T Nation

Stuck, Need Advice

Hi ive recently gained 12 pounds in 3 months pretty sure its mostly muscle since strength has gone up a great deal but now in the last couple months i have been stuck at this weight and am training like crazy with proper form i always train for failure even up my calorie intake a bit but all that seems to do is make me feel fatter so the question is what do i do?

[quote]brakey911 wrote:
Hi ive recently gained 12 pounds in 3 months pretty sure its mostly muscle since strength has gone up a great deal but now in the last couple months i have been stuck at this weight and am training like crazy with proper form i always train for failure even up my calorie intake a bit but all that seems to do is make me feel fatter so the question is what do i do?[/quote]

More information required…
How old are you?
How long have you been training?
How tall are you?
How much do you weigh?
Squat?
Deadlift?
Bent Row?
O.H. Press?
Flat Press?

im just turning 19 will be my third year training, im 5ft 6 and 155 pounds

if your asking for 1rep max here:

squat-250
deadlift-320
bent row (dont max out)-135 for 8 reps
o.h press-155
flat press-225

Keep going. I don’t agree with training to failure every workout…maybe add a deload week? But, basically keep going. Gains are not linear. Sounds like you hit your beginner gains and now you are stalled a little. If you keep at it, in time, could be next week, next month, a couple of months, gains will start back up again. And so on, and so on. That’s how it goes. Oh and keep progressing in weight used and double check, triple check your calories to make sure you are getting enough.

And what program are you using?

thanks mbdix for the advise and i did try a deload last week on just legs to try it out and it did seem to help me for this week my legs day was today so i think ill try it on everything else next week.

and jgf i just do a routine i made up myself consists of:

monday-chest
tuesday-legs
wendsday-arms
thursday-rest
friday-back and biceps
saturday-chest and triceps

Eat more. Seriously.

My coach recently made me watch this:

thanks for the video man was really good and kind of funny haha, was actually gonna try aas a few months ago but decided against it cause im to young and really dont need it now so glad i made that decision. but ill prob up my protein, carbs and cals a little more to see if it helps

[quote]brakey911 wrote:
i always train for failure[/quote]
Try training for success.

Going everything to failure works for some people or for some people it works for some time. But you could instead try stopping a few reps short of failure but doing more sets thereby lowering your intensity whilst upping your volume. More volume for more gains.

What are you rep and set schemes currently like and what exercises do you use?

usually around 4-5 sets a workout around the 6-12 rep range
to much to list but involves alot of dropsets and supersets

I might try what you said to see how it works, i have heard some people say more time under tension works for them better so maybe

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]brakey911 wrote:
Try training for success.[/quote]

I like that.

Start doing sessions dedicated to specific rep ranges, if you use one rep range, you only train one group of muscle fibers, eat high protein, low fat and watch the carbs. Try cutting them a bit as excess your body cant use will not be stored as glycogen.

write down everything you eat all week in this thread. Every single meal. I don’t think you’ll do it, but maybe you’ll surprise me, but I doubt it.

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]brakey911 wrote:
Try training for success.

Going everything to failure works for some people or for some people it works for some time. But you could instead try stopping a few reps short of failure but doing more sets thereby lowering your intensity whilst upping your volume. More volume for more gains.

What are you rep and set schemes currently like and what exercises do you use?[/quote]

My thoughts exactly. Failure is a tool, and used too often it’ll wipe you out. Op said he’s using dropsets and supersets as well, so it sounds like you’re pushing too hard. I personally try and keep at least one rep in the tank (especially strength work) and hit failure sparingly, and things are going great. Op, sounds like you’re passionate about working out, but training harder isn’t always the answer. Try training smarter.

stevenf- if you are asking for supplements and all here goes.
also ill include time i go to gym. yesterday and today are pretty much same
10;00am-one scoop mutant mass, 3\4cup of eggwhites and a greek yogurt
12:00pm-apple and 8oz piece of chicken 5g creatine and a scoop of pre workout
12:30pm-hit the gym for a hour or little more
2:00pm-1 1\2 scoop mutant mass and 5g creatine
4:00pm- 8oz chicken breast baked potatoe
6:00pm 4 chicken strips
8:00pm 6oz piece of cod fish
10:00pm 1 scoop casein before bed

Ill keep posting each day rest of week

[quote]brakey911 wrote:

Ill keep posting each day rest of week[/quote]

Yeah man, that’s maybe 2,200 calories…MAYBE. I think I’m being generous with that.

I’m only 175 and skinny fat, putting on MAYBE 1 lb a week lifting 4/days per week and this is what i eat on the daily:

0630: 4ggs, 8 oz of meat, 1/2 cup carbs (rice, potatoes, oats, etc.), 1 handful of onions, 1 handful of peppers, 1 tbsp of olive oil, 1 cup of fruit, 1 glass of water, coffee throuhgout the morning

1000: 2 scoops protein, 2 cups unsweetened almond milk, 2 tbsp nut butter or handful of mixed nuts, 1 piece of fruit, 1 handful of veggies

1300: 8 oz of meat, 1/2-1 cup carbs (rice, oats, potatoes, etc), 2 handfuls of veggies, butters/olive oil if I have a lean meat

1600: 2 scoops protein, 2 cups unsweetened almond milk, 2 tbsp nut butter or handful of mixed nuts, 1 piece of fruit, 1 handful of veggies

Workout nutrition: 2 scoops BCAA, 5gs of creatine. I’ll be adding a calorie workout drink here in a month or 2.

1930: 8 oz of meat, 1/2-1 cup carbs (rice, oats, potatoes, etc), 2 handfuls of veggies, butters/olive oil if I have a lean meat

2200: 2 scoops protein, 2 cups unsweetened almond milk, 2 tbsp nut butter or handful of mixed nuts, 1 piece of fruit, 1 handful of veggies

[quote]brakey911 wrote:

Ill keep posting each day rest of week[/quote]

Seems like you should add more fat or carbs to get some extra calories in. Substituting a chicken meal for beef or adding in coconut oil with your chicken would be beneficial.

sounds like you are afraid to lose your precious abs.

believe me man i dont have abs…