Strongman Qualities?

What qualities do you think make a good strongman? And which methods of assessment would you use to assess those qualities?

As part of a school project I need to devise fitness tests for a sport. I would like to use strongman competition for my sport and need to devise both lab tests and field tests to assess fitness qualities. Do you think aerobic fitness, anaerobic fitness, body fat, etc are important?

All opinions appreciated

Thanks

If we are talking about a lighter contest like Met-RX WSM and not a heavy one like the Arnold than good conditioning and very explosive and athletic. Think Sebsatian Wenta.

Of course being brutally strong is key…

A good strongman has an extremely high strength-endurance and strength density. Thus, he must have a very efficient and proficient energy systems. He has a lot of ATP-CP, a high lactic acid threshold and a considerable amount of VO2 max. You’d wanna look for measurements of creatine and carnosine in muscle tissues. As for field tests, let your subjects do moderately difficult strongman stuff like farmer walks and car pushes and measure his stats.

Strength and a penis.

Like Kalle said, it depends a little on the kind of contest. However, a couple things that would be common to both the “lighter” and “heavier” shows would be:
-excellent anaerobic endurance (in the 60-75 second range)
-phenomenal posterior chain (hams, glutes, lower back) strength and explosion

[quote]StonesAreFun wrote:
Like Kalle said, it depends a little on the kind of contest. However, a couple things that would be common to both the “lighter” and “heavier” shows would be:
-excellent anaerobic endurance (in the 60-75 second range)
-phenomenal posterior chain (hams, glutes, lower back) strength and explosion
[/quote]

I’d also add grip strength… most peoples grip would give out long before anything else would get too fatigued

Dew rags are key