Studying for the MCATs

one more easily-accessible reading resource for you:

BostonBarrister starts threads with illuminating articles from a variety of sources.

Thanks once again to all. The advice given is priceless. I really appreciate it. I’m going to save this thread, or better yet print it and refer to it as I get more into preparing for the test. =)

Thanks to EVERYONE once again.

-ton

For the writing portions you can try to pick up Time Magazine’s 50 most influential people of the century (it covers entertainers, leaders, politicians, business people etc etc)… granted i took that horrible test years ago, that book helped me get an “Q or R” on the writing…

[quote]BostonBarrister wrote:
BoxBabaX wrote:
I will most likely be taking the MCATS summer 07, so i was wondering on this same matter. From my experiences with people that have taken it, I think ill most likely be doing the kaplan program. At UCSD we had a guest speaker recently in the school of medicine speaking to pre-meds and he gave us alot of tips and stuff, he also seemed to recommend kaplan. I’m just curious, which city do you live in?

Now I live in DC. I’m UCSD class of 98 though, and I ran the grad programs at The Princeton Review, San Diego for a year after I graduated.

One thing to keep in mind about your speaker – I’m sure Kaplan sponsored him. We used to do the same thing: sponsor someone to give an overview talk, and usually give and grade a practice test too.[/quote]

Well I dont know if you have heard of him… His name is Houman Hemmati, he got his B.Sc from stanford, MD from UCLA and PhD from caltech. Hes starting his residency in opthlamology at Johns Hopkins this year too. He was also on the UCLA medical school admissions commitee for several years. Im sure you guys sponsered guys like houman all the time :p. He actually visits institutions all around the country and speaks to pre-meds although UCSD seems to be his favorite.

This is a little about him too if you wanna know more http://pr.caltech.edu/periodicals/CaltechNews/articles/v38/hammati.html

I know i didnt really make it clear who the “speaker” was.

And to anyone else interested in the mcat, it IS infact going to be all computerized starting april next year. I get to be a damn guinea pig and test it out in april :(.