Strongman Lifting and Back Problems

Call me an idiot but I’ve been wondering about this for a long time:

I keep reading about how spinal flexion is the mechanism for disc herniation yet how do strongman competitors lift the atlas stones with a flexed spine, deadlift with a flexed spine, squat with a flexed spine and axle clean with a flexed spine, and NOT get back injuries.

From my own experience I’ve tried picking up slabs of concrete (or granite or something) that weighed 80kg (very light I know) and getting them up to my chest and have always had back irritation. The same goes for whenever I’ve picked up a heavy deadlift (180 or so) and its gone wrong and my spine has flexed.

Do they not get back problems?

Some of them do, some of them don’t. Personally stones is my strongest event because I can pick up a 300lb stone with a rounded back and have no back pain. It’s just a matter of safely strengthening your back.

how would I safely strenghten my back so I can then lift with a flexed spine?

Good Mornings with a non-flexed spine? Anyone else wanna chime in?

[quote]ros1816 wrote:

I keep reading about how spinal flexion is the mechanism for disc herniation yet how do strongman competitors lift the atlas stones with a flexed spine, deadlift with a flexed spine, squat with a flexed spine and axle clean with a flexed spine, and NOT get back injuries.
… The same goes for whenever I’ve picked up a heavy deadlift (180 or so) and its gone wrong and my spine has flexed.
[/quote]

First of all, I dont think I’ve ever seen a serious strongman competitor squat or clean with a flexed spine. Really not sure what you’re talking about, if you could refer to any specific competitors or instances, that might help.

Second, you’re talking about two different things, in regards to your observations vs your experiences. When a strongman picks up a stone, his back is rounded and stays that way throughout the whole lift, or at the very least to the lap. When someone who deadlifts with a rounded back - like konstantinov - deadlifts, they have a rounded back (99% of the time a rounded upper back and neutral lower back) and maintain that posture throughout the lift. You sound like like you started off arched and slipped into a rounded posture. that’s your problem

As far as getting your back stronger, gradual progressive overload, like anything else