Strongman Comp Preparation

I plan on going to a comp next saturday, 18th, and am looking for ideas on preparation for the contest, for example I am pretty sure that some deloading over the next week and half might be a good idea but am not sure just to what extent, just hit it light or a few days off?

This is only my 2nd contest and my preparation for it has also been pretty slack, (esp since I don’t have access to implements), but I’d like to show up feeling fresh, not burnt out or injured. Any tips for contest day would also be appreciated too, especially for the events as I haven’t had much of any practice on them; events include a medley, (duck walk, tire flip, sled drag), log for reps, farmers, and silver dollar deadlift, (max rising bar format) only event I have experience with here is the farmers.

Thanks in advance.

[quote]Joe84 wrote:
I plan on going to a comp next saturday, 18th, and am looking for ideas on preparation for the contest, for example I am pretty sure that some deloading over the next week and half might be a good idea but am not sure just to what extent, just hit it light or a few days off?

This is only my 2nd contest and my preparation for it has also been pretty slack, (esp since I don’t have access to implements), but I’d like to show up feeling fresh, not burnt out or injured. Any tips for contest day would also be appreciated too, especially for the events as I haven’t had much of any practice on them; events include a medley, (duck walk, tire flip, sled drag), log for reps, farmers, and silver dollar deadlift, (max rising bar format) only event I have experience with here is the farmers.

Thanks in advance.[/quote]

http://www.marunde-muscle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8629

good discussion on contest prep

Personally I am trying 10 days off from heavy lifting this time (comp Saturday) Now if you have any chance of trying out some of the equipment beforehand even if it is the day before I would do it, Just pick the stuff up, don’t really have a training day.

Medely, BREATH BREATH BREATH duck walk I have no idea, doesn’t look like a fun event. Tire: drive INTO the tire, push your chest and arms into the tire, have your feet back a little bit up on your toes, drive into the tire and through it, give a good hard shove on the way down to get some extra distance out of the bounce. backwards sled drag? Lean back grip hard and just drive, block the pain out and just go. If you get to the point to where it won’t move just lean back and move it 1 tug at a tim.

Log, deadlift it up to your lap above the knee, keep the log out towards your knees for the clean, elbows high and roll it up the belly. When pressing don’t push it straight up, push it back over your head and get your head under it.

Silver Dollar deadlift, babypowder up the thighs, wear something that won’t catch on the bar, you’ve been doing rack pulls right?

Good luck man, I just started strongman at the begning on the year but this is some of the advice I have gotten.

Hope it helps, good luck and let us know how you do.

Kalle got ya covered ill just add ya aint getting no stronger between now and then Id take a week offf. If yo can get hands on the implements like the log etc Just go very very light and still days out. rest up come in fresh and have a blast

Phill

[quote]Kalle wrote:
Joe84 wrote:

Thanks in advance.

http://www.marunde-muscle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8629

good discussion on contest prep

Personally I am trying 10 days off from heavy lifting this time (comp Saturday) Now if you have any chance of trying out some of the equipment beforehand even if it is the day before I would do it, Just pick the stuff up, don’t really have a training day.

Medely, BREATH BREATH BREATH duck walk I have no idea, doesn’t look like a fun event. Tire: drive INTO the tire, push your chest and arms into the tire, have your feet back a little bit up on your toes, drive into the tire and through it, give a good hard shove on the way down to get some extra distance out of the bounce. backwards sled drag? Lean back grip hard and just drive, block the pain out and just go. If you get to the point to where it won’t move just lean back and move it 1 tug at a tim.

Log, deadlift it up to your lap above the knee, keep the log out towards your knees for the clean, elbows high and roll it up the belly. When pressing don’t push it straight up, push it back over your head and get your head under it.

Silver Dollar deadlift, babypowder up the thighs, wear something that won’t catch on the bar, you’ve been doing rack pulls right?

Good luck man, I just started strongman at the begning on the year but this is some of the advice I have gotten.

Hope it helps, good luck and let us know how you do.[/quote]

This looks like good stuff, thanks.

[quote]Phill wrote:
Kalle got ya covered ill just add ya aint getting no stronger between now and then Id take a week offf. If yo can get hands on the implements like the log etc Just go very very light and still days out. rest up come in fresh and have a blast

Phill[/quote]

Agreed. As someone wiser than me once said, “You can’t get stronger the week before a meet, but you can get weaker.” Don’t freak out and try to do more work now that you’re this close. Get some good rest, maybe get in some light technique work, and trust yourself.

Oh, and a tip: don’t try anything new (equipment, supplements, etc.) the day of the competition. Trust me, I made this mistake and paid the price. Good luck!