Struggling with Poor Genetics for Years, Very Little Hope Left

You seem like a guy who talks alot but trains like a pussy.

Something missing?

I think you are simply just going through the motion in the gym.

Having seen what I look like do you think that these advice are still appliable to me? I am starting the diet and the workout, not going to cheat for a month to see what is going on. Going to be completely strict about it. I am not seeing much change to what i have been doing so far regarding my nutrition
I do legs usually on the third day. Because they already are unfunctionally massive in comparison to my corpse for me, i do them with cardio/hiit.
I can deffinetly put even more effort into my workouts. I am getting to 3/4 great worouts out of 5 per week. Sometimes my brain does not function well enough.

At the risk of coming across as a dick: what does unfunctionally massive mean, and how are your legs that? To me they look a little small for your upper body, and that isn’t huge to start with. It’s OK, don’t get me wrong. You’ve got a decent base to build from for sure. But your legs? I’d say they need a bunch of work, and we haven’t even see the back side of your body.

You’ve been given some really great advice. Given that you’ve been doing things wrong for a while AND had to deal with an eating disorder you could look a lot worse, so you almost definitely don’t have poor genetics. You’ve just reached the point where you need to work intelligently, which will quite probably involve unlearning quite a few bad habits and ideas and replacing them with better ones.

1 Like

Real talk. You’re average. Welcome to the club. Not only do you need to start training using a tried and true methodology, but you need to do it for longer than 1 whole month if you want to see real long term results. That’s not me trying to be a dick that’s me empathizing with you because I understand. I’ve not only been there, I am there.

Nothing is more important to long-term success than consistency.
Nothing.

Also, nothing on your body is massive. Honestly, you might want to talk to a professional about your body issues.

@anon50325502 higly appriciated comment. You are saying exactly what I am complaining about. I am average. I have quit to believe that being average in any aspect of ones qualities is surpassable with a lot of work. I think that it is possible to mask the core essense that one has with tremendous efforts, but what you are by nature will always be the center of your gravity. Like that not only does it need a lot more effort to achieve something if it is in contradiction with your qualities, but it is disgustingly easier to return to initial state.
@MarkKO I have an ideal of my body in my head that does not correspond to what I am now. Just prefer them less of a volume and a bit more of a shred which is quite the oposite to me for my current state. I know it takes work to get there so I dont let my legs take breaks a lot.
I am struggling with existential problems in my head and I am still refusing to accept a lot of stuff, because accepting equals compromise to me. I am willing to have my fair share of risk taking because I cannot picture myself having to deal with a lot of these earthly mechanisms for too long. Not being dramatic. Not being depressed. Being honest and calm. I rereading what you are saying to let it sink in.

I think you’re misunderstanding unless I’m misunderstanding you. English is not your first language, is it?

Average is average because it’s easy and everyone can do it. The question is, do you want to stay average or do you want to be more?

If you want to be above average you have to work hard, period. That goes for anything. You want to have an above average career then you have to work harder than the average worker. You want to have an above average marriage then you need to work harder at your marriage than the average couple does.

Being average is a choice.

Successful people, in general, out work those that are average. That’s it. There’s no magic pill. The basis for success is the application of effort.

3 Likes

This is called ego. It is the enemy of progress.

Get your hands on a copy of “Ego is the Enemy” By Ryan Holiday if you can. It has very quickly become one of my favorite books.

https://smile.amazon.com/Ego-Enemy-Ryan-Holiday/dp/1591847818/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1472127858&sr=1-1&keywords=ego+is+the+enemy

2 Likes

Honestly, that’s the problem (if you’re going to call it a problem). If you can’t accept what it is you need to do, you won’t do it. That means you won’t get the results you want. That in turn means you’ll have a kind of proof that you were right not to accept that stuff in the first place.

In short: you think you’re not getting the body you want because of your genetics; this is because after eight years of training you aren’t where you want to be. So, your logic dictates that due to your genetics, no matter what you do, you won’t get the body you want.

What is in fact the case is that for the past eight years you trained and ate in various different ways, all of which were sufficiently wrong to prevent you from achieving the physique you desire.

I understand that it’s a hell of a thing to accept that after eight years your lack of success is almost entirely due to you having - to put it bluntly - fucked up. I’d want to blame something other than myself too.

The problem is that blaming something else won’t do you a damn bit of good. What it will do is perpetuate your inability to achieve what, with well directed and consistent work, is well within your grasp.

Accept that you fucked up. We all do it at some point. I sure as hell did. Move on.

It’s obvious you have what it takes to simply work. Good. Cut the crap, pick a decent program and nutritional that fits your goals and work your arse off for a couple of years. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised by the results.

You may want to invest in employing someone to slap you every time you mention your poor genetics until you get out of the habit, but that’s up to you.

Or keep blaming your genetics and sit there not accepting stuff. It’s your call.

4 Likes

I am honestly extremely confused now because after your pictures, i would even describe you as slightly above average than a regular joe shmoe walking around outside of the gym.

You look like a gym goer who goes to the gym frequently but doesnt work the hardest or eat the best, but you painted this pictures of a tiny flabby skinny fat string bean, or at least that is the vision i got from your writing. Dude you honestly look fine. How you can’t see that you are essentially a few months of clean dieting and hard workouts away from your goals, i can’t really grab a handle on.

