T Nation

Stronglifts 5x5

Folks,

What are your opinions on/experiences with the Stronglifts 5x5 workout philosophy?

For those not aware, its effectively 2 workouts done 3 teams a week ie.

Monday Workout A - Squat 5x5, Bench 5x5, Row 5x5
Wednesday Workout B - Squat 5x5, Overhead Press 5x5, Deadlift 1x5
Friday Workout A repeat
and so on…

I currently go 5-6 times a week on a single body-part per week deal. Decent results but got more exams soon and could do with less gym visits per week and it sounds interesting.

Any experiences that could help my decision?

If your squat is anywhere near 200, do 3x5 if that program interests you. It’s meant for RANK beginners who are squatting 45 - 180 pounds. Otherwise, it’s too much volume at any level beyond beginner.

You posted in bodybuilding; it’s a strength oriented program. OF course you will experience hypertrophy but it’s not the focus of the program. It’s still good for BBers to run a “strength” cycle now and then to move up the poundages they can then use on their higher rep work.

It’s worth noting that Stronglifts is a modified version of Bill Starr’s 5x5 training (Which is really 2 warm-up sets and 3 sets of 5). The more notable descendant of 5x5 now is Starting Strength, not Stronglifts.

Both are good programs for Strength, and decent programs for hypertrophy. So to re-cap: Depends on your level, depends on your goals.

[quote]Samir wrote:
If your squat is anywhere near 200, do 3x5 if that program interests you. It’s meant for RANK beginners who are squatting 45 - 180 pounds. Otherwise, it’s too much volume at any level beyond beginner.

You posted in bodybuilding; it’s a strength oriented program. OF course you will experience hypertrophy but it’s not the focus of the program. It’s still good for BBers to run a “strength” cycle now and then to move up the poundages they can then use on their higher rep work.

It’s worth noting that Stronglifts is a modified version of Bill Starr’s 5x5 training (Which is really 2 warm-up sets and 3 sets of 5). The more notable descendant of 5x5 now is Starting Strength, not Stronglifts.

Both are good programs for Strength, and decent programs for hypertrophy. So to re-cap: Depends on your level, depends on your goals.

[/quote]

I understand. Thanks for your comments.

Squat is about 275 so perhaps i should rethink this.
My goal is hypertrophy. However, over the past 4 years I seem to have made the most progress when trying to get stronger on the big moves. I find to hard to progress strength-wise consistently on 4x8 or other what i would call ‘hypertrophy’ set/rep schemes.

To answer your question about the stronglifts “philosophy”, I think it is a good one. It promotes heavy weights, progressive overload, and compound exercises. As far as the program goes though, I think that it is too simplistic for anyone past the beginning stages.

[quote]johnangus wrote:

[quote]Samir wrote:

[/quote]

I understand. Thanks for your comments.

Squat is about 275 so perhaps i should rethink this.
My goal is hypertrophy. However, over the past 4 years I seem to have made the most progress when trying to get stronger on the big moves. I find to hard to progress strength-wise consistently on 4x8 or other what i would call ‘hypertrophy’ set/rep schemes.

[/quote]

I think you are beyond the level of 5x5. If you really are into that kind of training, I would suggest the Texas Method http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/the_texas_method

Or, if you want more flexibility, 5/3/1.

For a bodybuilding split that matches your philosophy Max OT is a good one as well.

[quote]Samir wrote:

[/quote]
You may be right that it’s for “Rank Beginners”, but it sure as hell is not too much volume for someone with a 200 lb squat. It wasn’t for me and I was around 170 pounds at the time squatting 225 for 5x5. And I was a tall guy. Was it easy? Not really, but it was doable. Sure not long after I had to reduce some sets, but it was and is doable at least for a couple of weeks.

To the OP, get as much out of the program that you can. Go as hard and as long until you have to move onto something else.

Did it for a couple of ten weeks cycle.

I was re learning the squat to a more power lifter stance.

At my age (45 back then) and with a few knee operations 20 years back, it was too much. My knees where killing me. After the first cycle, I reloaded and could only manage 10 weeks again.

I like squatting three times a week, my knees didn’t.

I enjoyed it. It was motivating to see all my poundages in the big lifts go up on a weekly basis.

I am going to do this:

Monday: Squat (5x5), Incline Dumbell Press (5x5), Weighted Pullup (5x5)
Wednesday: Squat (5x5), Military Press (5x5), Deadlift (3x5)
Friday: Squat (5x5), Incline Dumbell Press (5x5), One Arm Row (5x5)

Give it 12 weeks and see how I progress.
I really like the look of its simplicity.

if you can squat 275 then hit up 5/3/1

[quote]johnangus wrote:
I am going to do this:

I really like the look of its simplicity.[/quote]

i would die of boredom - only 25 OHP reps a week? only 50 row movements?

[quote]caveman101 wrote:

[quote]johnangus wrote:
I am going to do this:

I really like the look of its simplicity.[/quote]

i would die of boredom - only 25 OHP reps a week? only 50 row movements?[/quote]

I Gather you have never tried this program?