T Nation

Study on Effects of ZMA Supplementation

ZMA = scam

I predict that this thread will disappear

I’m not surprised. The single study used to promote ZMA was a sham to begin with. However, making sure we have enough zinc can’t be a bad thing, and you’ve got to love the secondary effect you get while sleeping!

I notice that even though the label says “Anabolic Mineral Support Formula” the new store calls it “Metabolic Mineral Support Formula”; perhaps they are recognizing that not all of Conte’s claims can be supported–or that there is conflicting research.

This study doesn’t mean that supplementing with zinc and magnesium isn’t important.

[quote]TShaw wrote:
I notice that even though the label says “Anabolic Mineral Support Formula” the new store calls it “Metabolic Mineral Support Formula”; perhaps they are recognizing that not all of Conte’s claims can be supported–or that there is conflicting research.[/quote]

Or maybe they think that, in light of all the steroid issues out there nowadays, the word ‘anabolic’ would scare people off of it.

It helps me sleep well so I can spare the $13 a month.

-dizzle

[quote]A-Dizz wrote:
It helps me sleep well so I can spare the $13 a month.

-dizzle[/quote]

exactly

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
A-Dizz wrote:
It helps me sleep well so I can spare the $13 a month.

-dizzle

exactly[/quote]

It is the best most natural sleep I have felt…

What they fail to take into account is that the test subjects weren’t zinc deficient to begin with. Did you actually read the study? All they actually determined is that the average gym rat doesn’t need this, because his zinc levels are fine.

Do people here experience that the longer you take it the less effect it has?

[quote]Patriek wrote:
Do people here experience that the longer you take it the less effect it has?[/quote]

In general? Ive been taking it for a few months straight and I cant tell if it is helping me sleep any better at this point (due to Z-12) or if I’m really losing weight as I sleep.

[quote]Patriek wrote:
Do people here experience that the longer you take it the less effect it has?[/quote]

It would be normal for one to notice the effects less over time since your mineral levels would be more normalized.

I’ve been taking ZMA for years and it still helps me sleep, and thus recover, better.

If you understand the product, you’d realize that it’s silly to claim it’s a scam.

Whenever I use ZMA, I get better sleep

/thread

[quote]HK24719 wrote:
Patriek wrote:
Do people here experience that the longer you take it the less effect it has?

It would be normal for one to notice the effects less over time since your mineral levels would be more normalized.[/quote]

–> That would be it :slight_smile:

If I stop taking ZMA for a while and continue my current level of activity, then when I start taking it again my dreams become very vivid and surreal and I feel like I sleep a lot deeper. If I consistently take it for about 2 weeks, then it stops having any noticeable effect.

I have not noticed any change in weight room performance while taking ZMA or not. However, I have noticed a slight change in recovery that roughly correlates to ZMA usage, but I cannot verify if the ZMA is the contributing factor.

ZMA = better sleep and more vivid dreams.

ZMA does not = more strength and mass.

If I don’t take it, I don’t sleep as well. I’ve taken it for years with few breaks in between. I can tell when I don’t take it.

[quote]wfifer wrote:
What they fail to take into account is that the test subjects weren’t zinc deficient to begin with. Did you actually read the study? All they actually determined is that the average gym rat doesn’t need this, because his zinc levels are fine. [/quote]

Because this needs to be quoted.

[quote]lowlight wrote:
However, making sure we have enough zinc can’t be a bad thing…[/quote]

Too much zinc has been inplicated in prostate problems, I think.

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
ZMA = better sleep and more vivid dreams.

ZMA does not = more strength and mass.

If I don’t take it, I don’t sleep as well. I’ve taken it for years with few breaks in between. I can tell when I don’t take it.[/quote]

I have WAY better sleep while taking it than when not…

However as of 3 months ago I started takeing a magnesium with zinc tab inlue of the ZMA and can report, at least for myself that I get the same great dreams with heavy sleep…

Dirt cheep too…

But if you can get ZMA cheep or you just don’t want to stop a good thing then keep taking it…

I would have never stopped but I ran out of ZMA and my funds at the time were really thin so out of desperation I tried it…

[quote]inthego wrote:
However as of 3 months ago I started takeing a magnesium with zinc tab inlue of the ZMA and can report, at least for myself that I get the same great dreams with heavy sleep…
[/quote]

So either the magnesium and zinc is just as good as ZMA - or they both do nothing ; )

Actually, as far as supplementing Magnesium, the body needs a certain ratio of magnesium to calcium, so supplementing just one of them, in that respect, is not only probably not necessary, but actually bad for you.