Strongman = CrossFit (More or Less)

[quote]fattymcfatso wrote:
slimjim wrote:
Crossfit = here’s a bunch of random shit to do today

Strongman = here’s a bunch of specific events that you have trained for using planned routines

Wrong.

Every event in CrossFit has to learned and trained to improve on. Strongman = Same.
I have competed in Strongman contests, and done well, and I do CrossFit.
[/quote]

How did your statement prove me wrong?

Also, for the record, the facilities are usually very good. Ours has bands, chains, tires, prowlers and sleds, safety bars and cambered bars, KBs and DBs, GHRs and reverse hypers. Deadlift bars, squat bars, and Oly bars. Basically everything you could ever need to get stronger. I can drop weights, play loud music, and no one gets upset when I curse at myself before a big lift.

Even if crossfit never accomplished anything more than creating good gyms where meatheads like me can be at home, it has still been a positive force in the universe.

Are you headed for the Olympics? Are you going to be the best in the world? Do you train hard anyway?
Plenty of Olympic Champions do and have done CrossFit.
I am a CrossFitter and a Strongman competitor and a former 3x junior USPF nationals powerlifting winner. Who cares besides me?

Do you think you are that different from me? Do you think I don’t want to be good at specific things? Aren’t you wasting your time arguing online with strangers about things that interst/ piss you off, just like me?
[/quote]

To answer your questions:

Yes, Yes, Yes, Who?, Good for you, I guess only you, Yes, Yes, Yes.

See you at London!

[quote]slimjim wrote:
fattymcfatso wrote:
slimjim wrote:

Strongman = here’s a bunch of specific events that you have trained for using planned routines

Wrong.

Every event in CrossFit has to learned and trained to improve on. Strongman = Same.
I have competed in Strongman contests, and done well, and I do CrossFit.

How did your statement prove me wrong? [/quote]

Clean and jerks, snatches, thrusters, back squats, front squats, overhead squats, deadlifts, power cleans, Kettlebell work, Plyometrics, pullups, muscle ups, etc. all random shit to do today. I could just take anyone off the street and have them do well at all of that random shit.

Just like I could take anyone off the street and have them farmer walk, load stones, use a conans wheel, log press, throw a keg, carry a car, pull a plane etc.

Not all strength atheletes periodize their training. Does that mean that they don’t think about or plan their workouts? No.

[quote]Invictica wrote:
fattymcfatso wrote:
Are you headed for the Olympics? Are you going to be the best in the world? Do you train hard anyway?
I am a CrossFitter and a Strongman competitor and a former 3x junior USPF nationals powerlifting winner. Who cares besides me?

Do you think you are that different from me? Do you think I don’t want to be good at specific things? Aren’t you wasting your time arguing online with strangers about things that interst/ piss you off, just like me?

See you at London![/quote]

-What event are you competeing in?
-Erin Cafaro, Shane Hamman(works at CrossFit OKC), Eva Ewardokens (all over the CrossFit main site), and many more.

Invictica wrote:
fattymcfatso wrote:

See you at London!

-Erin Cafaro, Shane Hamman(works at CrossFit OKC), Eva Ewardokens (all over the CrossFit main site), and many more.

[/quote]

“Plenty” of Olympic champions do/have done Crossfit, eh? Cafaro did win an olympic gold with the US women’s eight rowing team in Beijing, I’ll give you that, but neither Hamman nor Eva won gold in the olympics. Ever. And if you think Hamman ever trained anything remotely approaching Crossfit while training for olympic weightlifting competitions you are dumber than a sack of hammers. The specific athletic qualities needed to excel in nearly all events at the olympics are not stressed nearly enough with the “I want to be good at everything” Crossfit mentality. To be the very best internationally at something you need to train to excel at that event, in all cases at the cost of other athletic qualities. You don’t get that with Crossfit.

Now start naming “plenty” of athletes who’ve actually won Olympic gold, as you claimed, using Crossfit as their training methodology, preferably individual strength/speed sport athletes (as that is really what this forum is for) or you will continue to get shit on by almost everybody who posts in your thread.

And one last thing. There is a huge difference between wanting to be “good” at specific things, and wanting to be the best at one thing.

[quote]TheJonty wrote:
fattymcfatso wrote:
Invictica wrote:
fattymcfatso wrote:

See you at London!

“Plenty” of Olympic champions do/have done Crossfit, eh? Cafaro did win an olympic gold with the US women’s eight rowing team in Beijing, I’ll give you that, but neither Hamman nor Eva won gold in the olympics. Ever. And if you think Hamman ever trained anything remotely approaching Crossfit while training for olympic weightlifting competitions you are dumber than a sack of hammers. The specific athletic qualities needed to excel in nearly all events at the olympics are not stressed nearly enough with the “I want to be good at everything” Crossfit mentality. To be the very best internationally at something you need to train to excel at that event, in all cases at the cost of other athletic qualities. You don’t get that with Crossfit.

Now start naming “plenty” of athletes who’ve actually won Olympic gold, as you claimed, using Crossfit as their training methodology, preferably individual strength/speed sport athletes (as that is really what this forum is for) or you will continue to get shit on by almost everybody who posts in your thread.

And one last thing. There is a huge difference between wanting to be “good” at specific things, and wanting to be the best at one thing.[/quote]

Hold on there guy, I never said that You will go to the olympics and win gold in a sport other than CrossFit by traning only CrossFit. Secondly when I said that Olympians Do and have done CrossFit I did not say that they did it to train for the Olympics. You think I’m back pedaling, I know. I do not know the training regimens of all of the competitors in the Olympic games. Sorry.
And I probably should not have put champions, but competitors, maybe I am back pedaling.

