T Nation

Struggle with Deadlift

My max deadlift is 500lbs, my struggle is my grip. any suggestions?

First, that is a nice deadlift. Keep up the good work. I really don’t know if I have any mind-blowing advice, since you are pulling more than I. I would suggest including a little more detail, which should result in better feedback. For example, is your struggle just when doing a max or near-max lift, or is your struggle when doing reps below the maximum. One issue deals with absolute grip strength, the other deals with strength-stamina. Different training may be required to develop both.

The one thing I have found extremely helpful is to make sure my hands are extremely dry when gripping the bar. Drying with a towel or some chalk may help with this. Just a slight bit of moisture greatly reduces grip strength - at least in my experience.

I wish I had more to give you, but the best I can do is to tell you to keep up the good work.

What do you do for grip work?

Personally, the thing that improves my grip best is a bar with good knurling. When I’m using a bar that’s relatively flat, I have grip problems. When I’m using a bar with really sharp knurling where it really digs into my hand, no grip problems.

Of course, I only use a bar with really sharp knurling during meets so it might actually just be the adrenaline rush.

Other than that, work your grip. You can do things like 1 handed deadlifts, farmer’s walks, and dead hangs. You can also try thick bars and try Captains of Crush but HOLD them closed as long as you can instead of going for reps.