Strongman Gyms in NY

So lets do this. Who wants to organize this?

Amir

Well, like I said, I’m taking the lazy man’s way of organizing. As I mentioned above, next Sunday the 24th, I’ll be at Einsehower Park in East Meadow: http://www.nassaucountyny.gov/official/county/agencies/Parks/Home/Where+To+Go/Active+Parks/Parks_Eisenhower_Park Anyone’s welcome to show up. Mind you, I’m not planning anything spectacular, just a nice day at the park, using my kettlebell and stuff to terrorize the old guys playing bocci ball.

Anyone else have another, possibly better thought out, plan?

Also (an important question) what equipment does everyone already own, that they could bring and share with the rest of the class?

I’ve got a 5 ft. olympic bar, a 7’ olympic bar, 1 pair olympic handles, about 400 pounds of Olympic plates, 1 pair olympic tricep bars which work amazingly for farmer’s walks, a 7 and 10 pound medicine ball, a 75 pound heavy bag which is fun for shouldering, throwing, carrying, a homemade car tire-sled thing for dragging, a 35 pound kettlebell, and an 18 pound kettlebell. And my report cards always said I played well with others.

[quote]Minotaur wrote:
Well, like I said, I’m taking the lazy man’s way of organizing. As I mentioned above, next Sunday the 24th, I’ll be at Einsehower Park in East Meadow: http://www.nassaucountyny.gov/official/county/agencies/Parks/Home/Where+To+Go/Active+Parks/Parks_Eisenhower_Park Anyone’s welcome to show up. Mind you, I’m not planning anything spectacular, just a nice day at the park, using my kettlebell and stuff to terrorize the old guys playing bocci ball.

Anyone else have another, possibly better thought out, plan?

Also (an important question) what equipment does everyone already own, that they could bring and share with the rest of the class?

I’ve got a 5 ft. olympic bar, a 7’ olympic bar, 1 pair olympic handles, about 400 pounds of Olympic plates, 1 pair olympic tricep bars which work amazingly for farmer’s walks, a 7 and 10 pound medicine ball, a 75 pound heavy bag which is fun for shouldering, throwing, carrying, a homemade car tire-sled thing for dragging, a 35 pound kettlebell, and an 18 pound kettlebell. And my report cards always said I played well with others.[/quote]

Ive got a log bar, farmers walk apparatus and an adjustable stone. Im going to get in touch with you for this and even though I prefer saturdays Id like to meet up regardless.

Ill PM you about this.

Amir

I’ve got a homemade sled, and have access to a 2 1/2 inch thick bar.

not much i know.

Hey Amir - It’s Kevin give me a call later - This show’s got me motivated again to try to get qual’d for Nat’s or a Pro Card next year. For the other Long Islanders, STEEL is putting on a show on the 24th. Short notice, but independent shows are usually good to get your feet wet, or just to check out.

Also - The guy who runs NAS in New York is named Ben Lambousis. He’s a great guy who’ll work with anyone serious, and knows the techniques and events real well. His training group usually gets together in and around New Paltz. It’s a 2 - 2 1/2 hour drive, but well worth it if you have the time. A good portion of the top amateurs and pros in the area make the trip up there at least once or twice a month.

Awsome to see you on the site man! Ill call you and I might have some awsome news if all goes well.

Minotaur is arranging something on the same date Kevin, so now its upto you to decide where we go.

Hey Minotaur, you wanna go check out this show on the 24th? If youre up for it let me or Kevin know and we’ll work something out.

Kevins is always extremely upto date on what shows are going on in the area if you are thinking about just giving this a shot Minotaur let me know, if both you and Kevin are doing it I might have to just got for this one as well.

Ill call you tonite Kev.

Amir

[quote]kroc30 wrote:
Hey Amir - It’s Kevin give me a call later - This show’s got me motivated again to try to get qual’d for Nat’s or a Pro Card next year. For the other Long Islanders, STEEL is putting on a show on the 24th. Short notice, but independent shows are usually good to get your feet wet, or just to check out.

Also - The guy who runs NAS in New York is named Ben Lambousis. He’s a great guy who’ll work with anyone serious, and knows the techniques and events real well. His training group usually gets together in and around New Paltz. It’s a 2 - 2 1/2 hour drive, but well worth it if you have the time. A good portion of the top amateurs and pros in the area make the trip up there at least once or twice a month. [/quote]

Amir - I’m going out to Holtsville to pick up apps this afternoon. Give Minotaur my cell #. We can enter up until the day before the show and it’s only 10$ from what I understand. I’ll pick up 5 just to make sure and call you later when I find out the poundages. I was testing the waters this week, and I’m at about 85-90% of where I was when we were getting ready for Ben’s show in March-April, but without any belts, wraps, etc.

