Stuck Bench Press

Realizing my squats (see my other thread) are really picking up at a nice rate I’ve noticed my bench press isn’t moving forward at all.

After sustaining a severely pulled serratus(sp) just around 8 months ago I’ve been climbing back up in bench, slowly but surely I worked back up from 100lbs to doing 190lbs for 3 sets of 4.

I can’t get past 190lbs, when before the injury I was doing 3 sets of 5-6 with 205lbs.

I’m stuck in this hole and I can’t get out.

For chest I usually do…

Dumbbell Bench - 60lb dumbbells - 3-4 sets of 8

Incline bench - 165lbs - 3 sets of 8

Bench Press - 190lbs - 3 sets of 4

Any advice how to get the hell out of this… plateau?

Ditch the dumbbells and the inclines totally. Do bench press twice a week with a scheme like this: 6x6x70%, 6x5x75%. 5x5x80%, 5x4x85%. 4x3x90% etc. Make sure to have perfect form, controlled negative and all that stuff. Work out your back and triceps hard.

Do it first

That was a really quick and helpful response!

I won’t be worn out by the time I get to 90%? I’ve always just been a one weight kind of guy so forgive the ridiculous question!

[quote]BodyByGame20 wrote:
That was a really quick and helpful response!

I won’t be worn out by the time I get to 90%? I’ve always just been a one weight kind of guy so forgive the ridiculous question![/quote]

No. Reducing the volume and upping the intensity actually does the opposite, it’s an old classic trick for gaining strength…

I really appreciate the advice!
I’ll add an extra chest day and I’ll see where I can get with this.

I think of plateus as myths, just eat more and bump up the weight if you need a spotter don’t be scared to ask someone in your gym to spot you bump up the weight and grab a spotter…