Study Finds Abstinence Programs Work

[quote]John S. wrote:
I do not believe in Abstinence, I just do not think schools should be teaching sex education that should be the parents job.

I was just posting this article because I found it interesting.[/quote]

And an interesting article it was. I can’t agree though with sex education being merely taught by parents. Procreation is a massive part of biology - so from an educational point of view, you will need a comparable knowledge base amongst pupils/students. Now I would prefer to have the pure mechanics taught in the context of minimising too early sex, and the risks that come with sexual activity in general. I would hope for parents gently introducing the topic - giving them a chance to transfer their values as part of their education - before the children are confronted with the technical facts. This would also allow public health messages to fall into context - but at the same [edit] time [/edit] to be properly understood.

Makes sense?

Makkun

[quote]makkun wrote:

[quote]John S. wrote:
I do not believe in Abstinence, I just do not think schools should be teaching sex education that should be the parents job.

I was just posting this article because I found it interesting.[/quote]

And an interesting article it was. I can’t agree though with sex education being merely taught by parents. Procreation is a massive part of biology - so from an educational point of view, you will need a comparable knowledge base amongst pupils/students. Now I would prefer to have the pure mechanics taught in the context of minimising too early sex, and the risks that come with sexual activity in general. I would hope for parents gently introducing the topic - giving them a chance to transfer their values as part of their education - before the children are confronted with the technical facts. This would also allow public health messages to fall into context - but at the same [edit] time [/edit] to be properly understood.

Makes sense?

Makkun[/quote]

If they are going to be taught the biological aspects of it in school, as long as they stay clear of safe sex or abstinence topics it should be ok. Talk about the act but keep the moral talk out of the class room. I could see that as a compromise

Her’s a news flash, not every kid is a nit whit. I waited to have sex until I was 21and felt responsible I would be safe from disease and an unwanted pregnancy. I understood contraception ( I was a Bio major at PSU who was going on to be a Chiropractor so I knew how things worked).

I never had drunken hook ups, bad relationships, etc. I’m also 46 btw, so maybe in that generation we did wait longer. I also did not see a single pregnant gal in our high school through my high school career. I graduated in 1981 for reference.

So whatever is happening, is not working. And no, I’m not some repressed weirdo, I never cheated on a girlfriend/fiancee/wife. And yes, I’ve had sex. I won’t give everyone the details, but some people can have self control and still be a good relationship with great sex.

As for abstinence only, I think everyone should know how stuff works and how contraception works. and how to change tires, shovel snow, balance a check book, do basic math etc. but we also need to tell these kids that abstinence works 100% for sure. There is a risk with any other kind of contraception for pregnancy and or VD.

What I personally think works is being involved with your kids. Telling them not jsut know, but about repercussions. Showing them a bright future and teaching them to delay gratification. this will tkae them far in many ways.

Saving money, education, work ethic, etc. not just keeping them from having babies. People need to learn to be patient and work to a goal, not just expect everything now. You twach them that, they’ll be successful in life overall.

Ya know, if parents would just be parents, you wouldn’t need abstinence programs.

[quote]pat wrote:
Ya know, if parents would just be parents, you wouldn’t need abstinence programs.[/quote]

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,584936,00.html

Because some peoples parenting works so well. Really? an eleven year old giving birth??

Oh jeeze, this shit again. I vote anarchy and a side of teach your own fucking kids what you want.

No one taught me shit except my dad, he explained sex as something to enjoy but it should be respected just like women. No one person has the patent on how to raise their kid, so all this intellectual stuff sometimes get overboard. It is not like they even tell you how they do the class (on both sides of the argument), so I am supposed to just guess how they teach it.

[quote]lanchefan1 wrote:

[quote]pat wrote:
Ya know, if parents would just be parents, you wouldn’t need abstinence programs.[/quote]

Because some peoples parenting works so well. Really? an eleven year old giving birth??[/quote]

So we have to tell people what to do? Interesting.

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:

[quote]lanchefan1 wrote:

[quote]pat wrote:

Because some peoples parenting works so well. Really? an eleven year old giving birth??[/quote]

So we have to tell people what to do? Interesting.[/quote]

Never stated that, but when the parents fail to educate there is a problem. Especially with an 11 year old giving birth.

“The classes didn’t preach saving sex until marriage or disparage condom use. Instead, they involved assignments to help students around the age of 12 see the drawbacks to sexual activity at their age.”

How the hell is this an absintence-only program? Sounds like every responsible sex education in schools that denounce abstinence-only sex ed.

[quote]lanchefan1 wrote:

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:

[quote]lanchefan1 wrote:

[quote]pat wrote:

So we have to tell people what to do? Interesting.[/quote]

Never stated that, but when the parents fail to educate there is a problem. Especially with an 11 year old giving birth.[/quote]

Take away all the safety nets that kids like this will have and watch parents suddenly start doing their job.