T Nation

Stuck Lifter

Stuck describes my situation as an amateur of lifting.

Stats: 24 years old, 185 lbs, 6’3", training 3 years
max - BP (95 lb dumbbell), squat (225 lb), deadlift(385 lb)

Daily Diet:

breakfast (6 am) - 3 pieces lean chicken dipped in egg and Italian breadcrumbs, 1/4 lb whole wheat pasta, 10 pieces asparagus fried in olive oil (low heat)

lunch (12 pm) - 3 pieces lean chicken with bbq sauce

snack (2 pm) - natural peanut butter and 1 tbsp of jelly on whole wheat toast + 1.5 glasses of skim milk

dinner(6 pm) - 3 pieces lean chicken dipped in egg and Italian breadcrumbs, 1/4 lb whole wheat pasta, 10 pieces asparagus fried in olive oil (low heat)

shake (9 pm) - 1 glass skim milk, 3 spoons of natural peanut butter, 1/2 cup of no-fat cottage cheese, and ice

workout - 3x a week

day A squat/bench - 6/1/6/1/12/15

day B deadlift/overhead press 6/1/6/1/10/15

Please give me feedback on diet and workout. I feel like I’m not going hard enough in the gym. I’d prefer to lift with a partner, but don’t know where to find one.

So you work out three times a week and arent making gains. Did you really need to post on a forum to figure out you need to workout more? And certainly eat more.

Where is the fat in your diet? All the omega 6 from peanut butter isnt enough. A balance of dietary fat is important for many things lifting related. Add read meat, full fat dairy (or at least not skim all the time), and other fats like avocado and coconut oil.

No one ever got big on a diet of chicken and peanut butter in quantities that small. I dont recommend eating ONLY chicken cutlets, pasta, and peanut butter but if thats what you like you clearly need to eat a lot more of it.

Hi Bonez,

Please critique my workout.

Thanks,

Can someone teach me the secret of deadlifting? Maybe make a thread if it’s tough to explain. Because it seems like everyone starts off deadlifting 225, and has no problem pulling twice their bodyweight after a little bit of training. You’re 6’3, not that big, can’t squat more than 2 plates, but you can pull almost 400 pounds off the ground? I just don’t get it.

[quote]SpadeK wrote:
Hi Bonez,

Please critique my workout.

Thanks,
[/quote]

It sucks?

Youve been apart of this forum for 3 years. Please do a search. Ive posted plenty of routines in the beginners forum.

[quote]eeu743 wrote:
Can someone teach me the secret of deadlifting? Maybe make a thread if it’s tough to explain. Because it seems like everyone starts off deadlifting 225, and has no problem pulling twice their bodyweight after a little bit of training. You’re 6’3, not that big, can’t squat more than 2 plates, but you can pull almost 400 pounds off the ground? I just don’t get it.[/quote]

A lot of taller lifters have big deadlifts and tiny squats, it’s just a question of body proportions.

I like your honesty, BONEZ. Thanks

[quote]scj119 wrote:

[quote]eeu743 wrote:
Can someone teach me the secret of deadlifting? Maybe make a thread if it’s tough to explain. Because it seems like everyone starts off deadlifting 225, and has no problem pulling twice their bodyweight after a little bit of training. You’re 6’3, not that big, can’t squat more than 2 plates, but you can pull almost 400 pounds off the ground? I just don’t get it.[/quote]

A lot of taller lifters have big deadlifts and tiny squats, it’s just a question of body proportions.[/quote]

i’m similar in size to this guy-- 6’1, 190, have been training with some sort of structure for about 2 years, and have a similar deadlift max (385). my low bar squat has now approached it (recent max 325) but my front squat max is only 235. lonh arms and bigger hands really helps with the dl. i think taller guys deserve it though, while it might feel like some guys start off deadlifting 225 (and i think most people of my size should be able to as soon as they figure out decent form), it seems like stockier guys start off benching 185 with no problem.

[quote]scj119 wrote:

[quote]eeu743 wrote:

A lot of taller lifters have big deadlifts and tiny squats, it’s just a question of body proportions.[/quote]

Yup. I’m 6’1", deadlift 405, and squat 285 X 3. I love deadlift days, but hate squats lol

u eat breakfast at 6 then wait til 12 for your next meal??

didnt realise italian breadcrumbs had that much nutritional benefit either since you are eating them twice daily :wink: