T Nation

Struggling to Eat in the Morning

Anyone else struggle to eat first thing in the morning after waking?

Yea I can only eat eggs when i first wake up then 15-20min later i can eat oatmeal anything else makes me sick.

I don’t really feel like eating, so I drink a mixture of water, Humapro, flax oil and an antioxidant/EFA/fruit puree.

ya I struggle, just drink a mass gainer shake. Only takes 2 seconds to make and I drink it on my way to uni or work

No. I wake up and the first thing that comes to my head is how I am going to have my eggs.

Poached vs scrambled vs boiled.
Life is full of tough choices.

tweet

I personally don’t have that problem, but I know a few people who have had it and have fixed it.

For a great start to your day, try having some ground meat in the morning, along with some nuts (for extra energy). For some reason, the ground meat allows you to eat more.

Having someone start this on a Monday, they’ll get used to eating in the morning and come Friday will be ready to eat a horse

When I was first starting out really focusing on my diet and training (not the usual ‘wasted’ years we all experience), I would never be hungry in the morning. Back then I’d try to hide calories, either in shakes, or mixing whatever I could into some oatmeal (usually protein powder and peanut butter).

The last few years though, I always seem to wake up absolutely ravenous. I find myself wondering if it’s somehow related to the fact that I eat right before I go to bed each night, the high frequency feedings throughout the day, or possibly just the larger amount of LBM I’m carrying. Regardless, it’s always my stomach that forces me out of bed in the morning.

S

I am never quite hungry immediately when I wake up either. It helps me to drink a huge glass of cold water right when I wake up. Some mornings I really have to force it down, but I feel awesome 10 minutes later.

If…you…aren’t…hungry…in the AM…don’t eat breakfast…

You really had to create a thread for this?

[quote]facko wrote:

You really had to create a thread for this? [/quote]

That advice would have fucked up my progress from the beginning.

I used to have no appetite in the mornings. Thinking about food made me nauseated. That was one of the reasons I was only 150lbs.

Look, it’s great that some of you have huge appetites…but not everyone does…and these comments keep popping up so much lately it is clear now some of you need to realize everyone isn’t like you.

This is why certain food choices are often made…so that progress can continue even if it isn’t 100% perfect.

[quote]theBird wrote:
No. I wake up and the first thing that comes to my head is how I am going to have my eggs.

Poached vs scrambled vs boiled.
Life is full of tough choices.

tweet[/quote]

Funny, a bird eating eggs.

im never hungry in the morning either, but i know i need calories. 2 scoops of protein and 2tbsp of olive oil goes down easy and its 500+ calories.

Huh i dont eat breakfast. Barely eat lunch. (only 300-400cals) before my 4pm workout. And i get in 4000+ cals in a day. Dont think you need breakfast (as long as you have a good appetite, which i am beginning to think many Tnationers do not have large appetites as these threads keep popping up)

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]facko wrote:

You really had to create a thread for this? [/quote]

That advice would have fucked up my progress from the beginning.

I used to have no appetite in the mornings. Thinking about food made me nauseated. That was one of the reasons I was only 150lbs.

Look, it’s great that some of you have huge appetites…but not everyone does…and these comments keep popping up so much lately it is clear now some of you need to realize everyone isn’t like you.

This is why certain food choices are often made…so that progress can continue even if it isn’t 100% perfect.[/quote]

Eh, I get what you’re saying- beginners CLEARLY benefit from pounding out a ton of calories and these need to be taken in whenever/however they can manage. But at the same time, I do find that skipping breakfast makes me hungry as balls later in the day and helps me to pound out the same amount of calories that I would have gotten by spreading the meals out. Hunger does seem to be pretty personal though, so I guess that might not be the case for everyone.

[quote]ryanbCXG wrote:
Huh i dont eat breakfast. Barely eat lunch. (only 300-400cals) before my 4pm workout. And i get in 4000+ cals in a day. Dont think you need breakfast (as long as you have a good appetite, which i am beginning to think many Tnationers do not have large appetites as these threads keep popping up)[/quote]

Waiting for Prof X… lolz

[quote]facko wrote:

[quote]ryanbCXG wrote:
Huh i dont eat breakfast. Barely eat lunch. (only 300-400cals) before my 4pm workout. And i get in 4000+ cals in a day. Dont think you need breakfast (as long as you have a good appetite, which i am beginning to think many Tnationers do not have large appetites as these threads keep popping up)[/quote]

Waiting for Prof X… lolz[/quote]

Lol.

X- To be more specific to beginners: I don’t think it’s a problem for a beginner to skip breakfast if he KNOWS he has the appetite later in the day to pound out 3000-4000 cals. I agree that it’s a bad idea for someone with tendencies to eat like a bird to skip breakfast in the HOPE that he will be hungrier later on. That kind of eater is better off flavoring some olive oil with a bit of protein powder and pounding it down or loading up on poptarts and sausages lol.

As long as you have a good idea of how many calories you need and how calories you have eaten and hit your goals. Thats all that matters (or i should say the major thing that matters) when you become advanced or are doing a show obviously other variables need some tweaking

[quote]ryanbCXG wrote:

Good for YOU. I said it would have fucked up MY progress. I was a skinny kid with a fast metabolism. Wow…I just wrote some of you act as if everyone is like you and now this?

Holy crap.

[quote]facko wrote:

[quote]ryanbCXG wrote:

Waiting for Prof X… lolz[/quote]

I answered. Any more questions? Everyone can’t skip breakfast and make optimal gains.

We aren’t even sure YOU are making optimal gains.

[quote]bigmac73nh wrote:

Eh, I get what you’re saying- beginners CLEARLY benefit from pounding out a ton of calories and these need to be taken in whenever/however they can manage. But at the same time, I do find that skipping breakfast makes me hungry as balls later in the day and helps me to pound out the same amount of calories that I would have gotten by spreading the meals out. Hunger does seem to be pretty personal though, so I guess that might not be the case for everyone.[/quote]

?? I find that if I skip breakfast, I don’t get the calories I need because it gets harder through out the day.

Why would EVERYONE need to skip breakfast and why do some of you think that because you can, EVERYONE ELSE can?

Further…do all of you think you are gaining at the fastest rate possible?