T Nation

Stubborn Knee Injury - Treatment?

Hey guys. I wrenched my knee while being illegally tripped during a Muay Thai match late February. The knee popped sideways and swelled to the size of a tennis ball; though I could put weight on it. Anyways the physio doc said I needed to RICE and stop training until it healed as the ligaments were only bruised/swollen.

I’ve been following the treatment religiously and only been doing light upper body weight training twice a week. No leg work at all.

Its still a tad swollen and I’m getting antsy to get back to it. I don’t understand whats wrong: I’ve been to two sport physio guys and both say nothing torn or damaged.

Does anyone have any tips beside RICE and mobility exercises? Its more annoying then anything but I don’t want to cause any long term damage.

Thanks dudes.

I recently had a torn meniscus in my knee and got it checked out by a sports medicine doctor. Before i went to see the sports medicine doc i saw a regular physician and he told me i had a torn ACL haha. So regular doctors are not always reliable because they don’t know the tests to prove exactly what is going on with your knee.

If your doctors keep telling you that there’s nothing wrong with your knee ask if you can have an MRI done or something similar.

Also i’m no expert on this but my knee would swell every time i tried to be active on it before i got my surgery, the area was also tender on the outside of my knee.

Do you think it’s still hurt or do you feel any progress with the RICE method?

[quote]jahall wrote:
I recently had a torn meniscus in my knee and got it checked out by a sports medicine doctor. Before i went to see the sports medicine doc i saw a regular physician and he told me i had a torn ACL haha. So regular doctors are not always reliable because they don’t know the tests to prove exactly what is going on with your knee.

If your doctors keep telling you that there’s nothing wrong with your knee ask if you can have an MRI done or something similar.

Also i’m no expert on this but my knee would swell every time i tried to be active on it before i got my surgery, the area was also tender on the outside of my knee.

Do you think it’s still hurt or do you feel any progress with the RICE method?[/quote]

There is progress with RICE and the pain is subsided considerably. Still a bit swollen and has stayed that way for the last few weeks; i tried body weight squats and felt stiffness but no pain.

Did you try body weight squats before or after it started swelling again?

To be honest this kind of seems like something that just needs time to heal, and your stubborn and won’t stay off it. If you’ve been to two sports med docs and they say the same then just chill for a few weeks and play some damn video games or something.

I went to the ortho doc a couple of weeks ago for knee pain. The doc said that based on the xrays I had arthritis in my knee. I insisted on an MRI. The MRI revealed a torn meniscus. I am having surgery to get it fixed. If you have decent insurance, I would insist on an MRI.

Had my knee scoped about 5 months ago, I went to two guys before both said it was just a tonr meniscus, even had an MRI done, but most of this occured over a year before the surgery.

But long story short was told just a simple scope clean up the meniscus, turned into a removal of both meniscus, replacement of a completley torn MCL(contrary to what is commonly done because this doctor has done 4 knees for guys I train with) and had to drill into the bone to try to draw blood into the bone because there was a quarter size hole in the bone where the meniscus was torn.

best advice sit on your ass for at least a week taking 800mg of ibuprofen every 4-6 hrs for that week. if the swelling doesn’t go down, see if you can get it drained. But that should do. Going back to working out start with a bike, no running. at least until you get a handle on the real capabilities of your knee.

also side note, pentosan eq inj. , cosaminDS and hyaluranic acid can do wonders even with the cartilige removed.