T Nation

Strongman Competition

Getting ready to compete in a show around Halloween and one of the events is 1000lb Wheel Barrel/Yoke Medley. I am able to train Yoke but do not have access to wheel barrel. Any recommendations how I can get a sense for this event not having the proper equipment, maybe other things that would be similar? Thought about doing heavy frame walks but not sure how that will transfer for the wheel barrel. Thoughts?

[quote]popoff602 wrote:
Getting ready to compete in a show around Halloween and one of the events is 1000lb Wheel Barrel/Yoke Medley. I am able to train Yoke but do not have access to wheel barrel. Any recommendations how I can get a sense for this event not having the proper equipment, maybe other things that would be similar? Thought about doing heavy frame walks but not sure how that will transfer for the wheel barrel. Thoughts?[/quote]

I trained the wheelbarrow for the Arnold by training the frame and got 2nd in the event out of 26 people.

The frame up a slight grade would mimic the pick of the wheel barrow and the walking slightly up hill will mimic the having to push into the implement to get it going.

Awesome. Thanks for the tips!