T Nation

Strongman Certifications

There is this Crossfit in my state that has coaches with strongman certifications. There is an infamous video of them having their class doing axle continental cleans and it’s pretty awesome… as in awe inspiring awfulness. What the fuck is this shit?

[quote]man bear pig wrote:
There is this Crossfit in my state that has coaches with strongman certifications. There is an infamous video of them having their class doing axle continental cleans and it’s pretty awesome… as in awe inspiring awfulness. What the fuck is this shit?
[/quote]

From what I can tell this is Crossfit. I’ve seen a lot of guys in really good shape from doing Crossfit. But, on the other hand I’ve seen this crap as well.

That video makes me want to punch everyone involved every time I see it. Just punch all their faces.

This is exactly why people think lifting causes back injuries, although I can’t blame the people in the video for not knowing any better, their instruction is obviously poor to say the least

Tried axle continental cleans for the first time today. Got up to 218x3. Could have cleaned waaay more, it was my jerk that failed first. I suck, yeah. Point being, I videotaped my session and I know my form was better than this, and I had never done them before, AND hit a PR 3RM. These coaches need to be reevaluated I think. Most of those people aren’t falling under the weight or even pushing the weight back, which is the entire notion of getting the weight above your head.

I’m no fucking expert, and I do shit wrong with bad form sometimes. But I mean, use less weight until they learn how to do the damn thing. You wouldn’t let an NFL linebacker punch with limp wrists just because he’s already a “veteran athlete.”

I didn’t know they made 5 pound plates that big.

Personally I think it’s good that people outside the sport of strongman are exposed to some of the implements. Hopefully it gives them a greater appreciation when they see someone in a local contest or on tv doing a lot more weight. However, those instructors are going to get some people hurt. There are some serious form issues that aren’t even being coached correctly. Shouting encouragement is not coaching.

I wonder what the dog (2:19) was thinking???

[quote]RCKM5K wrote:
I wonder what the dog (2:19) was thinking???[/quote]

“I can do better than that and I’ve only got 3 limbs.”