Structuring Personal Training Bounty for Results

Call a few trainers, get knocked back, come back to reality, let this thread die.

John Berardi’s program is taking new people in January. That has a cash prize - sort of the reverse of your idea. Maybe that’ll work for you.

wtf even is this shit

[quote]tsantos wrote:
John Berardi’s program is taking new people in January. That has a cash prize - sort of the reverse of your idea. Maybe that’ll work for you.[/quote]

link?

[quote]10kchallenge wrote:
I’d be curious to know the details of how the hollywood incentives are structured.

Thanks for the 10-20k budget scenario – the meal prep in particular. I may just end up going that route.

Would the scheme be more tractable for a trainer as a base hourly rate + a tiered bonus for results?[/quote]

The incentives are for the actor eg: either get ripped or you’re not going to get the part.

The actor then goes out a hires the best nutritionists/coaches/cooks/trainers they can so that the actor has a chance of a big payday. I would imagine the trainers charge a hefty premium 1) because they’re worth it, 2) because they most likely have a proven track record, and 3) because they know their own value and they’re not going to work for free.

[quote]LoRez wrote:
Can you quantify the results you want to see and the timeframe you’d like to see them? What exactly is your starting point right now?[/quote]

That is one other difficulty – as quantified results are just numbers over this fuzzy concept of looking jacked/ripped – but I think it would be reasonable under my current membership to go from roughly 5’9, 180lbs to +5lbs lean mass or -5lbs fat within 3 months (I gained about 3-4lbs which was unexpected during the intro month which feels awesome to know but I honestly don’t look that much different from it). It would be a nice goal to break 200 at some point but again, that’s just a number.

So basically I’m expecting to gain a few pounds of muscle or lose a few pounds of fat just doing what I’m doing now within three months (which I would frankly attribute to beginner gains – though I thought I burned through those starting at 165 2-3 years ago), so I’d hope an optimized program would be able to beat that by some appreciable margin. If +25lbs lean / -10lbs fat is crazy to do in a year, then I should be happy with paying for those crazy results, if there’s a path to it.

That would be another risk from the trainer’s POV; I could end up being quite happy with the results yet still fail to hit some arbitrary numeric targets.

re: life coach – a life coach would more than likely get me to focus on career rather than indulge in adolescent fantasy of looking like a comic book character, but what’s the point of making more money if you can’t indulge?

“re: life coach – a life coach would more than likely get me to focus on career rather than indulge in adolescent fantasy of looking like a comic book character, but what’s the point of making more money if you can’t indulge?”

I rarely comment on this forum, however, you above statement is just bizarre. I dont know whether you are just overly hedonistic or simply trolling. You either want to train or you dont. Decide.

[quote]Luka24 wrote:

[quote]tsantos wrote:
John Berardi’s program is taking new people in January. That has a cash prize - sort of the reverse of your idea. Maybe that’ll work for you.[/quote]

link?[/quote]

Google: John Berardi coaching.

I don’t believe it is him directly and I think it’s fairly expensive.

There are a number of services out there, depending on where you live, that will consult w/ you for a nutrition plan, make that food for you, and deliver it to your door. That, along w/ any halfway decent trainer should suffice.

Although, you could probably get any trainer to work for results… you would just need to pay them adequately for the risk they’re taking: ie, if they normally make 50/week off a client, you may need to offer 400/mo. I think working on a monthly basis for sub-goals would mitigate the risk on both sides. It’s also not a binary outcome: getting halfway to your goal is still a lot better than nothing. I would also imagine you would have to pay for at least the first month as a gesture of good faith and so they can gauge your commitment. Hell, I’ve never trained anyone except my girl, but she lost 15 and got a lot stronger, I lost over 100 and got stronger, and I’d do it. It ain’t that tough.

[quote]10kchallenge wrote:
I think it would be reasonable under my current membership to go from roughly 5’9, 180lbs to +5lbs lean mass or -5lbs fat within 3 months
[…]
So basically I’m expecting to gain a few pounds of muscle or lose a few pounds of fat just doing what I’m doing now within three months […], so I’d hope an optimized program would be able to beat that by some appreciable margin. If +25lbs lean / -10lbs fat is crazy to do in a year, then I should be happy with paying for those crazy results, if there’s a path to it.[/quote]
I’d say that the fat loss is definitely doable within that time frame, given your current self described lack of discipline and consistency with training and diet.

Honestly, -10lbs fat should actually be doable in 3 months if not less.

+10-15 lbs lean mass should be doable for most people at your level in a year (at least what I perceive your level of training is). More than that might be possible, but that has more to do with your genetics and lifestyle (outside of training and diet).

Since a trainer/nutritionist/disciplinarian has no control over your genetics, that’s a big risk.

Or you could hit some reasonable numeric targets and not be happy with the results.

Unless you give them the power of force, they can give a best effort to motivate/coerce you to follow through with the training and diet, but they can’t prevent you from binging when they’re not around, or doing anything else to hamper recovery.

That’s not to say that some of this work can be outsourced (cooking, diet planning, training planning, hands-on training) but it’s still up to you to do the other stuff (getting enough good rest, sticking to the diet, managing stress levels, etc.).