T Nation

Stubborn Arms

I have about 13" arms and I want bigger ones.

I have tried the bigger arms challenge ( http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1040772 )
and I have waited two weeks before posting this. It didn’t really add much to my arms, where as my training partner’s arms got noticeably bigger. (i am very bitter about that)

I have tried isolation stuff, isometric stuff followed by isolation, isometric no isolation, no isolation whatsoever. My damn arms wont grow. I sort of figured I had plateaued as my triceps were growing well up until a month ago. Shouldn’t the bigger arms challenge have pushed me through this plateau?

I think i have decent triceps, small biceps.

I just want to see some progress.

Oh and I eat a shitload 3000cal+. I supplement with BCAAs, fish oil, Metabolic Drive protein, and Surge.

I am 5’8" 166lb (and slowly raising that weight).

thanks

BE Consistent, its only been 2 weeks.

3000 calories must not be enough

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1323999&pageNo=0#1323999

You gained 6lbs in 11 months.

[/thread]

[quote]bigdude wrote:
I have about 13" arms and I want bigger ones.

I think i have decent triceps, small biceps.

I just want to see some progress.

Oh and I eat a shitload 3000cal+. I supplement with BCAAs, fish oil, Metabolic Drive protein, and Surge.

I am 5’8" 166lb (and slowly raising that weight).

thanks
[/quote]

At 5’8 166lb you are not eating a shitload and you don’t have decent triceps. You don’t have much muscle on you at all. 13" arms usually belong to people who never trained!

Now until you start actually eating a real legitimate shitload and gain some weight, your lagging bodyparts are NON-ISSUES. Get to at least 180 then you can add more bicep work in the week.

[quote]n3wb wrote:

[/quote]

Oh, so it’s a recidivist dumbass.

[quote]n3wb wrote:

[/thread][/quote]

I think I was more like 150-155 then. The scale was off.

I didn’t get serious until 3 months after that. And didnt get really serious until 3 months after getting serious.

So i look at it more like 10-12lbs in 3months. Which is still very slow, but better than 6 in 11months.

[quote]Majin wrote:

At 5’8 166lb you are not eating a shitload and you don’t have decent triceps. You don’t have much muscle on you at all. 13" arms usually belong to people who never trained!

Now until you start actually eating a real legitimate shitload and gain some weight, your lagging bodyparts are NON-ISSUES. Get to at least 180 then you can add more bicep work in the week. [/quote]

I am having trouble getting 3000+cals and am going to go broke soon. How much should I eat? Everyone here tells me to eat, but i need a goal. I stuff myself at least every 2hrs.

I got Charles Poliquin’s “Winning the Arms Race” and did his 6 month program with good results. Also doing recovery sets 2 or 3 days after working the muscle has helped me especially with my stubborn biceps. You just do easy lite sets (I like cable exercises) to get some blood in there. Craig Titus put another inch on his arms doing these and that was after years of lifting.

Oh yea, just to hammer in the point- get more cals!!! MRD’s and a higher fat diet can help. If your patient consistent, and you find what works, you’ll get some size on those mighty meat-hooks.

[quote]bigdude wrote:
Majin wrote:

Now until you start actually eating a real legitimate shitload and gain some weight, your lagging bodyparts are NON-ISSUES. Get to at least 180 then you can add more bicep work in the week.

I am having trouble getting 3000+cals and am going to go broke soon. How much should I eat? Everyone here tells me to eat, but i need a goal. I stuff myself at least every 2hrs.
[/quote]

Damn it, the “goal” is to GAIN WEIGHT. If you aren’t GAINING WEIGHT you aren’t eating enough. How many different ways does that really need to be written? If you can’t afford to eat more, then don’t expect much more progress. It is pretty much that simple.

Eat whole eggs, put canola oil in your MRD’s, pour olive oil on everything, these are cheap and packed full of cals. don’t be afraid of fat. If you run outa money hunt and eat cats and other critters also you can find food in dumpsters

[quote]bigdude wrote:
Majin wrote:

[/quote]

[quote]Professor X wrote:

Damn it, the “goal” is to GAIN WEIGHT. If you aren’t GAINING WEIGHT you aren’t eating enough. How many different ways does that really need to be written? If you can’t afford to eat more, then don’t expect much more progress. It is pretty much that simple.[/quote]

understood.

how about this for a goal question. How much weight should I be gaining weekly - as much as possible? Is that healthy?

