Stud Du Jour

Frank Merrill: One of the forefathers of special operations and a legend in the community.

Merrill's Marauders - Wikipedia

“By the time the town of Myitkyina was taken, only about 200 surviving members of the original Marauders were present. A week after Myitkyina fell, on 10 August 1944, the 5307th was disbanded with a final total of 130 combat-effective officers and men (out of the original 2,997). Of the 2,750 to enter Burma, only two were left alive who had never been hospitalized with wounds or major illness.[37] None of the horses and only 41 mules survived.”[38]

A respectful salute to the warriors of WW11, you will never be equaled.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
Just finished this book about John Johnston, aka Liver-Eating Johnson (his last name is spelled both ways), and he has got to be one of The toughest sumbitches I’ve ever heard about in my life.

The 1970’s movie, “Jeremiah Johnson,” starring Robert Redford was based on his character but the real deal was oh so much more of a stallion than the pathetic role Redford portrayed.

His feats of physical and mental strength are especially noteworthy on a website like this one too. Some truly amazing accounts – no exaggeration.

Read this book if biographies of strong, rough, sturdy, violent, impressive, independent men are up your alley.

And unlike most mountain men he died of old age in of all places, Los Angeles.

[photo]41095[/photo][/quote]

Cool. Good timing, I have been casually looking for something to read aside from all my study material.

[quote]j-man1 wrote:
Rob Konrad…

[/quote]

That is literally “awesome”

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]mbdix wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:
Just finished this book about John Johnston, aka Liver-Eating Johnson (his last name is spelled both ways), and he has got to be one of The toughest sumbitches I’ve ever heard about in my life.

The 1970’s movie, “Jeremiah Johnson,” starring Robert Redford was based on his character but the real deal was oh so much more of a stallion than the pathetic role Redford portrayed.

His feats of physical and mental strength are especially noteworthy on a website like this one too. Some truly amazing accounts – no exaggeration.

Read this book if biographies of strong, rough, sturdy, violent, impressive, independent men are up your alley.

And unlike most mountain men he died of old age in of all places, Los Angeles.

[photo]41095[/photo][/quote]

Cool. Good timing, I have been casually looking for something to read aside from all my study material.[/quote]

Author said Johnston was 6’2", 250. Even when he made it to his mid-60’s he was said to be the strongest man around. Incredible fighting skills too. Probably experienced more hand to hand combat than anyone I’ve ever read about.

He was said to have killed over 300 Indians by ones, twos and threes, many of them with his bare hands. The Crows put a bounty on him and commissioned 20 extraordinary braves to hunt him down one by one and kill him. He killed every single one of them over the course of 10 years.

The “Jeremiah Johnson” movie was a mild, placid joke compared to the book.[/quote]

I don’t think I have ever heard of him. I don’t remember the movie either. Sounds like that is a good thing. Very cool. This will be my next book. Like I said, great timing

My former barber.

Lied about his age, enlisted in the Marines in 1943 at 17. Five beach landings in the Pacific theater.

Served with Chesty Puller (Who was another Stud Du Jour)

One of his proudest moments of WW2, was teaching his squad of former convicts to read and write.

He always had a story to tell.

His wife died of cancer a couple of years ago, and Gunny ended up moving to Texas to live by his daughter.

I hope he’s doing well.

Hugh Glass

In 1822 Hugh Glass signed on to go on a fur-hunting expedition into the northern Missouri River area. One day while he was out alone hunting for food, he was surprise attacked by a bigass angry grizzly bear. The bear knocked the rifle out of Glass’ hands, bodyslammed him Bill Goldberg-style and started clawing the shit out of him. Since he was a hardass Davy Crockett motherfucker though, Glass just started punching the thing back and hacking at it with his bigass mountain man combat knife. There was this huge battle, and when his friends finally got there to see what was going on, they found a half-conscious Glass pinned down underneath the body of a big dead bear.

But the badassitude of Hugh Glass doesn’t solely reside in his ability to take a grizzly bear in hand-to-hand combat. The battle had left Glass half-dead, with a broken leg and huge scratches all over his body. Basically, he was so fucked up that the commander of the mission left two guys behind and was like, “wait until he dies, bury him, and then catch up with us”. So these two guys threw a bearskin coat over Glass’ badly maimed body, dug him a grave and waited around for him to die.

