Strongman and AAS Use

[quote]MikeyKBiatch wrote:
molnes wrote:
MikeyKBiatch wrote:
With strongman gaining in popularity the last thing the sport needs is a bunch of attention due to steroid use…
Well it is the truth, and I think generally the truth should be out in the open no matter what. Right now it’s impossible to win anything in strongman without some serious drug use. Those people who doesn’t know this (don’t think there is a lot of them here) should know.

I don’t see why this can’t be discussed like any other issue.

You are correct because people are so quick to quote the truth when it comes to steroidz

/sarcasm[/quote]
That is completely besides the point.

[quote]DMerc wrote:
Something I found on Wikipedia about Mariusz Pudzianowski

“He initially finished third in the WSM contest in 2004 but was later disqualified after testing positive for a banned performance enhancing substance. He was forced to return his prize money, stripped of the International Federation of Strength Athletes points from the event, and received a one-year ban from competition. Pudzianowski did not dispute his banned substance violation and waived his right to have his stool sample verified.[citation needed] He then returned to win the title for a third time in 2005.”[/quote]

Interesting. I read his wiki, although they provided no citation for that claim.

I did some searching around and I found nothing “official” about WSM drug testing, just some old forum posts about how they ‘selectively’ drug test, mainly just to polish their image a bit. Two things: If it is true that Maruisz was banned for a year due to a hot test, it swats down the RIDICULOUS claim someone made about it setting the sport back 5 years, because apparently no one knew or gave a f*ck and WSM is doing just fine. Second, it would strongly suggest WSM’s testing policies are dubious at best, since there are many athletes who use AAS at that level.

Here’s an old IRONMIND news brief from 2003:

IFSA Drug Testing
by Randall J. Strossen, Ph.D. | ©2009 IronMind

“Douglas Edmunds, Ph.D. announced that IFSA would begin a drug testing program this year to help safeguard the health of its strongman competitors. Edmunds explained that the IFSA drug testing program would use a two-pronged approach, which would require strongman competitors to have a thorough annual physical and that the new IFSA athlete contract, in addition to requiring athlete loyalty, would encompass the athlete’s responsibilities in terms of health and safety, as well as his or her acceptance of the IFSA drug testing program once implemented. Edmunds said that the physical would be required starting in April and that IOC accredited laboratories would be used for the drug testing program.”

If you do a search on ‘drug testing’ in IRONMIND’s news section, a number of hits will come up, but nothing newer than 2008. There was an article from May of 2008 that quoted Phil Pfister’s desire to implement standardized drug testing in WSM and America’s Strongest Man, which suggested that current testing policies are nonexistent or just a P.R. veneer at best.

An IRONMIND article about NAS from several years ago also suggested that they selectively drug test (i.e.–only certain competitions that wish to conduct testing), but as most of us know NAS does not have any regularly implemented policy about banned substance testing.

On a related note, beating a drug test is not that difficult, depending on how stringent the testing is. Just look at the NFL. Or the UFC. Or, yes, even the Olympics. Athletes get popped, but for every athlete who gets popped there are 3 who make it through the system scot free. There are ways to circumvent getting a positive test and there are many substances that either have no existing method of analysis to determine bodily presence, or simply clear from the body in a short period of time.

I am pretty sure pudz’s failed test was from recreational drugs not steroids but not 100% sure.

who would be dumb enough to use AAS for strength

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
who would be dumb enough to use AAS for strength[/quote]

No shit, that’s like drinking to have a good time!

[quote]Kalle wrote:
I am pretty sure pudz’s failed test was from recreational drugs not steroids but not 100% sure.[/quote]

Yes, they do regular drug tests for recreational drugs before WSM.

[quote]molnes wrote:
Kalle wrote:
I am pretty sure pudz’s failed test was from recreational drugs not steroids but not 100% sure.

Yes, they do regular drug tests for recreational drugs before WSM.[/quote]

Of course this is the internet, but I remember reading that he tested positive for cocaine. That of course can’t be verified.

why do sports fans moan and groan about AAS use from Olympics, to NFL to baseball to bbing, to track & field, you name it.
who wants to see a guy just a bit bigger than your average, lift or run just a bit more or faster than your average. face it it’s all about bigger faster stronger. and it’s relative so what was impressive a generation ago is now the expected norm.

AAS use is just another progression from manipulating diet, nutrients, specially designed running shoes or swimming suit.
like the powerlifters who groan about the monolift, that “if you can’t walk it out you aint got no business squatting it” I say BS, stop fighting “natural” progression in sport (yes kinda ironic that word “natural”).

[quote]Ruged wrote:
why do sports fans moan and groan about AAS use from Olympics, to NFL to baseball to bbing, to track & field, you name it.
who wants to see a guy just a bit bigger than your average, lift or run just a bit more or faster than your average. face it it’s all about bigger faster stronger. and it’s relative so what was impressive a generation ago is now the expected norm.