[quote]Hagar wrote:
Eat whole eggs, put canola oil in your MRD’s, pour olive oil on everything, these are cheap and packed full of cals. don’t be afraid of fat.

[/quote]

Thanks for the tips.
I am almost afraid to ask but what are MRD’s? Surge has been mentioned as an example but what does it stand for?

It depends on the individual thats where experience comes in.

[quote]bigdude wrote:
Professor X wrote:

Damn it, the “goal” is to GAIN WEIGHT. If you aren’t GAINING WEIGHT you aren’t eating enough. How many different ways does that really need to be written? If you can’t afford to eat more, then don’t expect much more progress. It is pretty much that simple.

understood.

how about this for a goal question. How much weight should I be gaining weekly - as much as possible? Is that healthy?
[/quote]

MRD’s Meal Replacement Drinks

[quote]bigdude wrote:
Professor X wrote:

understood.

[/quote]

General advice for completely clueless newbies is about 3-5lbs a month. Hopefully, once people pass that stage, they don’t think in such small boxes that they can’t understand gaining more or less than that as needed or as is indicated by the progress they are actually making. I have known (and personally experienced) people who have gained 20lbs in their first 2 months lifting seriously. That is why no one can put some constant unchanging limit on how much every single person on the planet should be gaining or how much muscle can be built in a certain time period.

How old are you? and what are you doing outside of the gym? If you ran track I’m assuming you burn calories pretty quick, and it will take a while for you to gain “healthy” weight.

First and foremost, Milk, Eggs, Crackers, Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches and tuna are very cheap foods that are known to pack on muscle. You can easily match your weight in protein alone from 5 cans of tuna and 4 cups of milk. That is just for protein purposes, track people tend to have fast metabalism so peanut butter and jelly sandwiches will add some calories from carbs for you. Thats all about 35-50 dollars a week. If you eat anything else it will just be a plus.

The arm challenge looks pretty aerobic for a person like you. You may want to switch to weighted chins for reps, and heavier ez-curl.

Last but not least, relative to other muscles in the body biceps are pretty small. They are going to take a while to grow, specially if your not packing muscle on the rest of your body. Try adding some deadlifts. Heavy

As a general rule, expect to gain around 15 lbs for an extra inch on your arms. If you want 16 inch arms, you need to gain (roughly) 45 lbs.

I am 21. I ran track for 4 years in high school, 2 years in college and through pre-season this last fall(3rd year). I do have a fast metabolism. Outside the gym I go to school (hence i fall under the category of a poor college student). I mess around playing ball with some friends and stuff but no regular intense exercise outside the gym. (is that what you were asking?)

Whats a good set/rep range for weighted chins?
here is the bicep workout i did on monday:

3x8 Chin-ups with legs out straight
3x30sec negative chins w/ 25, 35, 45 lbs
(3min rest between negatives)
3x8 barbell curls

I am working on my deadlift. I got up to 315 for 2 reps the other day. I know its not great but I was pretty psyched.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
How old are you? and what are you doing outside of the gym? If you ran track I’m assuming you burn calories pretty quick, and it will take a while for you to gain “healthy” weight.

First and foremost, Milk, Eggs, Crackers, Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches and tuna are very cheap foods that are known to pack on muscle. You can easily match your weight in protein alone from 5 cans of tuna and 4 cups of milk. That is just for protein purposes, track people tend to have fast metabalism so peanut butter and jelly sandwiches will add some calories from carbs for you. Thats all about 35-50 dollars a week. If you eat anything else it will just be a plus.

The arm challenge looks pretty aerobic for a person like you. You may want to switch to weighted chins for reps, and heavier ez-curl.

Last but not least, relative to other muscles in the body biceps are pretty small. They are going to take a while to grow, specially if your not packing muscle on the rest of your body. Try adding some deadlifts. Heavy[/quote]

[quote]bigdude wrote:
Professor X wrote:

understood.

[/quote]

If you can’t gain enough weight to transcend complaining about it, why are you worried about how much weight gain is healthy?