A little while later though, some hostile Native American warriors showed up, so the two guys grabbed Glass’ equipment and bolted. Well it turned out that Glass wasn’t about to die after all. He regained consciousness to find that he had been left for dead with no food, weapon or equipment.

Hugh Glass re-set his broken leg, climbed out of his shallow grave, cleaned out his infected wounds, and headed out for the nearest trace of civilization. His trek would take him through hostile territory where he was at risk of being attacked by Indians and wild animals alike. With only his bear fur, Hugh Glass crawled, walked, limped and rafted 600 miles to Fort Kiowa on the Missouri River.

Not only that but once he’s recovered he hunts down the two guys who took his gear and left him for dead, kills one of them and lets the other one (Jim Bridger) go when he begs for his life and sincerely apologizes for ditching his comerade.

not my writing

Dan Daly

http://www.badassoftheweek.com/daly.html

[quote]Jork wrote:
Hugh Glass

In 1822 Hugh Glass signed on to go on a fur-hunting expedition into the northern Missouri River area. One day while he was out alone hunting for food, he was surprise attacked by a bigass angry grizzly bear. The bear knocked the rifle out of Glass’ hands, bodyslammed him Bill Goldberg-style and started clawing the shit out of him. Since he was a hardass Davy Crockett motherfucker though, Glass just started punching the thing back and hacking at it with his bigass mountain man combat knife. There was this huge battle, and when his friends finally got there to see what was going on, they found a half-conscious Glass pinned down underneath the body of a big dead bear.

But the badassitude of Hugh Glass doesn’t solely reside in his ability to take a grizzly bear in hand-to-hand combat. The battle had left Glass half-dead, with a broken leg and huge scratches all over his body. Basically, he was so fucked up that the commander of the mission left two guys behind and was like, “wait until he dies, bury him, and then catch up with us”. So these two guys threw a bearskin coat over Glass’ badly maimed body, dug him a grave and waited around for him to die.

A little while later though, some hostile Native American warriors showed up, so the two guys grabbed Glass’ equipment and bolted. Well it turned out that Glass wasn’t about to die after all. He regained consciousness to find that he had been left for dead with no food, weapon or equipment.

Hugh Glass re-set his broken leg, climbed out of his shallow grave, cleaned out his infected wounds, and headed out for the nearest trace of civilization. His trek would take him through hostile territory where he was at risk of being attacked by Indians and wild animals alike. With only his bear fur, Hugh Glass crawled, walked, limped and rafted 600 miles to Fort Kiowa on the Missouri River.

Not only that but once he’s recovered he hunts down the two guys who took his gear and left him for dead, kills one of them and lets the other one (Jim Bridger) go when he begs for his life and sincerely apologizes for ditching his comerade.

not my writing[/quote]

Saw this when I was young.

Movie based on Hugh’s story.

I nominate a relative of mine who I just found out about from a distant cousin.

His name was Buster Brown and he was one of the first 4 Green Berets ever in this country. He served 2 tours of duty in Korea, then he went to work for the CIA. Apparently, he actually landed in Cuba during the Bay of Pigs invasion and barely made it out alive. After this, he went to work as a CIA operative in Vietnam, where he was heavily involved in “executive actions” against the Viet Cong as part of Operation Phoenix.

I’m in the process of filing a Freedom of Information Act request about him, but from what I’ve heard about him he was a fucking badass. This motherfucker spent his time between tours of duty in Korea and prior to the Bay of Pigs living in a wood shed in the middle of rural Connecticut, without electricity or running water. To hear it from my cousin, the guy was the living embodiment of Martin Sheen in Apocalypse Now.

Thich Quang Duc.

Anyone who would immolate themselves while remaining perfectly still and silent gets my vote for being badass.

Leonid Rogozov.

Anyone who could give himself a fucking appendectomy, in Antarctica of all places, gets a vote from me.

While his feats certainly pale in comparison to some of the people listed thus far, I would also like to submit Pat Tillman.

I don’t think any description or explanation is necessary.

Thought this thread would be about SexMachine.

Logs off

This guy right here. I can and always will appreciate someone who is brave enough to stand for what they believe in when everyone else is scared