T Nation

Strongwomen Competitions

I am highly interested in competing in a strongwomen competition. Do any of you guys or gals have any helpful advice as how to get started?

[quote]hammerhard wrote:
I am highly interested in competing in a strongwomen competition. Do any of you guys or gals have any helpful advice as how to get started?[/quote]

Start by going to local contests, if you can find one. The problem is there are not that many that include women. Do a search on the web for strongwomen contests. Sites like:

http://www.nastrongman.com/contestinfo/index.htm

have a listing of upcoming competitions.

Some contests that do not have weight classes for women will let you compete against the men in the same weight class.
There is a woman at my gym that competes in strongwoman contests. She says it beats her up a lot more than powerlifting ever did, but it’s a lot more fun.

I went and watched my first competition last month and was very impressed. There were only 2 women (lots of men) that competed. I am thinking about training for it for next year, but am unsure of just how strong I would really need to be to compete.

Well, I guess that doesn’t help you at all (sorry!), but I’d love to hear about anything you learn along the way…

Also, if you post your location, people may be able to recommend training facilities near you.

[quote]hammerhard wrote:
I am highly interested in competing in a strongwomen competition. Do any of you guys or gals have any helpful advice as how to get started?[/quote]

I currently live in Calgary Alberta Canada. If anyone knows a gym or a training group north of the border that would be awsome

[quote]hammerhard wrote:
hammerhard wrote:
I am highly interested in competing in a strongwomen competition. Do any of you guys or gals have any helpful advice as how to get started?

I currently live in Calgary Alberta Canada. If anyone knows a gym or a training group north of the border that would be awsome[/quote]

Check your PM’s, can’t post the link here.

-Dan

I am glad you could post NAS’s web page.
The only thing with strongwomen comps are there are so few women competing that it is often a waste of time for promoters to include them. This also is a problem for teens, novice, and masters. If you get less then 3 per weight class and the top 3 get trophies and can compete in nationals where is the competition in that? Hopefully things will pick up in Strongwomen so more comps will be available.