T Nation

Struggling to Eat in the Morning

Forced down a scoop of whey then have a proper breakfast 60-90min after waking.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
?? I find that if I skip breakfast, I don’t get the calories I need because it gets harder through out the day.

Why would EVERYONE need to skip breakfast and why do some of you think that because you can, EVERYONE ELSE can?

Further…do all of you think you are gaining at the fastest rate possible?[/quote]

See my later post. I don’t like making blanket statements about what everyone should do, apart from the very basic statement of ‘everyone should train hard and eat enough calories to grow.’ You mentioned what worked for you in college, I mentioned what works for me.

I may not be GAINING WEIGHT at the fastest rate possible, but I do think that what I’m doing is helping me to attain the look/performance I’m going for at the fastest rate possible. I’ve given a variety of eating methods an honest try in recent history (including the one you advocate for max gains), and I’ve not seen an appreciable increase in the speed at which muscle gains come.

I’m putting on something like 0-2 pounds of muscle a month these days, and while eating a ton of whatever kind of calories I can get down all day long did help me put on 12ish pounds in the month when I tried that (as opposed to the ~1 pound net BW gain I’m seeing with what I’m currently doing), almost all of that was water and a little bit of fat. For me, it just comes down to the fact that I can walk around holding so much water bloat that it is noticeably uncomfortable, or I can feel better day-to-day and look ok naked.

I know that I’m not realistically going to put on 15-20lbs of quality muscle this year. I’m not new enough to training for that. I’m shooting for a good amount of performance/aesthetic gain and 5, MAYBE 10lbs of muscle gain this year. I’m obviously trying to refine my training and eating on a daily basis, and I will definitely push the envelope on both training and eating as long as I see the results. I’m not trying to sell myself short, but at the same time I do know enough about how my body responds to things to understand that I’m not capable of making the jump from intermediate to fucking diesel in a matter of months.

Edited for grammar/accuracy lol

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]ryanbCXG wrote:
Huh i dont eat breakfast. Barely eat lunch. (only 300-400cals) before my 4pm workout. And i get in 4000+ cals in a day. Dont think you need breakfast (as long as you have a good appetite, which i am beginning to think many Tnationers do not have large appetites as these threads keep popping up)[/quote]

Good for YOU. I said it would have fucked up MY progress. I was a skinny kid with a fast metabolism. Wow…I just wrote some of you act as if everyone is like you and now this?

Holy crap.[/quote]

Um actually if you read a bit better maybe you would see in my post that i acknowledge that not everyone is like me. I say that it only works if you have a large appetite and go on to say that obviously not many have a large enough appetite.

Wait why did i just retype exactly what i wrote you can still read my first post cant you?

[quote]Chrispy61 wrote:
Anyone else struggle to eat first thing in the morning after waking?
[/quote]

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Further…do all of you think you are gaining at the fastest rate possible?[/quote]
The OP didn’t even mention his goals.

How the hell did this turn into a best way to gain muscle thread?

[quote]JLone wrote:

[quote]Chrispy61 wrote:
Anyone else struggle to eat first thing in the morning after waking?
[/quote]

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Further…do all of you think you are gaining at the fastest rate possible?[/quote]
The OP didn’t even mention his goals.

How the hell did this turn into a best way to gain muscle thread?[/quote]

I think that it was presumed based on the fat that OP was even worried about skipping breakfast. It definitely wouldn’t matter if OP was shooting for fat loss. It is relevant to strength/performance improvement, but I think the focus on eating enough points MORE SIGNIFICANTLY to a goal of muscle gain.

Or something like that anyway.

[quote]bigmac73nh wrote:
I think that it was presumed based on the fat that OP was even worried about skipping breakfast. It definitely wouldn’t matter if OP was shooting for fat loss. It is relevant to strength/performance improvement, but I think the focus on eating enough points MORE SIGNIFICANTLY to a goal of muscle gain.

Or something like that anyway.[/quote]
That is reasonable to assume based on your knowledge base but not everyone shares that.

A lot of people still believe in the 5 to 6 small meals for dieting myth. Who’s to say the OP isn’t one of those people?

[quote]JLone wrote:

[quote]Chrispy61 wrote:
Anyone else struggle to eat first thing in the morning after waking?
[/quote]

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Further…do all of you think you are gaining at the fastest rate possible?[/quote]
The OP didn’t even mention his goals.

How the hell did this turn into a best way to gain muscle thread?[/quote]

How about the moment everyone started jumping in claiming they don’t eat breakfast?

Wouldn’t that also depend on the goals?

You mean we need to now assume the goal is to avoid bodybuilding on this forum?

[quote]JLone wrote:

[quote]bigmac73nh wrote:
I think that it was presumed based on the fat that OP was even worried about skipping breakfast. It definitely wouldn’t matter if OP was shooting for fat loss. It is relevant to strength/performance improvement, but I think the focus on eating enough points MORE SIGNIFICANTLY to a goal of muscle gain.

Or something like that anyway.[/quote]
That is reasonable to assume based on your knowledge base but not everyone shares that.

