Student Problems Got Me Stressed

Sorry have to vent. Had to deal with a student coming to me after a suicide attempt yesterday. Coaching high school girls athletics I’ve listened to, seen, and helped alot of them through things but it was like possibly/being pregnant, or catching vd that was the worst. This time it totally blew my mind. After they’ve put their trust in you, it’s like you have to make them understand why social services and such have to get involved. It’s like she expected me to make it better by myself. Now I have to feel like I’ve betrayed her trust.

Sorry guys, didn’t mean to whine. I know this happens, I just hated seeing what she had done to herself. It’s part of my job, I need to just deal with it.

Make sure you keep tabs on her, and if it gets to a point where you think she’s getting worse and that you cannot handle it anymore, please for both your sakes, notify professional help.

[quote]unforgiven2 wrote:
Sorry guys, didn’t mean to whine. I know this happens, I just hated seeing what she had done to herself. It’s part of my job, I need to just deal with it.[/quote]

No need to apologize. We’re here for rants and to lend an ear. Just because it’s your job doesn’t mean you don’t need some moral support from time to time.

Good luck,
DB

[quote]unforgiven2 wrote:
After they’ve put their trust in you, it’s like you have to make them understand why social services and such have to get involved. It’s like she expected me to make it better by myself. Now I have to feel like I’ve betrayed her trust. [/quote]

Yes, you’re put in an extremely tough spot. You could think about it this way: you’re at least a decent enough human being that someone is willing to confide in you that they attempted suicide.

How about you talk to her about getting social services involved? Explain to her why they should be involved, or why she should at least get some sort of help. This way, you wont just spring it on her and she’ll be approached by social services. This would make her feel as if you went behind her back and betrayed her, she wont be able to realize what you’re doing is helping her.

Bottom line is, she needs help from a professional.

Good luck, hopefully she’ll get help.

Well, we’ve (me and the counselor) got them agree to see a professional in the morning and the girl wasn’t upset that I had to turn it over.