T Nation

Stubborn Biceps

Hey guys I need some advice. I have trouble getting my biceps to grow. I’ve been training consistently for about 3 years now and have made major improvement. One factor that hasn’t change much is the size of my arm. I began training by using a lot of compound movements and sticked to a high intensity/low volume regimen. It wasn’t until about 45weeks ago when I began seriously bulking.

I have gained about 8~10lb so far yet and I have seen significant improvement everywhere except my bicep. My friends love to bash on how my bicep doesnt grow =[

I’ve tried various form of training: dropsets, supersets, CT’s Arm specialization, and etc. I choose my exercises wisely as well: barbell curls, preacher curls, chin-ups w/ weights, etc, and i performed them with strict form. My arms did grow, but it’s my tricep grew (i am EXTREMELY happy with my tricep development btw =]) But a tiny bicep with little to no peak makes my arm look rather pathetic.

I know it’s not my nutrition because I am indeed growing and packing mass on. I really don’t know what I can do anymore so I’m asking if anyone have some insight here. Thanks!

Keeping on trucking is the main point. It will happen with time.

I’ve always like to do arms straight after my back as they’ve already been hit partially. Something like 2 or 3 supersets of EZ-curls with some random pauses followed by alternating DB curls. And then for the last set, I’ll jump on a cable machine and do a triple drop set, really controlling the eccentric. This makes my arms feel like blimps afterwards. If you don’t feel tingly and have trouble picking up your towel afterwards, then you didn’t use enough intensity.

But this is just one technique out of thousands. As long as your eating enough, working the compound movements and concentrating on this one area with isolation work, increasing reps or weight every session, then they will grow. You just need to put the time in.

[quote]Doh wrote:
I’ve been training consistently for a bout 3 years now…It wasn’t until about 45weeks ago when I began seriously bulking.

I have gained about 8~10lb so far yet and I have seen significant improvement everywhere except my bicep.
[/quote]

So you say that in almost a year(45 weeks) you’ve only gained 8-10lbs?!! For a year and someone who is bulking that is a very small amount. Whatever you are eating it isn’t enough.

How much do you eat? What are your age, weigh & height?

[quote]Doh wrote:
I know it’s not my nutrition because I am indeed growing and packing mass on.[/quote]

Nope, it probably IS your nutrition. 10lbs per year is not growing much.

[quote]Sxio wrote:
Keeping on trucking is the main point. It will happen with time.[/quote]

Just like that huh? Without knowing his stats or his diet you’re telling him to try more of the same? After he had only gained 10lbs in a year? Come on.

[quote]Majin wrote:
Sxio wrote:
Keeping on trucking is the main point. It will happen with time.

Just like that huh? Without knowing his stats or his diet you’re telling him to try more of the same? After he had only gained 10lbs in a year? Come on.
[/quote]

I’m 19 yrs old. My height is around 5’9

What i forgot to mention:

Though I may have lifting for a long time, i didn’t really think about getting bigger till a couple weeks ago. My weight stayred relatively the same 155-160ish throughout my lifting time until 5 weeks ago when i decided that to get bigger, i really need to eat A LOT. And since then, its been great because I’ve been gaining.

A rule of thumb from Poliquin goes that if you put 15lbs of lean muscle mass onto your frame you will gain 1" on your arm measurment. Now obvioulsy these things are subjective so take that with a pinch of salt, however it should give you some kind of baseline for checking your actual progress against what you think your progress is.

Personally I found a combination of max effort pull-up’s (bodyweight only) with differnt grip combinations and also low rep narrow grip chins (with high weight added typically 25% body weight for 5 sets of 5 reps) to help for bicep improvement.

Also I would combine the above with a 1 set max constant tension curls after every gym session.

Good luck with your goals don’t be scared to eat.

[quote]Doh wrote:
Majin wrote:
Sxio wrote:
Keeping on trucking is the main point. It will happen with time.

Just like that huh? Without knowing his stats or his diet you’re telling him to try more of the same? After he had only gained 10lbs in a year? Come on.

I’m 19 yrs old. My height is around 5’9

What i forgot to mention:

Though I may have lifting for a long time, i didn’t really think about getting bigger till a couple weeks ago. My weight stayred relatively the same 155-160ish throughout my lifting time until 5 weeks ago when i decided that to get bigger, i really need to eat A LOT. And since then, its been great because I’ve been gaining. [/quote]

you should be gaining 8-10lbs any way while your growing.

Weak as bulk man, problem solved.

[quote]Majin wrote:
Sxio wrote:
Keeping on trucking is the main point. It will happen with time.

Just like that huh? Without knowing his stats or his diet you’re telling him to try more of the same? After he had only gained 10lbs in a year? Come on.
[/quote]

Absolutely. If he’s getting stronger, he will get bigger. It will take much longer without the requisite calories obviously, but that is not for me to worry about. He know he needs to train and eat and if he ‘keeps on trucking’ then he will find what works for him in time.

i would defenitley eat more you’ll see better results from your hard work. actually, i had a similar problem while i could not bulk because i was away at college and the food is horrendus i have a hard time maintaining my strength and size. but i did have good results without bulking with this workout.

cheat curls 4x10
incline curls 3x10
concentration curls 3x10

without bulking, after just about two months i put some considerable size on my arms. just something to think about.