Which makes me think your body image issues are psychologically. much deeper than you even think they are. You might need to seek help from someone outside of an internet forum, someone who is a professional and who can correctly assist you in this problem.

5 Likes

Thank you so much guys. I have spent a lot on shrinks never to have reached such tough conclusions. Here in Bulgaria is really hard to find good professionals in any area. And given the financial habitat here it could get quite hard for a student to afford a gym, nutrition, coach, shrink and a few other self-centered procedures. I am relying on you and so far you are turning out better than most of the above in the recent times. Very appriciated.

Ok well, if you say its helping, here is some more thoughts:

first off, you’ve most likely destroyed your metabolism. Like absolutely wrecked it. You’ve ruined bodies ability to use food up quickly and efficiently for energy, and then turn to fat. Instead, it grabs hold of what ever minimal amount of nutrients you put in it, and that is most like why you are having so much trouble losing body fat. Good news, you can fix it. Bad news, its going to take a little while and you’re not going to like how. You need to slowly start increasing your clean calories every week or two weeks until your body can handle them. That way when you start to take them out, your body uses fat for energy and doesn’t store it.

Oh and lift your legs man, that shit is weak, and whatever “look” you have in your mind, its going to look horrible without build legs (which you don’t have contrary to your weird belief you do.)

I’m not going to comment on “metabolic damage”, just this. He is not on any extreme diet, labs are in range and the body adapts constantly. There is no reason to believe he has any condition impairing his metabolism.

3 Likes

I’m going off his own admission that he frequently crash diets to the extreme and has had a diagnosed eating disorder for a span of time.

You are right that may have been corrected by now, but if he has not stopped living in that fashion, i don’t think it’s completely out of line to suggest balancing out his calorie intake and the possibility of metabolism issues.

Just a friendly retort.

1 Like

Yeah I agree with this.

I should have clarified this better. Bolimia is in the past.it has been 5 years since its been on my agenda.
I am not planning on going to any food disorders anytime in the future unless I think of a way to use it as a way to give a more poetic allure to my suicide. I am so annoyed that Kafka already did some work on the topic. I could have died glad bearing a starved out body. Looks like the best meaningless martyrdom.

I’m no expert on it, but I do know that Bulimia is absolutely as much a psychological issue as it is physical. You’ve conquered the physical part, but I believe the thought process underneath is still there, unfortunately. Your self-image is not in line with reality, and you have an extremely negative view of your current physique.

Like the other guys said, based on what you wrote earlier, I expected you to look like some completely out of shape fat kid. Instead, you look exactly like a 22-year old who worked with weights on and off for a while.

Stick to the training and nutrition suggested and you should be able to see some progress in a month or two. Or, rather, you should be able to achieve some progress in a month or two. I’m not certain you will see it, but it should be there. Take progress pics once every two weeks (not every week since the changes will be more noticeable with the longer time frame) and compare them for reinforcement.

1 Like

Just read this from start to finish. A few things to note:

1. Your legs are not massive. It’s actually very apparent that you don’t work hard on them. Something you can easily fix by changing your priorities.

2. Your diet needs to get better. You’ve been linked to some very good resources. I really think developing much smarter eating habits will benefit you a great deal going forward.

3. I don’t think you look like you have bad genetics. I think you’re actually in a great place to start a body recomposition, it’s just going to take hard work over a long period of time. I would say, though, that if you truly dedicate yourself to a solid plan, you will not look like the same person in a year.

4. Don’t use steroids. Your hormone levels are actually really good right now. You don’t want to mess with that. You’re in a prime position as far as that is concerned.

5. You haven’t been very specific about your work in the gym, but I bet it’s much worse than you think it is. Working hard and working smart are not the same thing. Continue to read on this site. Focus on the big movements: squat, deadlift, bench press, overhead press, rows and pullups. These movements are ideal for making massive changes in your appearance. Everything else is secondary, and should be treated as such.

6. Cheer up kiddo. You’re 22 years old. VERY VERY YOUNG. By the time you’re my age (and a lot sooner than that to be honest) you could look incredible, but it has to become a lifestyle. Consistency and intensity are the 2 most important principles to adhere to.

8 Likes

Regarding my workout:
For more than an year I invested some money to have a coach by my side. I would not have done so unless I have noticed that he actually is being quite consederate about his clients. He thinks. I try to avoid the genetically blessed ones because I believe they do not know what it is like to swim against the flow. He is a passionate ex-fit 45 year old guy, now a rather strong and fat one. He taught me a lot and I believe my technique is quite well. I learned how to adjust better the surrounding environment at the gym so that I feel best each exercise. A few months ago I burned out and was a little depressed and started just enjoying gym. I added more variety to it. Used different exercises every now and then. Sometimes I aimed at going lower weight and more reps, less breaks- but even then I always had at least a single tough exercise to remind my muscles that they ought not flatten out. I started swimming, rope jumping, doing crossfit, prolonguing my runs in addition to my regular work outs. It was just for pleasure. Instead of the treadmill. I will do some googling on the names of exercises and in the next days I will post an examplatory workout.