AAS use is just another progression from manipulating diet, nutrients, specially designed running shoes or swimming suit.
like the powerlifters who groan about the monolift, that “if you can’t walk it out you aint got no business squatting it” I say BS, stop fighting “natural” progression in sport (yes kinda ironic that word “natural”).[/quote]

Sounds like someone just watched chris bell’s movie :wink:

[quote]musicma1n1 wrote:
molnes wrote:
Kalle wrote:

Yes, they do regular drug tests for recreational drugs before WSM.

Of course this is the internet, but I remember reading that he tested positive for cocaine. That of course can’t be verified.[/quote]

At least it answers the “What is Pudz secret?” thread…

Pudz tested positive 2-3 years ago.So what, He still dominates.

I love steroids, If the world new the truth about gear then gear wouldnt be frowned upon.I know the truth and so do most of you.There are insanely strong men who are natural and there are insanely strong men who juice, big deal.

I hope if WSM doesnt test they keep it that way because it would ruin the allure to the sport.Guys like pudz and poundstone would fade away and the freaky lifts would get lighter and less exciting.

[quote]horsepuss wrote:

I love steroids, If the world new the truth about gear then gear wouldnt be frowned upon.I know the truth and so do most of you.There are insanely strong men who are natural and there are insanely strong men who juice, big deal.

I hope if WSM doesnt test they keep it that way because it would ruin the allure to the sport.Guys like pudz and poundstone would fade away and the freaky lifts would get lighter and less exciting.[/quote]

He didnt test positive for steroids, as stated above they dont test for that, it was for cocaine. Do you really want a 300+ lb man on amphetamines rocketing his heart out of his chest on a made-for-tv event?

[quote]horsepuss wrote:

I hope if WSM doesnt test they keep it that way because it would ruin the allure to the sport.Guys like pudz and poundstone would fade away and the freaky lifts would get lighter and less exciting.[/quote]

^^Cosign

I actually hope these guys are on AAS because it would keep me up at night thinking about what they would be able to lift if they were on AAS.

[quote]horsepuss wrote:
I actually hope these guys are on AAS because it would keep me up at night thinking about what they would be able to lift if they were on AAS.[/quote]

damn yeah that would be so demoralizing to know that those dudes were truly AAS free,
at least this way the average gym Joe can speculate how his own lifts would measure up if he had that kind of AAS resources/ know how.

[quote]Ruged wrote:
horsepuss wrote:
I actually hope these guys are on AAS because it would keep me up at night thinking about what they would be able to lift if they were on AAS.

damn yeah that would be so demoralizing to know that those dudes were truly AAS free,
at least this way the average gym Joe can speculate how his own lifts would measure up if he had that kind of AAS resources/ know how.[/quote]

I know where your coming from but no average joe could measure even up with all the gear in the world.Just like I will never be as strong as my buddy Billy no matter how much gear I shoot up.

Ok, so let me clear some stuff up here. I have been training strongman with Travis Ortmayer for the last year and trained with him exclusively for this years worlds strongest man,and in my prep to turn professional, we have become pretty good friends.

Answer 1- yes, Pudz tested negative for recreational drugs, not AAS.

Answer 2- There is no longer a strongman federation that tests for AAS, an individual running a competition can if he/she desires.

Answer 3- Pudz and Poundstone are on as much gear as you think they are. They also happen to be genetic freaks, have crazy work ethic and have the best training programs that is possible to have.

Answer 4- There are guys at the top who have never used AAS or no longer use them. I wont name any names on this one.

The fact of the matter is like has been stated here, people just want to see big guys move big shit. In my conversations with people outside of strongman most assume that AAS use is common but dont care so much and are still impressed. The general public also doesnt have any real clue what can be achieved naturally. I get asked often if Im on gear with only a 650 deadlift and 500lb front squat.

Thats my 2 cents.

watch from 9:10 this is what the public wants!

Rather than this total shit fest of a thread, I would be curious as to hear actual discussion of what a cycle would look like for a pro strongman.

[quote]jrstrongman wrote:
Ok, so let me clear some stuff up here. I have been training strongman with Travis Ortmayer for the last year and trained with him exclusively for this years worlds strongest man,and in my prep to turn professional, we have become pretty good friends.

Answer 1- yes, Pudz tested negative for recreational drugs, not AAS.

Answer 2- There is no longer a strongman federation that tests for AAS, an individual running a competition can if he/she desires.

Answer 3- Pudz and Poundstone are on as much gear as you think they are. They also happen to be genetic freaks, have crazy work ethic and have the best training programs that is possible to have.

Answer 4- There are guys at the top who have never used AAS or no longer use them. I wont name any names on this one.

The fact of the matter is like has been stated here, people just want to see big guys move big shit. In my conversations with people outside of strongman most assume that AAS use is common but dont care so much and are still impressed. The general public also doesnt have any real clue what can be achieved naturally. I get asked often if Im on gear with only a 650 deadlift and 500lb front squat.

Thats my 2 cents.[/quote]

Thanks for the info, JR.

I never intended for this thread to be a flame-fest; I just wanted an open discussion of AAS and strongman. Facts, fiction, cycles, anecdotes, whatever.