If Ken’s poundages are lighter than the NAS standards, then I’ll probably do it since there’s minimal risk of getting hurt at that point. 13 days notice (9 NOW!!!)is shit for getting ready!!! I say we all just go in and compete totally raw (no belts or wraps!!!) and see how the #'s land!!!

where is the STEEL gym in stony brook exactly do they have a site? i couldnt find one

[quote]AMIRisSQUAT wrote:
Iron Island is more a powerlifting gym than a strongman gym but they do have some tires in the back. Leistner, who used to own it, sold it a while back and now runs a strongman specific studio I would call it called S.T.E.E.L in Stony brook.

Amir[/quote]

where is the STEEL gym in Stony Brook exactly…and do they have a website

Ill PM you the address as soon as I find the card. Ive only been there once, when they just started the promotion of it. If not Kevin should know for sure.

Amir

[quote]dyejtmagraven wrote:
AMIRisSQUAT wrote:
Iron Island is more a powerlifting gym than a strongman gym but they do have some tires in the back. Leistner, who used to own it, sold it a while back and now runs a strongman specific studio I would call it called S.T.E.E.L in Stony brook.

Amir

where is the STEEL gym in Stony Brook exactly…and do they have a website[/quote]

alright thanks alot i live in the area but really had no idea where it was defitnly give me the adress once you get it much appreciated

Ok, it isnt Stony Brook, I dont know why I keep recalling it to be in Stony Brook. Anyhow…

STEEL Fitness
12 Technology Drive
Suite 2
East Setauket
631-246-5890

[quote]dyejtmagraven wrote:
alright thanks alot i live in the area but really had no idea where it was defitnly give me the adress once you get it much appreciated[/quote]

All right boys, here’s the skinny on the show next weekend. It’s 10$ a head (really cheap as far as shows go!!!), weigh in is at STEEL by Friday afternoon (his ad says by noon, but he told me that 7pm would be fine), and the exact poundages are about 20 - 30% lighter than NAS shows.

Here’s what he told me for my class (i’m 242 right now, so they’re either the middle or heavy poundages, from the sound of him, they’re more than likely the heavy)
Log Press - 225 for reps
Farmer’s Walk - 180 in each hand (didn’t tell me the distance, but 180 is extremely light)
Super Yoke - 500 (same deal as the farmer’s)
Deadlift - 400 for reps.

The guy who was running the place had a good head on his shoulders and sounded more than willing to work with us, especially if we bring some equipment to the table (like the Brute Strength stone Amir and I co-own!!!) STEEL has a nice superyoke, farmer’s, a 450lb tire, and a few other toys we could use, plus he wants to get even more heavy stuff, especially tires!!!

It’s easy getting there - You take Sunrise or the Expressway to Nichols, go up to 454, make a left at Belle Meade, a right onto Technology, and it’s on the right side, #12, suite #2 (I actually had to Mapquest it for once, Amir!!!) If anyone’s interested, I’ll be there, more than likely competing for the hell of it, since there’s little chance of getting hurt. For first timers, guys, it won’t get any easier than this. Like I said, NAS is easily 20 - 30% heavier than this show!!!

Hey - If any of you know Ben L, who runs NAS for New York State, he won his lightweight pro card this past weekend at the Utah show.

Also - If any of you are really serious about competing, there’s a show in Jersey in Sept. Farmer’s, Yoke, Stones and a Fire Truck pull are the events that I remember off the top of my head. It should be posted on NAS site any day now. If anyone else is interested, I’m thinking about going in. It’s probably one of the last qualifiers for the nationals in NOV.

I would be interested in training in Long Island. PM me!

-Machine

Jersey Show was just posted!!!
Date - Sept. 24
Events/weights (light/heavyweights)
Axel clean and press - 200/225
FW/drag - 220/245
Firetruck pull - empty/full of water
Tire medley (3 flips each lt - 440/550/650, hvy - 550/750/950)
Stones - 180,225,275,300, 330 for both to 48" platform.
If anyone’s interested, I’m probably going in.

Is there any strongman training still happening at Eisenhower Park or anywhere in Long Island?

-Machine

I think it might be worthwhile to try to organize an informal get-together for training. Whether it’s once a week, or once a year.

Seriously, who’s up for it?

I’d be in. Machine - Sorry I haven’t gotten back to you - had some family stuff going on. Will PM you in the next day or so.

Also - What time of day do you guys normally train???