T Nation

Stuck w/ Chest Training

First of all…I never thought I would say this but thanks to BB Im now a new person.I feel comfterbole being me and only me.Not some wanna be…
Just wanted to get that outa the way!

Heres ym question thou. After doing much lifting I realized that I get good pumps for my chest when I do DB’s and when I stick to high reps. I was wondering if I should change it up and do like my first 2 sets heavy as in 6 reps max and thne push out 3 light 8-12?

I want my chest to grow grow grow but its getting complicated. What do you guys recomend? Im doing chest today and I think I wanna start with incline since I havent started with incline in a while. and my first set will be heacy. But then I also wanna start with flat bench to see if I can push out 85 pounds for 6 reps…

So what do you guys think is the best way to go? also

when is it time to stop? I can be in the gym doing so many exercises but when should I say “Ok enought”.

thanks alot guys ill take a pic today of before and after workout

if you are taking 45-70 seconds rest between sets it seems that a 45-60 minute workout (the entire time including rest periods) is common

it’s good to vary the rep range and the order of exercises. it’s perfectly fine to get a good warm up in and shoot for 4-6 heavy reps on your 1st exercise then shoot for 8-11 on your 2nd, 12-15 on your 3rd and maybe 16-20 on your last. i do that all the time but i do it from week to week. i start with a power week - everything 4-6 reps…then a rep range week - anywhere from 8-15+. then i do an intensity week - all drop sets & super sets. i use the P-RR-S system. it runs the whole gamut from week to week. here’s link about it. i love it:

www.ironmagazine.com/article65.html

You are benching 85lb? THAT is your problem. It doesn’t matter that much about exact sets, reps etc, you need to focus on progressively adding more weight. You will never have a big chest benching 85lb.

[quote]lifting monkey wrote:
First of all…I never thought I would say this but thanks to BB Im now a new person.I feel comfterbole being me and only me.Not some wanna be…
Just wanted to get that outa the way!

Heres ym question thou. After doing much lifting I realized that I get good pumps for my chest when I do DB’s and when I stick to high reps. I was wondering if I should change it up and do like my first 2 sets heavy as in 6 reps max and thne push out 3 light 8-12?

I want my chest to grow grow grow but its getting complicated. What do you guys recomend? Im doing chest today and I think I wanna start with incline since I havent started with incline in a while. and my first set will be heacy. But then I also wanna start with flat bench to see if I can push out 85 pounds for 6 reps…

So what do you guys think is the best way to go? also

when is it time to stop? I can be in the gym doing so many exercises but when should I say “Ok enought”.

thanks alot guys ill take a pic today of before and after workout[/quote]

I think if you’re training chest only on a day(which i think is a poor choice for a beginner(i’m not implying you are one btw), you should be normally done in 35-45 minutes.
And yes, starting chest with inclines is a wise choice. Dumbells for bench presses work better for some people, i’m one of them and i haven’t barbell benched for over 10 months now.
Btw, i started including incline db pressing in my chest excercises a week ago after a 6month period of working only oon flat bench and even though i’m on a cutting phase, my strength is going up.

If you’re stuck you should simply reevaluate what you’re doing step by step. Also keep in ming that increasing strength is the main way to get bigger. Therefore, you could drop high reps fcr a while(just an idea).

he;s clearly referring to 85 pound DBs. Not that that is anything worth writing home about, but I would expect someone handling 85-90 pound DBs to have some sort of upper body development.

[quote]Alquemist wrote:
You are benching 85lb? THAT is your problem. It doesn’t matter that much about exact sets, reps etc, you need to focus on progressively adding more weight. You will never have a big chest benching 85lb. [/quote]

Hey guys…Yes Im refering to Db…I know 80 on this forum is nothing but remember that just 5 months ago I was pushing out 50 for like 6. Now today I pushed 80 for 6. That is good enough for me!!(not really)…but Here is the problem. I decided to nothing but heavy weight in the begining. I started with 45 to warm up then did my set of 80.

And Idk if it was because I didnt have a good spotter to help me get the weight up and in position but I DID NOT GET A PUMP. Instead I just got pain in my shoulder for the rest of that workout…Thats my problem when I do reps lower than 8.

I dont get a pump I just get a serious shoulder workouts I guess. So what should I do? Im going to try it one more time next week with a good spotter to help me get the weight up but like I said, It just goes to ym shoulders and not my chest!.

so would it be wrong if I just stuck with 8-15 reps for even longer? thats when I feel it the most.Hell I feel it the most when im pushing 15 reps…

But I know my strenght is going up. I pushed 80 pounds for 6. that is going up in my book. Next time I do flat Im going to do my first set heavy (prob 80) and then drop down to like 70 so I can start cranking out double digits. I havent started with incline in a bit so Im not sure what my DB will be. But prob 65…whats your guys opinion?

Thanks again for all the help…I will try and post some pictures up tonight.

[quote]1morerep wrote:
it’s good to vary the rep range and the order of exercises. it’s perfectly fine to get a good warm up in and shoot for 4-6 heavy reps on your 1st exercise then shoot for 8-11 on your 2nd, 12-15 on your 3rd and maybe 16-20 on your last. i do that all the time but i do it from week to week. i start with a power week - everything 4-6 reps…then a rep range week - anywhere from 8-15+. then i do an intensity week - all drop sets & super sets. i use the P-RR-S system. it runs the whole gamut from week to week. here’s link about it. i love it:

www.ironmagazine.com/article65.html
[/quote]

Ima quote you and answer you like i did up above.Problem with me doing low reps is my chest doing get the pump.MY shoulders do.Idk if its cuz I need a spotter to help me out by just giving me that push for the first rep,but,low numbers for me dont do much cept hurt me in my workout =-(…And I read the link and still a bit confused.

THANKS AGAIN

um ok…i don’t know what you find so confusing but ok…good luck.

lol. Fresh from manhattan, paysano?

[quote]lifting monkey wrote:
1morerep wrote:
Ima quote you.
[/quote]

Oh lol sorry for the misunderstanding.