothing of relevance, because I did research and figured things out the big-boy way (by myself,) just like most others around here.

Don’t take it personally, when we see a person with a post count of 1 or 2, the majority of the time they’re just time wasters who don’t even come back to check on the thread they made.

Often times people don’t even appreciate a well thought out response either, total lack of respect. So what you’ll get is people “testing the waters” with their initial post to see how the thread starter responds (if they even respond at all)

Back on topic - I’d advise you to put your head down and make progress in the gym (get strong for reps). Keep it simple, and then alter when as needed. Don’t change things all the time just because you read someone say this or that. Learn your own body.

If reading stuff just confuses you, you need to read less articles (pieces here or there) and read a few decent books on bodybuilding to get a good rounded picture and focus. Some of my favourites include:

Beyond Brawn by Stuart McRobert - excellent book that got me really focussed on what works

Muscle Gaining Secrets by Jason Ferrugia (ebook) - good book that cuts out the crap

Extreme Muscle Enhancement 3rd Edition - good book that gives an overall view of bodyuilding

Obtain these books, study well! Learn the principles.

Will say more about routine etc if you want, but that’s your first priority ^ which surprisingly MANY ignore (they post on here, or get scammed of their money on Clickbank by the next “best thing” without even getting a base of knowledge or putting the simple crap into practice first)

B) The leg plan I have is pretty decent. I haven’t thought to do legs with upper body so as to split it up. I have 2 days a week dedicated to legs currently. The work out is from a PT at the gym.
[/quote]
Does it involve swiss balls?

I can gain 15 lbs in one sitting. Three weeks is plenty of time if you count in that progress isn’t linear, there are natural fluctuations in weight and that he might have weighed himself under different circumstances.

Thanks. I will check them out from the library in the next couple days.

It’s not that I want it spoon fed, and I realize that people are doing this all the time. But I only realized this the day after I posted this, and rather than delete it, I figured the ONE response that was good that I received would be worth it, which it will pan out to be. Additionally, it does get confusing when everyone’s body is different, yet people and articles and what not say that their way or this way works better than that and you just read something that contradicts that. So I figured in giving a quick background, it would help out. Sorry.

[quote]SSC wrote:

Cool story bro… never heard it before[/quote]

fixed.

I dont see why you would consume 1000 fewer calories on off days. ESPECIALLY if you have a fast metabolism. Thats a huge discrepancy for someone that only weighs 180lbs.

C) You don’t HAVE to post on everything you see. If something bothers you, why not direct yourself away from it? I wasn’t being rude in my request. I just signed up on this site because the articles are freaking awesome and I read a bunch of stuff in the forums and it looked productive.[/quote]

you obviously havent been around this site long if you think this^^ would ever happen lol

cough Do this routine instead of that dumb one cough

Bonez, thanks. and Kingbeef, which work out?

The 5 day in the first post would be a good place to start, considering it seems you’re trying to work out 5 days a week. Run that for 12 weeks and I’m a fan of 1.5g protein per pound of body weight while eating enough cals to gain about a pound maybe every 2 weeks as long as strength is increasing.

Yep yep thanks! I feel like I am quite knowledgeable in some areas of lifting, but then there are other areas where (like for example my creating of workouts) I look like a complete moron, and usually am acting as one.

Wait sorry Beef, what first post are you speaking of? I’m lost.