T Nation

Strongman Tire Dimensions

So the tire companies around me hate me now. I call and ask for junk tractor tires, they say, “sure, how big?” I say 700 pounds. They say, “well what are the dimensions?” I haven’t had any luck so far, I’ve only run across a few 300 pound feeling tires. Anyone know the dimension (in tire terms) on a 600-800 pound tire?

Just go there in person? they should have a big lot with lots of tires…then you can check it out yourself.

[quote]Gianacakos wrote:
So the tire companies around me hate me now. I call and ask for junk tractor tires, they say, “sure, how big?” I say 700 pounds. They say, “well what are the dimensions?” I haven’t had any luck so far, I’ve only run across a few 300 pound feeling tires. Anyone know the dimension (in tire terms) on a 600-800 pound tire?[/quote]

[quote]Gianacakos wrote:
So the tire companies around me hate me now. I call and ask for junk tractor tires, they say, “sure, how big?” I say 700 pounds. They say, “well what are the dimensions?” I haven’t had any luck so far, I’ve only run across a few 300 pound feeling tires. Anyone know the dimension (in tire terms) on a 600-800 pound tire?[/quote]

Try something around a 30.5R32, or if they want metric, something like a 650/85R38 should get you close. Damn, I never thought being a backwards ass country fuck would ever pay off…

exactly what i needed reddog. Thanks a ton. Coach Staley, that is what I have been doing after talking on the phone. I didn’t have luck so i figured i could cut the “waste” time with specific dimensions

If anyone else is reading this for info.

30.5L-3214 = 602 pounds
30.5L-3216 = 632 pounds approximately (googled)
so anything this size or bigger is what most of us want

[quote]Gianacakos wrote:
If anyone else is reading this for info.

30.5L-3214 = 602 pounds
30.5L-3216 = 632 pounds approximately (googled)
so anything this size or bigger is what most of us want[/quote]

For the truly insane, try a 900/60R32

35.5L-32, those bitches were like 1000 pounds on the data chart i found

http://www.michelinag.com/agmichelints/Diamsearchin.jsp

a bunch of tires on here for specs and stuff

Now that I got the dimensions, I have found a few tires. How hard should it be to flip one. I found 3 smaller than the 30.5L-32 that I was looking for (not much smaller prolly 150 pounds). I flipped them and it took a moderate effort (about 5 seconds for a flip).

Should I go with this tire and work up to a 600 + pounder. Or should it be pretty hard to flip the one I get rather than fairly easy. Sorry for all the annoying questioning, I just want to do this right and not have like 12 fucking tires in my yard.

5 seconds per flip is pretty good. My opinion is it’s better to learn good technique first than worrying about how fast you’re going / how heavy the tire is.

Best advice I got when I started was to go out and do 50+ flips each session. Sets of 5, 10, singles, doesn’t matter, just get the reps in. After a couple weeks I then did time trials - how many flips in 45/60/75/90 seconds…

By the way, I had a Goodyear 26.5 R25 RL-5 that was around 1400lbs. I couldn’t move it an inch back in May, but someone came by to pick it up the other night, so I tried again and got it fairly easily to mid thigh.

I have a bud in the construction business. He could get a ton of these (pun intended). hmmm I may have to buy a sledgehammer and see if he will deliver a tire.

[quote]Gianacakos wrote:
Should I go with this tire and work up to a 600 + pounder. Or should it be pretty hard to flip the one I get rather than fairly easy. Sorry for all the annoying questioning, I just want to do this right and not have like 12 fucking tires in my yard.[/quote]

If its not too far to the tire place, why not go down there whenever you feel like doing a tire flipping session? Then you won’t have to have any tires in your yard.

Remember the weight of the tyre will depend on how much tread is left on the tyre.

I have a 18 by 33 tyre and a 16 by 25 tyre. I got the 16 x 25 first it weighed 430 lbs and I waited until I could flip it 50 times in ten minutes before I got the 18 x 33 which weighs 660 lbs. I can only flip it 10 times in ten minutes at the moment. Once I hit 30 reps in ten mins I’ll get a heavier tyre.

I went to a scrap metal yard to have the tyres weighed.