A lot of people still believe in the 5 to 6 small meals for dieting myth. Who’s to say the OP isn’t one of those people?[/quote]

Fair enough.

OP- GOALS???

[quote]Professor X wrote:
How about the moment everyone started jumping in claiming they don’t eat breakfast?[/quote]
Moot Point. As has been mentioned you can skip breakfast and achieve a caloric surplus.
We are all snowflakes.

[quote]
Wouldn’t that also depend on the goals?[/quote]
Isn’t this my point?

[quote]
You mean we need to now assume the goal is to avoid bodybuilding on this forum?[/quote]
I think we need to NOT assume.

Glad im not the only one then!!

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:

The last few years though, I always seem to wake up absolutely ravenous. I find myself wondering if it’s somehow related to the fact that I eat right before I go to bed each night

[/quote]

This is somthing i dont currently do but will be from now on!

Goals are really to gain lean mass, but regardless of goals isnt breakfast the most important meal of the day no matter what ur goals are?

[quote]JLone wrote:

Moot Point. As has been mentioned you can skip breakfast and achieve a caloric surplus.
We are all snowflakes. [/quote]

Que? Who said you can’t? That doesn’t mean everyone can skip breakfast and meet their overall caloric needs well. What is your point…that we need to start recommending people skip breakfast? because if not, what are you doing?

[quote]

Isn’t this my point?[/quote]

Yeah, one you did NOT raise while everyone was screaming they skip breakfast but one you felt needed to see the light of day the moment I wrote some need it.

[quote]
I think we need to NOT assume.[/quote]

?

Then I would expect all threads from here on out to contain no responses until the poster fills out a questionnaire.

[quote]Chrispy61 wrote:

but regardless of goals isnt breakfast the most important meal of the day no matter what ur goals are?[/quote]

Holly hell no i will edit in an article

[quote]Chrispy61 wrote:
but regardless of goals isnt breakfast the most important meal of the day no matter what ur goals are?[/quote]
Short Answer, no.

Maybe check out a few articles on Intermittent Fasting.
Not that you would necessarily want to do it for mass gains, but just to know whats out there.

In the book ‘SWOLE’ there is a short chapter called “hungry like the wolf”. It basically have 2 tips:

  1. Eat frequent every day. Will make you more hungry. Set a timer every few hours in the beginning. After some time you will start getting hungry before the timers go off. Kinda like pavlovs dogs.

  2. Take a 15-20 min walk on an empty stomach when you wake up. Will make you hungry for the whole day.

I’m not sure if it works but I do both already and is hungry all the time. Not sure if that’s why though.

[quote]AspiringTank wrote:
In the book ‘SWOLE’ there is a short chapter called “hungry like the wolf”. It basically have 2 tips:

  1. Eat frequent every day. Will make you more hungry. Set a timer every few hours in the beginning. After some time you will start getting hungry before the timers go off. Kinda like pavlovs dogs.

  2. Take a 15-20 min walk on an empty stomach when you wake up. Will make you hungry for the whole day.

I’m not sure if it works but I do both already and is hungry all the time. Not sure if that’s why though.[/quote]

Other strategies?

-eat high carb before bed.

-slowly increase food intake over time. No one goes from eating ham sandwiches to throwing 2lbs of steak over night.

-Eat faster. The stretch receptors in your stomach do not immediately signal fullness. The last estimate I read years ago was about 8min.

-Force the morning meal down if you have to. Your body does adapt over time assuming you are growing and training hard in the weight room.

I will now wait as newbs who barely break a sweat in the gym start slamming back doughnuts in the am and blaming it on me.

I have one more tip. Eat your favorite food first thing in the morning. Is is ice-cream? Eat a lot of that stuff. Cheeseburgers from mc donalds? Slam 3 or 4 down when waking up. Choose a food that you simply crave enough that you will eat it anytime. Then your stomach will get used to getting filled first thing in the morning, and you will start to wake up hungry. If you have a hard time eating in the morning and start with boring foods it will not be a success. Here is a picture of an actual breakfast I had during that same period. 5 double cheeseburgers, 1 toblerone and 1 liter of chocolate milk. Yes I got fat. And yes I got strong fast. And yes I learned how to eat like my life depended on it. And no it didn’t have any negative long-term consequences.

Forgot to add the pic.

[quote]AspiringTank wrote:
I have one more tip. Eat your favorite food first thing in the morning. Is it ice-cream? Eat a lot of that stuff. Cheeseburgers from mc donalds? Slam 3 or 4 down when waking up. Choose a food that you simply crave enough that you will eat it anytime. Then your stomach will get used to getting filled first thing in the morning, and you will start to wake up hungry. If you have a hard time eating in the morning and start with boring foods it will not be a success. Here is a picture of an actual breakfast I had during that same period. 5 double cheeseburgers, 1 toblerone and 1 liter of chocolate milk. Yes I got fat. And yes I got strong fast. And yes I learned how to eat like my life depended on it. And no it didn’t have any negative long-term consequences.[/quote]

Personally, I’m just glad that this thread didn’t become an intermittent fasting lovefest.

This website is becoming gay.