Fact is Shane Hamman probably CrossFit’s as much as Cheryl Hayworth does, but he believes in the program enough to coach at an affiliate of CrossFit.

Next, I think it is funny how everyone thinks they are going to be “the best” at something. Are you guys serious? Fact is pretty much everyone who posts on this site is NEVER going to be the best at anything. Only one person can be the best at any one thing and odds are it aint you.

Thirdly this thread was started to show how CrossFit is similar and can be used as a valid tool to train for Strongman competitions. Which by the way is a strength sport. There are alot of other strength sports besides Olympic and Powerlifting, believe it or not.

Also, CrossFit IS a sport. Look up the CrossFit Games and see how big it is getting, and CrossFit is exciting. Do you know how many powerlifting meets I have fallen asleep at? Nothing happens till the 3rd attempts usually. Why do you think you will never see it on TV? You will see strongman on TV because it is exciting seeing people go head to head in an individual sport.

Is CrossFit a strength sport? Yes. Do you have to be strong to win the CrossFit Games? Yes. Are CrossFitters as strong as competitive Lifters? Take a look at Josh Everet: Top 3 at the 2008 CF games.

If you guys want this forum to be called Power and Olympic lifting I don’t know who you need to talk to. But for now it is called strength sports.

Josh Everett, by his own admission, trained for the CrossFit games primarily via Olympic lifting, strength work, short sprints, and a very small amount of metcon. A far cry from the main site WODs.

The vast majority of strong CFers were strong before they ever got to CF.

“Crossfit is strongman for pussies.”

I forget who said that, but it’s pretty true. And it totally fits in with your comparisons! Awesome!

[quote]Sneaky weasel wrote:
Josh Everett, by his own admission, trained for the CrossFit games primarily via Olympic lifting, strength work, short sprints, and a very small amount of metcon. A far cry from the main site WODs.

The vast majority of strong CFers were strong before they ever got to CF.[/quote]

I do not follow the main site WOD’s either. I own a CrossFit gym and I do my own programming. Just because the main site has WOD’s posted does not mean that doing those, and only those workouts makes you a CrossFitter. There is alot of room under the CF umbrella.

Do you know how many millions of people do CrossFit? How do you know who was “strong” or not before they started? If anything doing CF introduces people to all types of other strength sports more than any other program.

If you watned to create a shit storm, well done.

As someone who trains strongman, I’m going to say no. Strongman does not equal Crossfit.

If I had to make a generalization, I’d say people who train strongman are stronger, and people who do crossfit are in better shape cardio wise.

Monopoly

[quote]slimjim wrote:

Strongman = here’s a bunch of specific events that you have trained for using planned routines[/quote]

Thread should’ve ended here.

Threewhitelights post was great, but this sums it up wonderfully.

Crossfit would probably bring a person up to what their body can currently hand fast, and speed their metabolism. Great for health and day to day strength, but competition is what main people train for. Crossfit is not great as the main programme for training for a competition other than crossfit.

Strongman is a competition not a style of training. As he said it consists of a bunch of events that you specifically train for.

The other thing, why do crossfitters hire people who trained another style for 20 years then brag that they do crossfit?

Wouldn’t it be more beneficial to take someone totally untrained then make them into an olympic athlete using crossfit? matter of fact I nice daily video journal. I bet you if crossfit did this the whole world would fall to their knees and succumb to crossfit.

[quote]undesired08 wrote:
tits vs ass.

[/quote]

I’m an ass man myself.

[quote]Monopoly19 wrote:
If you watned to create a shit storm, well done.

As someone who trains strongman, I’m going to say no. Strongman does not equal Crossfit.

If I had to make a generalization, I’d say people who train strongman are stronger, and people who do crossfit are in better shape cardio wise.

Monopoly

[/quote]

Agian with the generalizations. How many strongman comps have you been to/ witnessed. If it is more than 3 then you should know by now that there are plenty of weak strongman competitors. There are plenty of weak powerlifters and olympic lifters. There are also plenty of strong CrossFiters. I do strongman and CrossFit so what am I?
-Ready for you generalization.

“Crossfit is not great as the main programme for training for a competition other than crossfit.”

Powerlifting is not the optimum method of preparing for an olympic lifting meet. But Powerlifting and olympic lifting are great ways to train for strongman. Guess what. CrossFit encompasses both of those methods plus alot more.

“Strongman is a competition not a style of training.”

Powerlifting is a competition not a style of training.
Olympic lifting is a competition not a style of training.
Ping Pong is a competition not a style of training.
What do you even mean by that statement?

“As he said it consists of a bunch of events that you specifically train for.”[/quote]

As I said, you need to train for the events in CrossFit as well.

[quote]BlueCollarTr8n wrote:
undesired08 wrote:
tits vs ass.

I’m an ass man myself.

[/quote]

How da fuck can you be an ass man? Men have asses, only women have Tit’s.
It’s scientifically proven in all medical journals that people are more attracted to tits. Tit’s support life strength and bed rest.

Tits and Pancakes is the way to go, anything else and your a troll.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
BlueCollarTr8n wrote:
undesired08 wrote:
tits vs ass.

I’m an ass man myself.

It’s scientifically proven in all medical journals that people are more attracted to tits. Tit’s support life strength and bed rest.

Tits and Pancakes is the way to go, anything else and your a troll.[/quote]

As long as the tits don’t look like pancakes.

[quote]BlueCollarTr8n wrote:
undesired08 wrote:
tits vs ass.

I’m an ass man myself.

[/quote]

X2

Airtruth wrote:
BlueCollarTr8n wrote:
undesired08 wrote:
tits vs ass.

I’m an ass man myself.

Tits and Pancakes is the way to go, anything else and your a troll.

As long as the tits don’t look like pancakes.
[/quote]

Ass FTW I say

besides, some men have tits